Oculus Rift

Associate
You get different lens cups that fit into the headset, I am quite short sighted and can use it without my glasses

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously, if youre waiting for photo realistic, you might want to wait for v.3 or v.4. In the meantime, a lot of these games were not designed with the Oculus or even 6dof in mind. Im thinking development will be a lot like graphic cards, but were currently at the 3dfx voodoo stage. Im sure we'll get to the Titans eventually with the interest this generates.

Last edited:
Associate
Seriously, if youre waiting for photo realistic, you might want to wait for v.3 or v.4. In the meantime, a lot of these games were not designed with the Oculus or even 6dof in mind. Im thinking development will be a lot like graphic cards, but were currently at the 3dfx voodoo stage. Im sure we'll get to the Titans eventually with the interest this generates.

Exactly, if this is picked up by the market as people expect it to I imagine this tech will explode into the next 'thing to have'. Once it goes mainstream and investments pours in, I doubt resolution will be an issue for much longer.

Soldato
Just a simple question... So these things plug in instead of a monitor? Does that mean for some folks you'll have to faff about unplugging your monitor and then putting in the Oculus, and vice versa?

What about the resolution difference on the fly? ie: If you change monitor with different resolution sometimes Windows doesn't like it very much. Or would you only swap over in game?

Soldato
Just a simple question... So these things plug in instead of a monitor? Does that mean for some folks you'll have to faff about unplugging your monitor and then putting in the Oculus, and vice versa?

What about the resolution difference on the fly? ie: If you change monitor with different resolution sometimes Windows doesn't like it very much. Or would you only swap over in game?

You can plug it into your gpus second monitor output. That should avoid the resolution change as well as it'll just be like having two monitors with different resolutions.

Soldato
This has the potential to revolutionise gaming. It might not come during the Rifts lifetime, but tweaked and improved variations of the same idea further down the line could provide some intense experiences. I hope the big devs around the world pick up on it and really push it to see what it can do.

I don't think I'd like to use it for shooting games or other overly precise technical games because it might be a bit too awkward. To me it would be better suited for horror, story-driven, atmospheric games, or even puzzle games.

Soldato
No big news here release-wise, but Elite is due out March 2014, all things going well. Its tenuous, but does that mean we can expect a retail oculus in time.... Hey im stretching but im remaining stubbornly optimistic.

Great news, but no - the consumer Rift won't be ready by then.

At least they can design the UI to work for the Rift though, which'll mean a simple patch when the Rift launches for real.

Soldato
Had won one of these off eBay the other week, but it only went for £310, think the dishonest clown had wanted more so spun some tales and resold it for more. Refund issued today.
Bit gutted as had went eBay approach to save on the >1 month delivery time.

Will be ordering from Oculus site when refund clears next week, but had question for those whose orders had arrived.
How does it work for the import duty being paid? I've been lucky enough in past for previous purchases to not be picked up.
Do you receive a letter stating what needs paid before package would be delivered?

Is it still roughly ~1 month for the delivery time?

Cheers

Soldato
Have a friend who does the coding for one of the games studios, who gave me a load of reasons why this would be crap... stereopsis being the only depth cue, headaches and eyestrain predicted, etc...

But it's still something I'd love to try.
I'm a little short-sighted myself, but fortunately within every parameter for all teh 3D things out there and absolutely LOVE properly done 3D films, so the OR is definitely something that gets my attention.
The comparatively low price of the Dev kit almost had me buying one, but I held off when I realised I don't know anything to make it worthwhile, heh heh!

I'll likely get one when they come out though, especially if the likes of Star Citizen and Elite support it!

Back
Top Bottom