*** League of Legends ***

Associate
Cloth armour won't help you too much, v Zed a lot of his damage is magic related, the cloth will help you against his harass but his damage will still hurt yoou - think about anegatron cloak later on (before buildign to abyssal septer

I just want to take a moment to point out that Zed does purely physical damage, none of his abilities do magic damage.

In fact rushing a Zhonya's Hourglass is one of the best ways to counter him as an AP Champion, the early seekers gives you plenty of armor against his lvl 6 all in and by the time he gets really scary (lvl 11+) you will have the active to completely negate his Ultimate. Although counter-intuitively if you are an AD you will want a QSS, as even though it is a pure MR item it will cleanse his Ultimate before it procs allowing you to survive in a teamfight against Zed as the roughly half of his burst comes from the Ultimate proc.

Anyway nvm me, I'll go back to lurking. Just couldn't let that one sit there for newer players ;)

Don
I just want to take a moment to point out that Zed does purely physical damage, none of his abilities do magic damage.

In fact rushing a Zhonya's Hourglass is one of the best ways to counter him as an AP Champion, the early seekers gives you plenty of armor against his lvl 6 all in and by the time he gets really scary (lvl 11+) you will have the active to completely negate his Ultimate. Although counter-intuitively if you are an AD you will want a QSS, as even though it is a pure MR item it will cleanse his Ultimate before it procs allowing you to survive in a teamfight against Zed as the roughly half of his burst comes from the Ultimate proc.

Anyway nvm me, I'll go back to lurking. Just couldn't let that one sit there for newer players ;)

Didn't know that - thanks :) I'll edit out my post to correct the noobish mistake :)

Soldato
Yeah I was gonna say :p

That was indeed my intention when I fought Zed but that is 1 game I should really learn from... didn't flash the J4 flag pull thinking I'd be ok then got bursted down because of how easily Zed can gap close with his shadow. By the time I did get the Zhonya's it was a little late :(

I might give leveling up the W first a go to see how it does for poke. I really need to work on my last hitting ability with auto-attacks anyway as using the Q pushes the lane quite easily and never fast enough to have them die to the tower before the next wave has got there so I always end up further up the lane.

Associate
In regards to Ahri's skill leveling, it really is matchup dependent and how good you are at landing skill shots. Yes W is guaranteed harass however it does less damage, places you further up the lane exposing you to ganks and leaves you at risk of taking return damage.

I mean you are going to put yourself at serious risk if you try to get your W procs off onto a fizz or TF.

Maxing Q gives you more damage, more wave clear and more sustain from your passive if you use it through a cannon minion wave.

Soldato
Played my first PVP match before, and won! Managed to hold it together and ended 10/10/4. Level 12, slow and steady :D

That was with Ahri who I'm starting to enjoy playing with once I've bought a few things, seems earlier on in the game she's difficult to kill someone with, but that's probably just me!

Soldato
I get the feeling I need to stop playing Blind pick but I just know that every time I try a Draft pick I'm going to get last pick and be forced to play Support when I want to play Mid. At least with Blind I've been able to first call Mid more often than not but it is such pot luck as to whether or not the rest of the team are utter retards.

Just finished a game where player decided to ignore calls and lock in mid and decided to come with me, another decided to lock in an second adc and then attempt to play duo top. So no jungler/support. Bottom fed and afk'd. Ez fed and kept leaving. Brand eventually decided to try and roam around and kept dying.

Associate
I get the feeling I need to stop playing Blind pick but I just know that every time I try a Draft pick I'm going to get last pick and be forced to play Support when I want to play Mid. At least with Blind I've been able to first call Mid more often than not but it is such pot luck as to whether or not the rest of the team are utter retards.

Just finished a game where player decided to ignore calls and lock in mid and decided to come with me, another decided to lock in an second adc and then attempt to play duo top. So no jungler/support. Bottom fed and afk'd. Ez fed and kept leaving. Brand eventually decided to try and roam around and kept dying.

If you cant deal with pick order over call then learn other roles, you arent always gonna get mid xD

Associate
Recently... well i say recently been playing thsi for a few months now, tried it at multiplays i48 series but didn't enjoy it then i got home and fred it up again and fell in love with this now i cnat stop playing :D just getting annoye with the ELO hell atm but im sure maybe there will be less trolls around at later times of the day haha.

But yeah greta game love it :) :eek:

Summoner Name uK Cooki3

Last edited:
Soldato
If you cant deal with pick order over call then learn other roles, you arent always gonna get mid xD

Well that is a valid point but I feel like far too many of my games I've been sat on Support Sona and not really picking much up. Sure a good Crescendo can make or break a team fight but you are more or less completely at the mercy of your ADC. I do want to try and learn the other roles more but after spending RP on Ahri because I wanted a proper mid champ (Annie is great fun but doesn't really cut it :p) I wanna try and focus on it for now.

I do want to try Mordekaiser top (even though it probably won't be as epic as 6v4 makes it out to be ^^) and I've just finished a game on Nocturne Jungle where everything seemed to go brilliantly. Ended 6/1/5 after the other team surrendered, had fairly decent ward coverage. Counter jungled when I knew the Lee Sin was away. Helped the lanes where I could.

Like other people it seems every time I join a Draft Pick I wind up 4th or 5th pick. I dunno, maybe I've just convinced myself it'll suck to play.

Soldato
Just play a lot of normal draft and play the free champs, you will get flamed and you will get angry but you will also learn. A lot.

It's very important to learn to play every role and that includes support. If you are finding Sona dull then try another support (I recommend Leona or Zyra). I also find supporting as Sona boring as hell so I picked up Leona and absolutely love it!

It's just about finding a champion that you enjoy for each role there is and then when you are forced to do something that you don't particularly want to you really don't mind much.

Associate
I have a Logitech g600 and I find it great for LoL, and I have all of my abilities mapped to the side buttons, the only problem is I cant seem to use smart cast using the mouse buttons. has any one done this, can it be done? When ever i try to use my smart cast ist just activates like a normal ability , any help appreciated.

EDIT: solved this by hotkeying the abilities to other keys, mouse must not like shift clicking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just play a lot of normal draft and play the free champs, you will get flamed and you will get angry but you will also learn. A lot.

It's very important to learn to play every role and that includes support. If you are finding Sona dull then try another support (I recommend Leona or Zyra). I also find supporting as Sona boring as hell so I picked up Leona and absolutely love it!

It's just about finding a champion that you enjoy for each role there is and then when you are forced to do something that you don't particularly want to you really don't mind much.

Prefer to just play an AI game if I want to try out a new champ. Given the stupidity of bots it lets you test it out and more importantly, lets you see how strong it can be if you get ahead. An important thing to know when your team is feeding :p

Not saying Sona is boring. I just mean supporting in general. Normal Blind Pick have been exceptionally hit n miss and as a support you are completely at the mercy of your ADC. Sure you learn some stuff from playing the role and its not a bad thing to play it now and then but its not a brilliant role to play solo.

Soldato
Generally speaking - don't rank until you're at a decent level across all of the roles :)

There's no need to be good at all roles, 3/4 is enough as long as you can jungle/support decently. Sometimes you will just get stuck Supporting and Jungle is a nice role because no one tends to argue over it.

I only really play 3 roles particularly well, those being Jungle, Mid and Support (in that order). I can do Top but I find it a bit tedious and disconnected from the rest of the map, my worst role by miles is ADC mainly because I just don't play it.

Last edited:
Don
There's no need to be good at all roles, 3/4 is enough as long as you can jungle/support decently. Sometimes you will just get stuck Supporting and Jungle is a nice role because no one tends to argue over it.

I only really play 3 roles particularly well, those being Jungle, Mid and Support (in that order). I can do Top but I find it a bit tedious and disconnected from the rest of the map, my worst role by miles is ADC mainly because I just don't play it.

Don't agree, I think you need to at least be at the appropriate level on all roles as it gives you greater understanding of what the enemy champion will do, the types of build etc;

Soldato
Don't agree, I think you need to at least be at the appropriate level on all roles as it gives you greater understanding of what the enemy champion will do, the types of build etc;

LoL is far from complex enough for that to be necessary, at least below the Pro level. It is very easy to get a solid understanding of a champion/role you don't play that much just by playing against them and doing some research. For instance I don't play Corki but I understand his abilities and builds by laning against him as Mid and Support. I haven't played a lot of champions but I can play against them.

Another problem is time, I certainly don't have the time to practise all 5 roles and still have a hope of improving enough to advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am probably the worst jungler in the game. I've probably jungled 20 times in my 2000+ games. Doesn't stop me doing well in ranked though, I've never had to jungle in my roughly 300 games of ranked.

Learning mid (cuz mid and top are the same thing) and AD is just fine for going into ranked. If you're forced to play support it's whatever, you don't have to learn how to support to do well at it. Everyone gets better at it passively as they get better at the game. Keep bot lane warded, don't take unnecessary damage and use your spells correctly in all ins and you'll do just fine as support.

Last edited:
Associate
2 roles plus support is what I was told to learn, I was suggested to learn jungle, support and top.
Most people jump to play ADC *sorry marksman* and mid as that is where all the glory is when they watch the EU teams in the LCS.
I found learning the basics of top laning (last hitting, zoning, wave pushing/freezing etc) put me in pretty good stead to hit midlane if the need came, as the mechanics at least when in lane phase are similar but your able to go a little more selfish with your build style. I guess this could be said the same by learning mid and moving to top lane.
Playing as support should make you appreciate and learn ADC or at least the basics by osmosis.

I have a few friends that learn a single hero in different lanes/capacities, so practicing the mechanics of a role rather than learning the mechanics of a new hero for each. However this is not something you can do in ranked matches a lot of the time and only a handful of characters are able to for fill more than 3 roles effectively.

Back
Top Bottom