First Car - Honda Civic vs. Ford Focus

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
The Civic isn't a particularly interesting car either, that generation is dull, and a 3k car will break and cost money to repair, and Honda parts are generally expensive.

A focus, is a cheaper car to run and maintain, and is by far the better car to drive.

The Astra isn't a bad car, but its more for people who see buying a car the same as purchasing a washing mashine.

Associate
If it was my money, I'd go for the Civic 1.6 Sport you mentioned. Their great cars (the Civic's) a number of my friends have had various models of Civic over the years and they've never had a bad thing to say about them. They've got a decent amount of space inside, fun to drive and handle pretty well to boot :) You can't really go wrong mate :D

Associate
Nothing to add to this other than the Ghia advert is lying - those wheels are not alloy wheels.
Probably also say the Focus due to the replacement parts being cheaper.

Associate
OP
Wow a lot more replies than I anticipated, thanks everyone :D Seems fairly even at the moment between the Ghia and 1.6 Civic.
I'll try to answer a few questions below.

I was about to say be a human being and buy a ford focus, until I clicked the link and saw it was a MK1 focus, with that id take the civic , hate the mk1 focus

The possibilities list is just me browsing for a few hours at these models and picking out a few that caught my eye. If you'd recommend an mk2 focus over the civic I linked then let me know; these are more just my take on what seems to be top in other 'first car' threads although if there's something out there that others would recommend I'm open to suggestions :)

I'd have the Civic over a mk1 Focus but both are good cars.

What is the insurance like?

Insurance seems to be 800-900 for the models I've been looking at (through reputable companies like admiral). Much lower than I thought it would be! So overall not really an issue as I'd rather get the right car for me for the sake of a few hundred £.

My first car was a Mk1 focus, last March after just passing my test at 24. Began losing oil like no tomorrow. It was a nice car for the couple of weeks I owned it. Got a Clio 182 instead as my 'first car'. But the Focus was my attempt at being sensible and mature.

I say get a Focus.

Hmm that's good to know. Ignoring my possibilities list though it seems like you'd recommend a clio 182 over the focus which I hadn't considered till now. If the focus hadn't had problems, would you still say the clio tops it?

Vauxhall hate is strong on this forum, but... £2,989 Vauxhall Astra 1.6i 16V SXi 5dr

Only 56k on the clock, 1.6l engine and 2006 model has made me interested, I'll do some more research.

Im quite sure it would be absolutely fine as a boggo day to day hatch but for me the steering is majorly over assisted and inconsistent ( thy almost all develop an odd on/off weight issue when it gets a bit older) has no weight or feel to it at all, pedals are far too light and again have no feel plus the interior has aged terribly.

I should probably say I also personally dislike the mk1 focus as I don't think its anything like the standout over others in the class it was made out to be ( at least not at this sort of age) but it is fundamentally a good car and still capable of bringing some enjoyment even with a rubbish engine.

The Honda looks like a little type R, its 1.6 engine is slow but keen to rev and the car just generally has quite an interesting feel to it.

I just think both offer things the astra can't

That's just the type of feedback I need thank you. At first I wasn't at all bothered as long as it got me from a-b and was reliable, and although revving isn't my thing I do want it to be comfortable and capable of overtaking campervans :p

Soldato
Out of the two the Civic easily, but if i was you i would run some quotes and make sure insurance is reasonable.

Also if that was me i would buy a last gen Corolla, really under rated car, they cheap to run, total reliabilty and superb build, economical, comfy, lovely engines and fun to drive and look much better IMO.

Associate
I'd go for either of the civics.
I'd have loved to have had a civic sport for my first car.
Have you looked at insurance prices? That would be a major deciding factor for me if I was a new driver.

Associate
Having owned a Honda I would go for the civic but as an alternative, have you looked into Mazda 3's? they share a lot of components with the MK 2 ford focus, as ford had a large stake in Mazda at the time of its construction. The only problem with the Mazda 3 is the 1.6 model's from 2004-06 do look very boring!

Soldato
The Focus and Civic look as much or even more "boring" than the Mazda if you ask me.

OP although you mention you don't want a car as big as a Mondeo, I would still look into it, maybe test drive one and see how you like it. My first car was/is a Honda Accord, and the size isn't an issue at all, you will get used to it very quick, I live in inner London and have to always park in tight spaces, and it isn't a problem. I found that the Accord is cheaper to insure than crappy little superminis too!

Soldato
Civic 1.6

My dad has the gen before and in the 6+years he's owned it only needed regular servicing as far as I remember except recently replacing two ball joints or something which wasn't a major cost

Soldato
We have a 1.6 Civic, it's a 2001 model rather than a 2003 so not sure if that changes anything, but the gearing makes motorway driving quite a chore. 3500rpm at 70mph and the floor resonates exactly at this frequency making it even noisier.

It is fine otherwise, though. Light steering, economical and incredibly roomy. Passenger space in the back is enormous compared to the Focus.

What Rodenal says is true. Steering on ours feels weird - there is a strange resistance to move away from dead centre on the motorway (even after fully aligned etc.) which makes it even more of a goit to drive on the motorway. It doesn't naturally roll with the road, if you know what I mean, you seem to have to constantly correct it. Interior isn't too bad, mind, but I do find it generally to be a noisy little thing - probably cos the interior is bare.

Last edited:
Associate
Soon I should be picking up my old mans Focus 1.6 Zetec as my new daily wheels.

116k on the clock and going strong, with just consumables being replaced. For the £500 i'll get it for it will be a great bargain.

I would say get the Focus, have always had a soft spot for them and they drive fantastically.

Associate
OP
Any updates on the car search mate? Would a mark 5 golf be an alternative to the three you have on your list?

Update -

I have a test drive booked in for a 1.6 focus as it's not too far from me.

Aaaand call me crazy, although I have a test drive booked in tomorrow for a 2013 Skoda Citigo (awaiting badge comments!).
I was reading up on PCP and really took to the idea of fixed costs, I would hate to be lumped with a surprise £xxx bill in repair costs shortly down the line.

With their current offer, it's:
-£2.4k deposit
-0% APR
-£69 a month for 3 years

Looks a great little car for my needs tbh and insurance is cheapest of the lot (£600) and tax £20.
Obviously it's quite a bit more expensive than going used although the fuel savings should be quite substantial, and the 3 years free servicing and warranty for peace of mind, and it's a brand new car after all.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't tie yourself down to a three year PCP deal on your first car. You'll probably end up regretting it.

The only difference between fixed cost motoring and running a second hand car is that you know you're going to definitely spend money every month regardless as opposed to spending money every few months. New cars break too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom