• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Linux 3.12 Brings Big AMD Radeon Improvements - 90% Improvements

Caporegime
None of this makes any sense at all to me, but i assume this is good.

"Over the weekend I released benchmarks showing the Linux 3.12 kernel bringing big AMD Radeon performance improvements. Those benchmarks of a Radeon HD 4000 series GPU showed the Linux 3.12 kernel bringing major performance improvements over Linux 3.11 and prior. Some games improved with just low double-digit gains while other Linux games were nearly 90% faster! Interestingly, the AMD Radeon Linux developers were even surprised by these findings. After carrying out additional tests throughout the weekend, I can confirm these truly incredible performance improvements on other hardware. In this article are results from ten different AMD Radeon graphics cards."

The Linux 3.12 kernel when released in the coming weeks will bring a number of new features and improvements to AMD Radeon graphics cards, including faster performance. For many Linux games tested the Radeon Gallium3D OpenGL frame-rates were making double-digit gains through upgrading the Linux kernel.

Full Article
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_linux312_major&num=1

Last edited:
Soldato
are we talking about linux, the OS, here?

or is it something like the gpu bios?

They are talking about the difference from the 3.11 kernel. They said they use the Ubuntu distro for their testing.

It's weird because it shouldn't have much effect just updating the OS, let alone 90%.

Soldato
They are talking about the difference from the 3.11 kernel. They said they use the Ubuntu distro for their testing.

It's weird because it shouldn't have much effect just updating the OS, let alone 90%.

Its a Kernel update rather then an OS update:

kernel.png

In other words its vastly improved the way hardware and software interact with each other :)

I think the last linux kernel I used was 2.6.2, all those about to get a nice comfy distro in SteamOS with first party video drivers should be forced to experience configuring X.Org before they use it :D

Soldato
so its the linux equivalent of a driver update?

Yes and no, more like an update to the heart of the way linux works. The OS is called what ever the distro choose, ubuntu, Debian, SteamOS etc... the actual kernel is called Linux. All operating systems have a kernel, it just so happens that the Linux kernel is open to everyone to do what they want with, the only thing that stays the same is the heart, or in this case the kernel :)

I suppose in a way we could call it a driver update, as its what drives the OS.

Windows 95 - ME = Windows 9x kernel
Windows NT/2K - 8.1 = Windows NT kernel
Mac/BSD/some others most likely = Unix/Darwin kernel
Ubuntu/Debian/SteamOS/Mint/Linspire etc.. = Linux

Actually, take a look at the pic Orangy posted, it explains it a little better then I ever could.

By the looks of it, I am so glad I never tried Linux. I thought installing a sound card into windows 95 games was bad enough....

It should be a whole world better now, certainly made massive strides in the last 6 years or so, the tablet/smart phone market has been a huge boost to linux development as its forced major players to take it seriously.

I know, Mr Tips. :)

iYW89vC.jpg

Actually pretty much a spot on explanation.

I for one an very very excited for SteamOS, if it wasn't for me getting back into gaming I would still be using some variant of Debian now.

Edit: Also what did they feed that 6870 besides 3.12? Its rocketed ahead of everything!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep that sounds about right :)

So looking at it as a service pack would be a better way of putting it.

My knowledge on kernels and the likes is minimal at best these days, used to spend hours on end testing out different distros and all I can remember is X.Org = the devil.

Soldato
Windows 95 - ME = Windows 9x kernel
Windows NT/2K - 8.1 = Windows NT kernel
Mac/BSD/some others most likely = Unix/Darwin kernel
Ubuntu/Debian/SteamOS/Mint/Linspire etc.. = Linux

oh right, i get it now - so its deeper than just a driver update

EDIT: I wonder if you can do that from within the OS? or does it need to be flashed from some other utility

Last edited:
Soldato
oh right, i get it now - so its deeper than just a driver update

EDIT: I wonder if you can do that from within the OS? or does it need to be flashed from some other utility

It shoild just be a download and update job these days, it used to be recommended to do a clean os install but I believe the whole process is a grest deal smoother now.

****!

This should improve radeon 5xxx and 6xxx as well no? They are of a similar architecture arent they? VLIW4/5

The tests were hd3xxx to hd6xxx, so yes. Have to also remember that these gains were from the new kernel only, drivers still need to be tweaked on top of this :D

It would be like windows 8.1 giving double figure gains over 8.

Back
Top Bottom