New NUC, HD5000, 4x USB 3.0, infrared sensor

Man of Honour
I hope its not insanely priced. I want one of these for the lounge.
And with hd5000 it should be fine at handling most games.

Man of Honour
Found it listed for £285 on a UK site. Not out for another 2-3 weeks.

What else needs adding? Ram & ssd isn't it? Or is that just for board?
If so thats not bad, then another £80 for the silent case, assuming whoever it is makes an updated passive case.

Soldato
These look really interesting actually. Great stuff for a small HTPC for streaming. I personally wouldn't bother with any sort of gaming tbh. Even my A10-5700 in my HTPC really struggles with gaming at any sort of decent settings. Granted it can cope with things like Dirt 3 at 1080p but Fifa 13 @720p on lowest settings is barely 30fps. Then it begs the question, for streaming media from a server why not consider a Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc or OpenELEC and using TV remote to control it.

Soldato
All you need is Ram (So-dimm DDR3) and mSata. You can get 8gig ddr3 sodimms cheap from MM, and even brand new 480gig Crucial M5 mSatas for £159 quid.

In regards to the silence factor well its using the new haswell chip, and they have improved the thermal and heatsink design so hopefully the fan will be nice and silent. Am sure over time there will be many 3rd party passive heatsink nuc cases for it also.
Even ones slightly larger to allow for the use of a 2.5 ssd or 2tb hopefully.

I think Raspberry Pi is great for just streaming but your limited, an intel nuc will handle anything you throw at it. Most likely 30gig Mkvs, 720p/1080p via a streaming website like youtube or other. You have option to use windows 8.1/Linux and enjoy full driver support, same HD quality you would get from your pc... but yeah cost 10x more!

Associate
I like the size and can see it being very nice for a media pc, but if I wanted to actually do anything more strenuous on it, I think I'd rather opt for something M-ITX sized (which would probably work out around the same price too). AMD's Kaveri (when it eventually comes out), I reckon will dominate that form factor unless it uses too much power/runs too hot.

Actually that is a point, would these NUC's be able to decode 1080p being pulled from a NAS (meaning the network chip is working hard too) without any issues of hitting the TDP limit.

Soldato
Cant wait for these. Cant decide whether to go for the i3 or the i5. Going to be used as my main day to day PC (youtube, internet, emails, basic word processing). Will be a nice downsize from my mITX setup, hopefully quieter too. Very interested in the Gigabyte Brix II with Iris Pro gpu to replace my gaming rig but I might hold off for a SteamBox instead (yes I already game in Linux).

Associate
OP
Actually that is a point, would these NUC's be able to decode 1080p being pulled from a NAS (meaning the network chip is working hard too) without any issues of hitting the TDP limit.

I can't see why not we are talking a fairly considerable i5 proc in the package. A much lower spec machine should manage that no?

Associate
I can't see why not we are talking a fairly considerable i5 proc in the package. A much lower spec machine should manage that no?

Yeah, I'm just wondering if the packaging is a bit too small for such a processor.
A MacBook air for example is a good bit bigger than a NUC and it's alu chassis also acts as a giant heat sink aiding cooling.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Should be fine with its gigabit ethernet port, these nucs are using haswell cpus so they are up to date.

Having a quick look at the performance its generally good here:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-NUC-D54250WYK-SFF-System-Review-Haswell-Update

Obviously not on par with the more beefy cpus out there but considering the low power and performance, these nucs can pretty much be left on 24/7 without worry.

Hopefully the noise is quiet like the review suggest, if not may look into modding or getting a passive nuc case and some diying!

Associate
would these NUC's be able to decode 1080p being pulled from a NAS (meaning the network chip is working hard too) without any issues of hitting the TDP limit.

I was wondering about this. I was planning on getting the i3 version (that's the D34010WYK), which presumably has a lower TDP.

This review gives some astoundingly low figures for wattage for the i5 version (24.4W running Prime), if this is accurate then I'm sure there would be no problem.

How would the HD4400 handle decoding 1080p from a media server or NAS? Presumably all the chips in this generation are fine with 1080p playback, frame rates etc?

Associate
Definitely going to get one of these.

Been reading issues with intel 525 msata though, they seem to overheat a lot. The 530 msata doesn't seem to be appearing any time soon either.

What ssd are you guys thinking of getting to go along with this?

Associate
Yeah I'm not sure whether or not it was purely NUC related, and perhaps its fixed in this newer version. I know that they issued thermal pads for the older NUCs to absorb some of the heat from the SSD. I'm just not sure if that was down to the 525 or the NUC's.

Last edited:
Associate
Latest from intel wrt release is November now >.<

From looking at random retailers it's looking like mid-November...Something must have gone wrong to delay it from late September to mid-November lol...

Back
Top Bottom