What benefit does console exclusivity bring developers/publishers?

Soldato
With regards to DR3, it's probably quite a safe bet to take some money for exclusivity, which I fully expect to end up being timed exclusivity. These are new consoles, they're not cutting themselves off from 30million+ potential PS4 sales, why not release on one then wait a year or so when there's more PS4's in homes and then release there too? Could end up being more profitable doing that, and if it is all time exclusivity, you can be sure Microsoft have made it worth their while to never release anywhere else.

Soldato
Of the people I talk to at work about game related stuff (I'd say 20 people) I am the only one who games on PS3, 360 and PC (though PC less and less). All of them except one (who games only on PC) are 360 owners. Have to say though that they are almost exlusively CoD and FIFA players who aren't interested in anything outside of that. That's just me and my workplace though but here at least it puts me well into the minority!

Soldato
OP
Dead Rising 3 looks mental though, 2 did about the same as 1 financially which is pretty bad as it was on the 3 main platforms whereas 1 was only one the 360 & well, the Wii version was just a joke and flopped hard. 3 though looks like it would have a much wider appeal and it's one of the games people are OMG about at the beginning of the gen. It may of been safe to initially sign the deal with MS, but if it's a permanent exclusive then Capcom have shot themselves in the foot as it's generated a hellstorm of hype thanks to E3, and unless it gets a double/triple platform release it's going to make much less than the deal would have been worth.

Caporegime
I think Omaeka a lot of what you say is logical, but its all with hindsight.

EDIT: It doesnt sound that bad of a deal if DR2 did as good as DR1, if Capcom were approached by MS to make a third, or perhaps MS saw promise in what they saw, but Capcom quite rightly might have been pessimistic about sales considering how well DR2 did. Its more than plausible considering where we are today, but it doesnt mean the deal wasnt good, just maybe not as profitable with hindsight (and thats before the bloody game/consoles been released)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Too true, but most people are going with the PS4 and either waiting to see how Microsoft handle the ONE over the first year or so, or never plan on touching one. That's going to hurt any title that's exclusive to it. Microsoft are more than capable of ponying up a large sum of money for exclusives as they are extremely successful but it wouldn't make a ton of sense to spend tens of millions on the deal when it isn't going to boost their console sales enough to make it back. Maybe it's just them flexing their muscles and giving the rest of the industry the middle finger. :p

Caporegime
You could use a similar argument with how youd expect DR2 to do as a multiplat after how well DR1 did as an exclusive and we both know the logic would have been wrong :p. Timing is everything...

I think we are moving off in a tangent thats not worth exploring...

Soldato
OP
Yeah you're right there :p just always wandered if any of the payouts are ever worth cutting your audience in half. Maybe Microsoft paid for the dev kit, licence fee, marketing, development along with an upfront lump sum. That'd be worth missing out on a huge amount of sales.

Anyway yeah, tangent... :p

Soldato
They probably try and keep a few exclusives just because some people will then buy both consoles. So they would make most of it back by console sales and then with more games sales that come with that.

At the serious risk of de-railing the thread (sorry) who would buy an Xbox one if the XB1 and PS4 game releases were identical?

Soldato
OP
They probably try and keep a few exclusives just because some people will then buy both consoles. So they would make most of it back by console sales and then with more games sales that come with that.

At the serious risk of de-railing the thread (sorry) who would buy an Xbox one if the XB1 and PS4 game releases were identical?

Loyal fans I guess. :p

Soldato
It's rather futile trying to argue against exclusivity; the benefits are clearly there otherwise none of these developers/publishers would enter into such contracts in the first place.

Soldato
LOL Davey_Pitch thats sounds like a load of rubbish (sorry that comes over a bit harsh, but it was my reaction :p), love to see your actual justification behind that. Id say people that own both consoles is still a minority, definitely less than 50%, which kinda makes you original point moot...

EDIT: Just saw your caveat, which makes your original point moot, as I doubt developers/publishers only think of the 'proper gaming' market as their target market and not everyone with an applicable console...
EDIT2: So many moots :(

i'd go as low as 20% for both consoles myself . there might be a family that has both consoles for kids , but individuals with both is way low. it will be adults with spare cash and a enthusiast the will own more than 1 console.

I tend to get my consoles a year apart to give me time to judge if the other is needed.

last round was xbox 360 first .... I got the ps3 much later on a phone contract.

this time i'll get a ps4 ... xbox one wil have to drop a lot for me to get

Soldato
The actual percentage of players that own both consoles don't really matter, the point of them only buying one copy of the game still stands, in this current gen where cross platform games tend to be made on the 360 then ported onto the ps3, it's the same game on which ever platform, so there's no reason for the gamer to buy it for both consoles.

This could be different in the next gen where both parties are pimping the cloud, so the same title may get enough differences to make buying both version of game, but sony/Microsoft will need to make it worth while for the devs to invest the extra time it takes. The days of the same title aka Aladin having totally different versions are over.

Back
Top Bottom