Capacitive, resistive, pentile etc?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I was discussing touch screen and lcds at work and got slightly confused myself.
Can someone clarify?
I think that capacitive and resistive are types of touch technology, with capacitive now being the 'standard'?
Are there still resistive devices - talking tablets and phones here.

Pentile as understand is more a type of lcd and only affects the display side rather than touch?
It's a Samsung technology?

On the galaxy Note series of devices - part of the conversation - i understand there is an additional technology in the screen for the stylus, but the standard touch functionality is still capacitive?

Soldato
aye, that's pretty much it for types of touchscreens, and pentile is just the arrangement of subpixels.

don't have a clue if there's resistive screens any more tho.

no idea about the galaxy note either :p

Soldato
All phones/tabs now are pretty much capacitive. Resistive is pants - WM6 days.

Pentile is a sub pixel arrangement - 2 sub pixels per pixel. RGB is the norm. 3 per pixel.

Not a Samsung tech no, it's used in their OLED screens due to short life blue pixels.

Galaxy Note uses a WACOM digitizer for the pen input - way more precise than capacitive pens.

Soldato
PenTile is copyrighted by nouvoyance and most smartphone screens use different irregular matrix layouts these days (to get around paying nouvoyance or to improve the screen? Who knows! :D)

Back
Top Bottom