Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
More rollers for me today. Last three rides have all been roller sessions. I need to back it up with some 45-60km road rides this week, I "think" magpie season is nearly over which is good as there is only one route I know of which is free from the birds now!

Rollers definitely improve power which is what you need for racing, obviously stamina a bit too, but short term power for attacks and short climbs.

From a month back when I came back from having some time off the bike, I have a ride logged on Strava where I felt amazing on the rollers. I'm riding two gears higher than I was back then and for a longer period so I can really feel the improvements.

According to the graph on the side of the box and on the bumpf online, 40kmh on resistance level 0 equates to 300w power... I can do 48-52kmh for several minutes, so I should obviously be signed up by Team Sky for next season....... A little optimistic I think!

Associate
I'm looking to get my 1st road bike since a Raleigh Pursuit I got in the late 80's (which I still have incidentally but it's too small at 52cm).

It'll not be until Spring next year as I'll be getting it through the cyclescheme at work, from my local bike shop which is great & have (I think) narrowed it down to 2 which are similar,

http://www.cyclingandrunning.com/co...erida-scultura-alloy-901-men-s-road-bike-2014

http://www.cyclingandrunning.com/co...de-lite-alloy-91-mens-road-sportive-bike-2014

I'm leaning more towards the 1st linked rather than the sportive. My logic behind this is that I think I'd regret getting the sportive over the other in terms of speed etc. My question is, is my logic flawed? Would the sportive be just as fast & a bit more comfy & is therefore the one to go for?

£750 for a bike that doesn't even have a full sora groupset sounds quite expensive to me, does the bike have to be from your LBS?

Caporegime
On another note, has anyone got any experience buying carbon wheels direct from China? I am speaking to a company there which seems to be very switched on, has lots of good reviews on various cycling forums, appears to use decent components and is a decent price in my opinion.
a lot of the time in china the factories make stuff for big brands and then do some runs of their own without any branding

Associate
My research suggests that Zipp are made from scratch in the States, but i haven't got that much money to throw at a set of wheels. Mavic are made in France. Eaton are made in China.

I am talking to Yishun Bike. They have been very clear in my mails back and forth, answering everything from what model number the hubs are, photos of where the brake track is, their recommendations on what ceramic pads to use, max recommended psi on the rim etc etc.

Even supplied technical drawings of the rim, profile and cross section, photos from every conceivable angle...

Very tempted to take a punt on a pair of 50mm clinchers:-

"The rim is made of 220 degree high TG carbon and made with 24mm rim width. The price for NP50C-24mm width now is 608usd/pair, and weighs 1507g +/-30g/pair.

The Novatec hubs model is AS01CB+FS12CB.

For the rims, 3K matt or glossy...

Every wheelset ordered from us will come with 2 pair free carbon brake pads, spare spokes and nipples.
By the way, we have ceramic brake pads, the ceramic brake pads will greatly protect the clincher brake surface better. I suggest perhaps you can try it. it's 10usd/pair."

The photos all look very good quality, but the proof of the proverbial pudding is in the eating...

Associate
A friend had some Chinese 50mm tubulars his tyre blew so did the side wall of the wheel.

Try wheelsmith, stradawheels & spin cycles for some other handbuilt comparisons

There are certainly variables in the various different chinese manufacturers around. Any idea who he bought from, and how long ago?

Soldato
Personally, I wouldn't risk it with Chinese ebay carbon and instead pay a bit more for some PX carbon tubs or clinchers. That way you are covered if something goes wrong and it has been confirmed that PX use Gigantex rims which are good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom