New NUC, HD5000, 4x USB 3.0, infrared sensor

Associate
Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Hd bitstreaming and 23.976 fps playback

R3X

R3X

Soldato
lovely box but should have been passive, I hear most nucs were noisy with there tiny fans.

If you see the mintbox and others they all are trying for a passive/fanless system, some also including a line input for dedicated sources.

Its nice to see a headphone jack but its late and they should have really had a line in, these tiny boxes are great for htpc or media purposes really, especially with an infra reader on front.

Still a nice box if you can work around these lack of features, also there are some passive nucs due soon I believe based on the same specs!

RJC

RJC

Don
I had the Celeron version and was only noisy when stressed hard, during playback never heard it at all.

Soldato
Finally. Glad they released it with 4 USB3 ports. These can easily replace most people's main computers. There is no reason to have a massive case anymore unless you are a bencher or a folder.

Soldato
Rather interesting. Looks to be the same CPU as the i5 Macbook Air? Might give this some thought, as I only play Minecraft or equally demanding games on my desktop now, and would rather have desktop for general internet/MC/working at home with.

Might go ITX depending on budget, but does seem a power little box. :)

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I had the Celeron version and was only noisy when stressed hard, during playback never heard it at all.

thx good to not hear :)

Although you did have a celeron chip and they are often not that powerful and hot to run, I have heard few bits from others especially with core i3/i5s that it does get a bit hot and the tinny fan can be whinny once its revved up onload.

Hopefully still this new version will be much cooler and the fan & heatsink is hopefully better.

I have always wondered if it was a good idea to build a mini itx, but you cant beat these nucs or gigabrix for power usage and considering they are powerful enough to do surfing/media and day to day activities including full HD without issue you just can't go wrong.

Looking forward to the new NUC range I hear they are due end of this month to October/November.

Soldato
The bay trail does seem rather interesting.

I can say on 'balanced' the HD5000 graphics do a constant 120FPS on Minecraft with fancy graphics. That is running on OS X though, but i'd expect similar with Windows.

Associate
So a load of articles are popping up now on google with a title like:

'Intel Announces Availability of NUC Kit D54250WYK'

There is no mention of a release date or price, what does it mean then?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
yeah bit strange lots of reviews and mention of the new intel nuc... but nothing on its availability or price, was due end of september... still early days.

I have a feeling it will be pricey but hopefully not, these nucs are the smallest and most powerful systems going around, can easily replace a full size tower if all your doing is surfing/telly/music stuff and with the performance and lowest power usage it makes it very ideal.

Soldato
that is not too shabby $360, yeah sadly most likely it will come around £300-330 bare bones kit.

Then you gotta add ram/msata, which may set you back £60-100.

Considering you still get something that is powerful as an average desktop pc and more then capable of general duties other then high end gaming. One can couple it with an external soundcard from Asus and sorted :)

Back
Top Bottom