• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Soldato
Gibbo can you let us know when stock levels on the pre order are about to run out? I'm getting more and more tempted to put a deposit down...

Soldato
Gibbo when will the 290 NDA lift?

I think it's 15th October.

I'm interested in the 290 myself. You expect to pay a premium for the 290X because "it's the fastest", so hopefully that should make the 290 very well priced with only a small reduction in performance. If you're only using a single monitor at non-4K resolutions, I can't see there being much of a noticeable difference for most things.

Last edited:
Associate
I pre-ordered the BF edition - can i just confirm, do i get an email or a phone call re: if i want to continue and if so choose a model, or is the done via email?

Also, having not made an AMD purchase in some time can anyone recommend a manufacture (appreciate all reference, interested in comments re: warranty).
I normally got with EVGA for NVDIA, and they have been great. Totally in the dark here.

Soldato
I pre-ordered the BF edition - can i just confirm, do i get an email or a phone call re: if i want to continue and if so choose a model, or is the done via email?

Also, having not made an AMD purchase in some time can anyone recommend a manufacture (appreciate all reference, interested in comments re: warranty).
I normally got with EVGA for NVDIA, and they have been great. Totally in the dark here.

There's a thread about that:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18231329

Soldato
What are the chances the 290 is just a 290x with a hindered bios... oh please please please! Will anyone be brave enough to try flashing a 290 with a 290x bios?

Last edited:
Associate
What do people here reckon on getting a 290 (not X) for gaming at 1080p with all the bells and whistles enabled? Overkill or good buy

Thats the thing, no one knows yet , untill the NDA is lifted and untill the reviews and benchmarks everything is just speculation . However everything is going to be down to price but with the current pricing structure of the 280x i think we're all in for a nice suprise !

Caporegime
Overkill at the moment.

But if texture resolution does increase, then I see nothing wrong with future proofing yourself with one. Even the new COD game on PC needs 6GB Ram minimum and has 'Mega Textures' and the original basis for that game engine was Quake 3!

Soldato
Quite tempted by the regular 290 over the 290X. Could be the sensible choice if it overclocks well.

Depends on price/performance differentials.

Thats the one I've got me eye on.More than likely don't need the extra horse power just yet but it should prove worthwhile if I upgrade me monitor at a later date or games need more oomph to run 'em.

Soldato
It'll be really difficult to not laugh if they are priced that high after all the people rubbing their hands together on a budget lol. It's easy enough to believe as it will still undercut the Titan.

For me the deal breaker is essentially Mantle, and seeing as we won't see any conclusive numbers till December it's difficult to know just how much value you may be getting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think this is an old story

AMD can change the price right up to the time the cards launch.

+1, Gibbo already addressed this, AMD have not set any price at all yet for the R9 290/X, no one has even the faintest idea of how much they will cost, they may not know right up until literally the very last minute.

The only thing that is certain is that it will cost more than the R9 280X, and thats it.

Back
Top Bottom