*** iPhone 5S/5C - September 10th ***

Associate
Was hoping to have my 64gb Silver 5s in time for me holidays starting Thursday, looks like that isnt going to happen now. Nearest Apple store for me is Bluewater, i'll give them a call to see if they have anything in stock. Anybody been in that store or likely to go in today?

edit : looks like its gettig ready to be dispatched as I can no longer cancel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well finally, 5S is here and set up. :D Initial impressions: fast, lovely to have the extra screen estate but still in reasonable limits, camera is awesome, TouchID is very slick and the Lightning connector is a massive step up from the 30 pin job.

Coming from a 4 this was well worth the wait and the cost. Pleased.

For those interested in the case, here's some dodgy pics taken with an SLR in potato setting. :D

The colour/gamma calibration on my monitor is terrible, is anyone wants to lend me a colour tool that would be awesome. :D

Spigen Lightning cable works a treat btw, and the screen protectors go on well. The Crystal Optics one has a horrible feel to it mind, feels like an old overhead projector acetate. That'll be coming off shortly!

Hi randal sorry to be a pain, but what is the exact name of the case you have in the pics - there seem to be a few on spigen's website and im having trouble finding your one. Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Was hoping to have my 64gb Silver 5s in time for me holidays starting Thursday, looks like that isnt going to happen now. Nearest Apple store for me is Bluewater, i'll give them a call to see if they have anything in stock. Anybody been in that store or likely to go in today?

edit : looks like its gettig ready to be dispatched as I can no longer cancel.

my girlfriend checked for me a few days ago and they had Black 32gb and 64gb. she checked at blue water

I picked up myself a 64gb Black from belfast yesterday :D

im happy with the upgrade, and the leather apple case is a really nice fit.

going to sell my 32gb 5 now. hoping for decent money back. they seem to be holding value well on the bay??

Last edited:
Soldato
Not going to have much in the way of that at the moment with how short stock is.

From what I've seen on Mac Rumours as well, most people who have been in that situation at launch have usually had to wait.

How long is said wait? From previous experience the stock for service units is very much separate from the stock for retail devices. I've got a replacement coming in the next three to five days (according to the confirmation email and what they said over the phone). Weirdly, they've said to me that they're providing me with a fully boxed (ie. cellophaned, retail) unit as opposed to a white box one, which isn't really normal, however this is the first time I've purchased an iPhone at launch.

If you were to contact them now you'd probably not be waiting any longer than a few days, from what I've heard so far.

Soldato
How long is said wait? From previous experience the stock for service units is very much separate from the stock for retail devices. I've got a replacement coming in the next three to five days (according to the confirmation email and what they said over the phone). Weirdly, they've said to me that they're providing me with a fully boxed (ie. cellophaned, retail) unit as opposed to a white box one, which isn't really normal, however this is the first time I've purchased an iPhone at launch.

If you were to contact them now you'd probably not be waiting any longer than a few days, from what I've heard so far.

I was more referring to instore.

You have to bare in mind that there will be people returning a lot around a launch because of defects, plus this gyroscope thing has some people already doing so. So instore replacement stock is going to be short until things have levelled out.

Soldato
My 32GB gold arrived this morning, upgrading from a 4, it's a nice improvement and feels much lighter.

P1030455_zpseee498c5.jpg

P1030456_zps3981ea06.jpg

Soldato
The gold really is quite subtle, sometimes it doesn't look gold at all, then when it catches the light you see it.

The difference in weight is quite noticeable coming from the 4S, it feels much lighter.

Soldato
My gold (or champagne as I prefer to call it to avoid being a complete chav) 32 gb arrived today, 3 days ahead of schedule. I've had a few problems restoring everything from my 5 (it didn't like the combo of restore and update to iOS 7.0.2) so I haven't yet had the chance to properly play with it.

It looks great though - feels a little lighter than the 5 but that may just be the impression it gives being white instead of black.

Soldato
I jailbroke my iPhone 3G back in 2008 and one of the things I did was enable battery percentage (something that wasn't in the stock firmware then). I have never been able to turn it off since then, even when the toggle was added to the settings it didn't have any effect, it was baked into my backup. 5 Years later on my 5s I've resorted to "reset all settings" to clear up that and any other strange settings I might have had baked into my backup.

Soldato
Realised that the power button on mine is noticeably rattly, as its looser, compared to the 4S and 3G I still have.

You of course notice it if you shake it, but even just bringing it up to your ear and moving slightly you can hear it. Seems like most are affected by this though, so its either return it, or otherwise wait a few months to see if its ironed out and try and get a replacement.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Realised that the power button on mine is noticeably rattly, as its looser, compared to the 4S and 3G I still have.

You of course notice it if you shake it, but even just bringing it up to your ear and moving slightly you can hear it. Seems like most are affected by this though, so its either return it, or otherwise wait a few months to see if its ironed out and try and get a replacement.
Without sounding patronising, but do you realise that the rattle is the accelerometer? All iPhones make a rattle if you shake or gently tap them.

Soldato
Without sounding patronising, but do you realise that the rattle is the accelerometer? All iPhones make a rattle if you shake or gently tap them.

Its not the accelerometer.

As I've already stated, its a loose power button.
I know this because I can feel, see and hear the button moving. Further to that, its easily demonstrated by lightly holding the button, then when you move or shake the device, the problem is no longer there.

Soldato
Got my 5S all sorted now and touch ID is simply brilliant. Its not a novelty, its genuinely an enhancement to every day use.

Only slight issue I have is that the home button clicks when depressed, likes it catching or something on the way back up. I will see how I get on but I think I might be looking for a replacement from Apple.

Back
Top Bottom