** ANOTHER WEEKEND MEGADEAL: Samsung S27B970D ULTRA THIN LED PROFESSIONAL PLS MONITOR!! - £300 DISC

Associate
Bought one. Thank you OCUK. Was sitting on fence and that price gave me a huge push off. Now of course, i might need a new pc to run it....roll on October for shiny new and gpu cards and prodigy cases.:)

L_D

L_D

Associate
I ordered one which has arrived ok.

Spike - did you get an email with your 1 hour delivery window?

Assume you got your 'shipped' email from ocuk? If so have you tried the tracking link?

Mine is up and running. Came with an EU plug though - had to steal a figure 8 lead from a printer.

Associate
Been waiting all day still not delivered yet surprose to be between 8am to 6pm :(

Check you're tracking info. It's pretty comprehensive and will even show you where the van is although at this point it's probably back at the depot. The guy delivering mine couldn't find the address, apparently. Never mind, another day's wait won't kill me.

Soldato
@HighlandeR, with regards to (semi-)glossy:
It looks like most people seem to hate the graininess of the matte surface, so they vouch for glossy.

Glossy does indeed offer a clearer image, but it also makes reflections more disturbing. I knew this would be a problem when I was buying my monitor (which is actually an HDTV), but because of all the people praising glossy and downplaying matte, I took a chance with a semi-glossy surface. BIG mistake! The reflections are simply awful to my eyes, even on a semi-glossy. I hope the next time I'm buying a monitor, there will still be monitors with matte surfaces...

Btw, it seems it has a GLASS front, which means it will be REALLY glossy. You'd better check the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn3gsyEKzKQ&noredirect=1 video for real-life footage. And I have to say, it's even worse than what I have.

Granted, opinions vary, and if you have full control of the ambient light sources, then glossy will naturally be a better choice. But if not, then you should be prepared for reflections.

Price-wise:
It's really a bargain. The next cheapest competitor sells it around £620. So that's a tangible £120 difference.

Conspiracy-theory-wise:
I think someone at Samsung has been keeping an eye on the forums, and saw the lashing that the Dell U2713HM has been getting for its backlight bleed problems, and realized an opportunity to offer an alternative for these people. Or a Samsung-fan might have tipped them off. Or OCUK themselves might have suggested this to Samsung, too. But in any case, this is a good PR jump for Samsung, indeed. And quite frankly, Dell has nobody to blame except themselves.

@Gibbo:
The description doesn't tell whether it's a wide gamut or standard gamut?

well said. Hate glossy screens tbh.

do they do a Matt version of this monitor?

Associate
Mine came at 12:30 today, been using it all day in a daylight-lit room. Yes, there are reflections, but not too bad at all even with a light on above the screen. I find if I'm focusing on what's on screen I don't see the reflections, it's only when I de-focus or actually look at the reflection I see it. But the clarity is so stunning compared to the Dell U2713HM I returned, it's night and day. The colours look painted on the glass. In comparison the Dell looks like it has a pair of tights stretched across the screen. No matter how close I get to text on the Samsung, I see just very, very clear text, no pixels or anti-glare fuzz. Having used both I'm absolutely fine with the glass front because I see the benefits outweighing the disadvantage. Zero dead pixels and just PLS glow, no stupid backlight bleed.

Gaming is definitely more responsive than the Dell too, less motion blur on a fast FPS.

And - last but not least - physically it's stunning.

Associate
Hoping mine will be here tomorrow, placed order Monday, email says shipped today but DPD still says "We've received your order details, and we're expecting your parcel shortly" @ 19:00 Stoke.

Associate
Mine came at 12:30 today, been using it all day in a daylight-lit room. Yes, there are reflections, but not too bad at all even with a light on above the screen. I find if I'm focusing on what's on screen I don't see the reflections, it's only when I de-focus or actually look at the reflection I see it. But the clarity is so stunning compared to the Dell U2713HM I returned, it's night and day. The colours look painted on the glass. In comparison the Dell looks like it has a pair of tights stretched across the screen. No matter how close I get to text on the Samsung, I see just very, very clear text, no pixels or anti-glare fuzz. Having used both I'm absolutely fine with the glass front because I see the benefits outweighing the disadvantage. Zero dead pixels and just PLS glow, no stupid backlight bleed.

Gaming is definitely more responsive than the Dell too, less motion blur on a fast FPS.

Sounds great Credo hope to get mine today it's stuck at DPD depot in Exeter no reason given just parcel is delayed.
Not worried at all about getting too many reflections got good light control in my room as you said Credo you get benefits with glass to.

Edit 4.10pm an my monitor still in the Exeter wonder if I get it today.

Last edited:
Associate
my one turned up today my god it does look so sexy,comparing it to my acer 120 hz screen ,just been playing bf4 at max settings and res struggling around 44-50 fps with a 780 gtx

Soldato

Nice and thx for the review, as with anything it takes time to adjust and get use to something :)

Associate
The monitor does indeed come with a euro plug, I contacted OCUK and they where unaware that they shipped like this, so are sending out the UK plug for it,

I used a temp plug for it for now, and this monitor is amazing, I was completely blown away at how this monitor preforms, I wish I had bought it a year ago now.

Back
Top Bottom