Royal Mail Customs Charge query

Associate
Hi all

I received a package ive been waiting on today from the states which has got a label on the front outlining the customs/postal charges and at the bottom of the label it says in capitals, this package cannot be delivered until the charges are paid.

Now i haven't paid any charges and the parcel has been delivered to me. Has anyone has this happen before? Do royal mail send you a bill afterwards? I always thought you paid the customs charges before you received a package.

Caporegime
You pay them before you receive a package.

if you have the package already it's not likely you will be chased for the money and vbFU49u.jpg

RM ****** up it should not have been delivered prior to the charges being paid

Yeah normally they'll send you a standard letter saying how much you owe with a phone number to ring. Dial that number, they'll debit your card then the item should arrive next working day. Make sure that you're expecting an item at first though as scammers do send fake custom invoices, you pay up and nothing arrives.

Associate
OP
Translation: Can i get away with not paying this?

Answer: I dont know, im interested though :D

:D

Well if it does work out that its a mistake by RM that would be ace as it means i wont have to cough up the 50 quid charge :cool:

Will just have to wait an see i guess

Soldato
You have to pay the customs charge but not their handling fee, don't let them think you have to, and if they say they won't deliver it until it's paid, quote the act that states that it is against the law to withhold mail pending payment.

They try it on all the time, managed to get my items all the time without their stupid illegal fee.

Associate
OP
Yeah normally they'll send you a standard letter saying how much you owe with a phone number to ring. Dial that number, they'll debit your card then the item should arrive next working day. Make sure that you're expecting an item at first though as scammers do send fake custom invoices, you pay up and nothing arrives.

I was indeed expecting a package. New engine for my rc buggy which worked out substantially cheaper than buying from the uk

Associate
OP
You have to pay the customs charge but not their handling fee, don't let them think you have to, and if they say they won't deliver it until it's paid, quote the act that states that it is against the law to withhold mail pending payment.

They try it on all the time, managed to get my items all the time without their stupid illegal fee.

I understand i would have to pay the customs fee, its just i have received the package , with a customs charge label on the front stating what the charges were, and i haven't had to pay anything before receiving it?

Permabanned
I understand i would have to pay the customs fee, its just i have received the package , with a customs charge label on the front stating what the charges were, and i haven't had to pay anything before receiving it?

yeah thats called a result

Caporegime

I thought they stopped that years ago?
RM pays the fee for you that is what the handling fee is for.

the customs charges have been paid on your behalf so don't worry about customs and just blank royal mail who will likely realise the mistake and never bother you

Soldato
If it has been delivered by Royal Mail or Parcel Force then you have got away with out paying as they always charge prior to delivery not afterwards, (unlike DHL and Fedex who will bill you afterwards).

I've had the same happen before occasionally ... unfortunately I've had a lot more packages where I've had to pay :(

Associate
OP
If it has been delivered by Royal Mail or Parcel Force then you have got away with out paying as they always charge prior to delivery not afterwards, (unlike DHL and Fedex who will bill you afterwards).

I've had the same happen before occasionally ... unfortunately I've had a lot more packages where I've had to pay :(

If it was a courier service you'd get billed after parcel was delivered, since its royal mail nothing will come of it, ya lucky bugger.

Jobs a gud'n :D

Man of Honour

The Postal Services Act 2011 allows them to charge a fee and to withhold any such item pending payment.

Back
Top Bottom