Which anti virus software is best and stops ransomware & browser hijackers?

Soldato
Not used a resident AV since 2007 tbh, and no, not had a virus either

i can't remember the last time i ran one. it was definitely pre-vista. i even go to the effort of disabling windows defender on windows 7 that i'm using right now. i do leave UAC on though.

i always get lambasted when i've mentioned this in the past. apparently i'm part of a botnet contributing to everyone else getting viruses. of course i'm completely oblivious to this because i haven't tested to make sure. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Nothing will protect you from user ignorance or naivety.

Keep your O.S and software update, use a modern we browser (Chrome or Firefox), I.E if you have too, but it is still Swiss cheese in comparison.

Install an anti virus / firewall. I use MSE and Comodo free firewall.

It really is that simple.

You will be fine for general browsing etc.. but if you download dodgy software or open dodgy looking attachments, well then you are only exposing your self.

Soldato
I've been using Kaspersky and Malwarebytes together for a few years now. Between them they provide rock solid security. A big improvement over Norton, which is what I used to use.

Associate
I've been using Kaspersky and Malwarebytes together for a few years now. Between them they provide rock solid security. A big improvement over Norton, which is what I used to use.

+1 a good combination works well and I have been using them for the last few years after replacing Norton to.

Soldato
i can't remember the last time i ran one. it was definitely pre-vista. i even go to the effort of disabling windows defender on windows 7 that i'm using right now. i do leave UAC on though.

i always get lambasted when i've mentioned this in the past. apparently i'm part of a botnet contributing to everyone else getting viruses. of course i'm completely oblivious to this because i haven't tested to make sure. :rolleyes:

TBH for 99.9% of the population, I wouldn't recommend not running resident AV. Not bigging myself up or anything, I've just been round the block so many times. If you want to do naughty things, there's virtualisation...

Associate
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18115179

Nothing. AV provides a false sense of security.

Sensible behaviour and regular software patching will help more than any AV. Secunia PSI will help you with this, plus it's FREE.

You should consider putting your browser into click-to-play plug-in mode. http://www.ghacks.net/2012/07/21/configuring-chromes-click-to-play-feature/
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/08/07/how-to-get-click-to-play-working-in-firefox-23-or-newer/

You can use OpenDNS' FREE service to block known malware domains.

http://touchmymalware.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/personal-security-what-can-be-done.html

Some good advice there apart from no AV. :(

Associate
AVG let a TrojanDropperWin32/Rotbrow.11 thru my paid for avg firewall on17.10.2013

Problem with AVG is on Vista 7 they want you to disable user control when download AVG package.So you lose Microsoft security.
This Trojandropperwin32/rotbrow.11 was identified by my Microsoft which I reactivated as I could see AVG had missed it.

It is called iLivid the Trojan, and it lives on your registry.It sends stuff every few minutes from Tesco, Betfair you name it.And the name is Bestabid that keeps popping up every time a new add is produced.So I had to get my hard drive wiped as I had no recovery discs.

Avg have a lot to answer for,
Buy Bullguard Which recommends

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Problem with AVG is on Vista 7 they want you to disable user control when download AVG package.So you lose Microsoft security.
This Trojandropperwin32/rotbrow.11 was identified by my Microsoft which I reactivated as I could see AVG had missed it.

Microsoft Security Essentials/Defender is not the same as User Account Control. You shouldn't have more than one active AV.

Soldato
Firefox + noscript (a bit of an annoyance but stops 99% of that kind of malware dead in its tracks).

Ultimately a lot comes down to common sense though.

I know a lot of people will reccomend Chrome but for security but I find - if I set someone up on FF (without noscript) it will usually be a couple of months or so atleast before I need to clean up their PC, set them up on Chrome and they'll be back within a month needing malware removed, leave em on IE and they'll be back the next day :S

This! no script, malware bytes and common sense !

Back
Top Bottom