Car Insurance Question, How To Answer This ?

Associate
It's renewal time, I'm currently insured with Tesco with two additional drivers, one of these drivers had an accident & claimed, it states this on my renewal but it refers to the named driver only. The renewal price is £1808. I had three years no claims but lost two so now have one years no claims.

I've asked for a renewal price without the additional drivers & received a quote of £780, quite a difference!

I'm shopping around now & have received quotes of £520 (Octagon, never heard of them?) right upto £1100 (Aviva). Aviva asked about claims but state this can be answered 'No' as any claims made by additional drivers will be asked about in the additional driver section.

Aviva word it as such, "You don’t need to include claims made by other drivers in this section as these will be asked within the additional driver details section". Rubbish price anyway so I won't be taking them up, at least it's clear I don't need to announce the claim made by the additional driver.

So I come to my question, I've received a quote from More Than of £580 which seems reasonable, the question is how do I answer the following queston?

"Have you had any motor accidents, losses or thefts in the last five years regardless of whether a claim was made or not?"

In the help section it states the following, "You must let us know whether you've had any motor accidents, losses or thefts in the last 5 years. Please let us know any details that might be relevant, even if you didn't make an insurance claim."

Can I answer no? I don't want to be dishonest & find my policy is void?

Thanks people!

Soldato
A claim is always made by the policyholder, that is why your no claims bonus went down.

What Aviva referring to are claims made by additional drivers on different policies where they are the policyholder.

Phone them up if you are unsure.

Soldato
You haven't had an accident, so the answer is no.

On your new insurance, you are not asking for them to be insured, so you dont need to answer any questions about them.

Soldato
You answer No.

AFAIK, all (?) insurance companies operate similar to this:

"You don’t need to include claims made by other drivers in this section as these will be asked within the additional driver details section".

You lost your no claims discount, because a claim was made on your policy.

They're now trying to assess your risk based on whether you've been involved in any accidents or not. You haven't.

If you added the other driver, then there would be a section to fill in for each additional driver, stating whether they had had any accidents in the last 5 years (or similar question).

Pretty sure that's how just about every policy quote I've looked at has worked.

Associate
OP
You answer No.

AFAIK, all (?) insurance companies operate similar to this:

You lost your no claims discount, because a claim was made on your policy.

They're now trying to assess your risk based on whether you've been involved in any accidents or not. You haven't.

If you added the other driver, then there would be a section to fill in for each additional driver, stating whether they had had any accidents in the last 5 years (or similar question).

Pretty sure that's how just about every policy quote I've looked at has worked.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I helps! The above sounds plausible to me & makes sense, I think I'll be taking More Than up on their offer.

Associate
Simply answer, your taking the insurance out in your name, so their asking if 'You' have had any accidents, which you haven't, so you answer 'No' :)

Soldato
You are failing to understand that an additional driver cannot make a claim. The policyholder who owns and pays for the policy makes the claim.

Phone them up. People here are giving awful advice.

You have had a claim even if you didn't have the accident. Otherwise you would not have lost your no claims bonus.

Back
Top Bottom