BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
:( The date WAS September, then March and now MAY 31st...... :eek:, I have noticed cabinets installed over six months ago for same exchange but also only last week saw lots of fibre getting laid in the town, so it seems they installed quite a few cabinets some time ago but actual fibre just going in now, in fact on way home from work I saw an openreach guy working at a new cabinet looking very like he was connecting it up. I`m hoping the latest date is not set in stone.

My nearest exchange is getting it in May too, with a hell of a lot of BT vans flying around and a lot of holes. I really hope we get something rather decent for once. :)

We also have a two small street cabinets within 100m of my house, so hopefully the speed is epic compared to the current 110KB/s.

Last edited:
Soldato
My nearest exchange is getting it in May too, with a hell of a lot of BT vans flying around and a lot of holes. I really hope we get something rather decent for once. :)

We also have a two small street cabinets within 100m of my house, so hopefully the speed is epic compared to the current 110KB/s.

Put your details in here and find out a rough estimated speed. :)

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Not sure how accurate it is! My cab I thought was just 100m up the road from me so I expected easily 70-80Mb.. Turns out this checker says I'll get around 43Mb as I'm on my area's Cabinet 47.. And I had a look around my area and Cabinet 47 is right at the top of my street on the main road about 500m away from me.. :(

Associate
@Sparx

Using google maps I am 643m from the cabinet and was estimated to get 44 mb/s but actually get 53 mb/s.

Using mogwai's experience as a guide, you may end up getting much more than BT's estimates, which are pretty conservative anyway. :) You might end up getting 55-58Mb/s at 500M, depending on line quality.

Soldato
Hopefully we are just talking slightly different terminology here...

There is absolutely no doubt that the phone line is encoded on the fibre (the OpenReach modem has two phone jacks on it, for up to two phone lines), and the copper phone line that pre-exists in the house is not part of the equation. When the OpenReach engineer installs the FTTP, he/she asks if you would like your master socket hooked in (which is what you describe). All they are doing is running a phone cable from the OpenReach modem to the master socket (which they replace with one that has two inputs plus the switch you describe).

There is nothing (technically) stopping you from having a separate phone line running on your copper phone line (which you would pay for separately).

All of this to say that my original comment is accurate: the phone line is encoded in the fibre signal. Whether you actually plug the phone directly into the OpenReach modem, or whether your master socket has been hooked up to the OpenReach modem is irrelevant to what I was saying (which was in answer to a specific question).

All of this is based on my actually having this installed in my house (I chose to not have the master socket touched, as I have no use for a land-line).

They don't offer for you to keep you existing copper line, when you sign the contract you agree to move your phone line over to fibre. The modem has nothing at all to do with the fibre phone line. The phone sockets on the back of it aren't used. The phone line comes straight out of the ONT as I said. I have it installed in my house. The modem can be removed and the phone still works, in fact when they were initially installing FTTP you even had a small UPS installed to keep the ONT running in the case of a power outage, something to do with the agreement for power to the phones being run by the phone companies after the war (that agreement ran out this year though so I believe they have stopped supplying the UPS now).

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

They don't offer for you to keep you existing copper line, when you sign the contract you agree to move your phone line over to fibre. The modem has nothing at all to do with the fibre phone line. The phone sockets on the back of it aren't used. The phone line comes straight out of the ONT as I said. I have it installed in my house. The modem can be removed and the phone still works, in fact when they were initially installing FTTP you even had a small UPS installed to keep the ONT running in the case of a power outage, something to do with the agreement for power to the phones being run by the phone companies after the war (that agreement ran out this year though so I believe they have stopped supplying the UPS now).
I think you are calling the Router a modem -- I am *not* talking about the Router! What you call ONT is the modem (as I explained in my previous post). Both the broadband Ethernet and phone lines come out of this box (you call it ONT, I call it modem). As I've already stated repeatedly, the ROUTER has nothing to do with any of this, and has never entered the picture.

Soldato

I have a speed estimate on the checker :), it became available on the day they put the cabinet in. only 80mb :)

I`m about 80 metres max from cabinet according to Google maps.

Soldato
My date was 31 March 2014 as well; a quick email to/from [email protected] informed me that this is just a holding date when there's an issue hooking up a cabinet - my date is now 31 October 2013. If the date is end-of-quarter, it's just a holding date and should really be ignored. :p You could try emailing them with your exchange ID and cabinet number, and asking them what's the projected date for your cabinet.

Cheers, I had suspected that the seemingly random slippage of dates (and being brought forward sometimes too) indicated that accuracy may be not great, certainly hope so.

Permabanned
Ever since FTTC was installed in my local cabinet my ADSL speed has been getting worse. Synced at 4mbit the whole time... today:
1393941_10151881476103864_994039508_n.jpg

Is this because the same ISP can charge me £38 a month instead of £16?

Soldato
Ever since FTTC was installed in my local cabinet my ADSL speed has been getting worse. Synced at 4mbit the whole time... today:
1393941_10151881476103864_994039508_n.jg

mine has been getting progressively worse since the cab is 'accepting orders'. gone from a sync of 8900 odd kbps to 5200 odd.

going to upgrade soon since what they're charging mother dearest atm is 2 quid less than the 38mbps package, when we're on the 8mbps package.

and to make matters worse, my connection now drops approximately every ~15 minutes... this is utterly ****ing ridiculous

Last edited:
Soldato
1393941_10151881476103864_994039508_n.jpg

I noticed this almost immediately the cab was erected, was getting packet loss on three consecutive nights, got on to BT caht support, now syncing slower..........hmmm

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Well I am well excited and can not wait until next year. Bt have been doing an investigation into weather or not my exchange can be upgraded for fibre. In addition to this BT have been at my Cab on and off for a few weeks. Bt have just announced my exchange will be upgraded next year but no date has been specified:) My house is 489 feet from the cabinet and about 3.5 from the exchange. Hopefully they should be able to improve the 2.5mb I get now.

Associate
I have been with Virgin for ages, now on the 20M service for over a year. Was on their congested network until I downgrade to avoid upstream congestion for months and months.

arranged BT to install infinity 2 on the 25th this month. Currently there is no socket or line with BT. The cabinet is only a stone throw away and a telephone is delivered into house via a tall pole oppsite side of the road and over head cable to side of house.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when engineer come and install the line?

Soldato
I should be getting some FTTP action fairly soon, and I was wondering what the best method would be to get this to a computer a couple of rooms away. They've already sent me the Homehub 4.

Thinking either something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-057-TP&groupid=46&catid=1597&subcat=1622

Or powerlines... but I haven't had much experience with them. I'm in an apartment so there's only one fuse/ring for all of the sockets.

I've signed up to the 76Mbit package, but as I'm getting FTTP I can upgrade that to 300Mbit if I want to- so looking for something that'll give me as much performance as possible if I choose to upgrade. I want something reliable as well, obviously(!).

Trying to work out if I can run a cable as I'd obviously prefer this, but until then...

Associate

mine has been getting progressively worse since the cab is 'accepting orders'. gone from a sync of 8900 odd kbps to 5200 odd.

We are seeing this on our work connection, its very annoying.

Since the backlink from the FTTC cabinet to the exchange is a fibre optic line, it won't be interefered with by anything in the exchange. The only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of interference from the DSLAM in the FTTC cabinet affecting the connections in the PCP by travelling along the copper hardline that goes between the two.

Back
Top Bottom