120hz @60fps

Soldato
Hello guys asked this in BF4 thread but seeing has its a Monitor question think its better I ask here.
This copied from my post.
.......................................................................................................
Here one for you guys

1080p @120hz bf4 video res setting and I locked the frame rate down to 60fps with RadeonPro.
So my screen is refreshing at 120hz but my game is a solid 60fps and guess what it feels and play much smoother. What gives??

So my real question is when I bought the 120hz monitor I was under the impression to get the 120hz real effect I would need 120fps this doesn't seem to be the case here. Setting the game to 60hz @60fps I right away notice the difference choppy/bit slow vs game 120hz @60fps

This normal?

Soldato
Refresh rate doesn't dynamically adjust to match frame rate. In other words, although you are only getting 60 'unique frames' every second, the monitor is essentially duplicating the frames to fit into its refresh rate. The monitor is also giving you twice as much 'visual feedback' every second in relation to your controller movements so things will seem much more fluid than at 60Hz. The benefit gained by additional frame rate (ideally 120fps) would be an additional reduction in motion blur.

Soldato
OP
Refresh rate doesn't dynamically adjust to match frame rate. In other words, although you are only getting 60 'unique frames' every second, the monitor is essentially duplicating the frames to fit into its refresh rate. The monitor is also giving you twice as much 'visual feedback' every second in relation to your controller movements so things will seem much more fluid than at 60Hz. The benefit gained by additional frame rate (ideally 120fps) would be an additional reduction in motion blur.

Thanks
So I right in saying 120 refresh rate and 60fps is better than 60 refresh rate @60fps, because the display is still refreshing the image twice as fast.

All Along I have been thinking I need 120fps to see the benefit. This doesn't seem to be the case. Just tried Fifa 14 for a quick test and that game would agree what you saying. They only difference I notice is motion blur, the game itself felt just as smooth.

Soldato
Thanks
So I right in saying 120 refresh rate and 60fps is better than 60 refresh rate @60fps, because the display is still refreshing the image twice as fast.

Spot on, there is still benefit to be had with how smooth and connected everything feels even if you're not getting >60fps. Extra frame rate serves to reduce motion blur which is another bonus.

Soldato
OP
Spot on, there is still benefit to be had with how smooth and connected everything feels even if you're not getting >60fps. Extra frame rate serves to reduce motion blur which is another bonus.

Thanks mate... For not demanding games I going to run them at 120fps csgo, Fifa14 etc
For bf4 I going to play ultra 120hz @60FPS :D

Associate
60fps @ 120Hz can have less input lag, since the frames are delivered to the screen in 1/120sec instead of 1/60sec. This can have a noticeable effect in input lag.

Also, if it's one of the supported 120Hz monitors with LightBoost, make sure to try out the updated LightBoost HOWTO for even further motion blur reductions through the use of a strobe backlight. The new method now uses an easy utility that allows turning ON/OFF LightBoost via a simple key press!

motion-blur-graph.png

(From Photos: 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost

Scale: 1ms of motion blur = 1 pixel of motion blur trail for every 1000 pixels/sec.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
60fps @ 120Hz can have less input lag, since the frames are delivered to the screen in 1/120sec instead of 1/60sec. This can have a noticeable effect in input lag.

Also, if it's one of the supported 120Hz monitors with LightBoost, make sure to try out the updated LightBoost HOWTO for even further motion blur reductions through the use of a strobe backlight. The new method now uses an easy utility that allows turning ON/OFF LightBoost via a simple key press!

Thanks
Yes I had this running for little while "it's the hacked version to run on AMD without 3D"
While it worked superb, I was once again told I need 120fps to see the benefit of it?

Seeing has most of the games I play Demanding games never hold a solid 120fps on good settings I removed it...

So now I might go back again and try bf4 @120hz @60fps and LightBoost will it work? or they correct 120fps is needed.

Thanks again :D

Here the hack if anyone interested http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Strobelight-LightBoost-Utility-for-AMD-ATI-and-NVIDIA

Associate
You can see my name on that page too.
I'm the one who helped make ToastyX Strobelight work successfully on BENQ monitors.

LightBoost definitely still looks best at 100fps@100Hz, or 120fps@120Hz. (LightBoost works at 100, 110 and 120Hz).
If you can't sustain high framerates, it's probably best to turn off LightBoost for that particular game.
Or buy a more powerful GPU.

Soldato
OP
You can see my name on that page too.
I'm the one who helped make ToastyX Strobelight work successfully on BENQ monitors.

LightBoost definitely still looks best at 100fps@100Hz, or 120fps@120Hz. (LightBoost works at 100, 110 and 120Hz).
If you can't sustain high framerates, it's probably best to turn off LightBoost for that particular game.
Or buy a more powerful GPU.

Thanks
And great work on the Program :D

The problem is I running Crossfire 7950 already quite powerful GPU's games like BF4/Crysis3 Demanding games its not possible to run with 120fps solid..

Even BF3 on low settings can drop its frame rate down...

Associate
Yes, that's pretty true, you need to reduce detail levels a bit, or run slightly older games. Battlefield 3 can more easily run at 120 frames per second if you've got a SLI of powerful graphics cards (e.g. 780 SLI). Crysis3 can run at 120fps most of the time if you've got a 780 SLI, and you use FXAA instead of FSAA. But that can be quite expensive.

P.S. Thank ToastyX too; he did most of the work; created the app for ASUS monitors. I'm the one who got it working on BENQ monitors.

Associate
i have a cheap 120hz screen and just bought a very expensive 60 hz screen and i can defo tell the difrence so i still play bf3 on the 120hz screen.

Associate
It's like.. Once you go black, you never go back.

That's a joke by the way.

Once you get used to 120hz, or to a big screen, it is very hard to go back to 60hz. If you have never used them before, then the jump is going to be amazing for you.

But you need plenty of GPU grunt to run 120hz constant.

I still game at 60hz as I haven't personally tried 120, so I don't get the urge to upgrade my three-months old TV.

Associate
Once you get used to 120hz, or to a big screen
Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too, if you have the right TV model.
See HDTV Refresh Rate HOWTO: True 120Hz From PC to TV.

is 120hz worth the premium over 60hz these days in terms of buying a new monitor for gaming ?
Definitely, but only if you have enough horses inside your GPU.
"Scotty, we need more power".

In a scientific blind test, gamers overwhelmingly preferred 120Hz gaming. (88% could tell the difference)

Soldato
OP
is 120hz worth the premium over 60hz these days in terms of buying a new monitor for gaming ?

Really worth it mate the difference it makes to motion is superb.
It's like.. Once you go black, you never go back.

That's a joke by the way.

Once you get used to 120hz, or to a big screen, it is very hard to go back to 60hz. If you have never used them before, then the jump is going to be amazing for you.

But you need plenty of GPU grunt to run 120hz constant.

I still game at 60hz as I haven't personally tried 120, so I don't get the urge to upgrade my three-months old TV.

The reason I started this thread was because of things like your post :)

You don't need a powerful graphics cards to enjoy 120hz. Running bf4 at 120hz and the game at 60fps is still much smoother than running the game at 60hz at 60fps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom