Confirmed: Windows Blue Will Be Free, to Be Called 8.1

Soldato
no, the requirements are not the same. windows 8.1 x64 needs your CPU to support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF.
well that's awfully good of MS, adding in extra requirements for a point release.... my AMD cpu doesn't support cmpxchg16b.... which is pretty much pointless from what I can tell (8TB user space...) for the average user.

Nothing like shafting users who actually supported windows 8 by not supporting cpu's that worked perfectly well with win 8 in 8.1 :rolleyes:

Might as well have stuck with windows 7...

Soldato
well that's awfully good of MS, adding in extra requirements for a point release.... my AMD cpu doesn't support cmpxchg16b.... which is pretty much pointless from what I can tell (8TB user space...) for the average user.

Nothing like shafting users who actually supported windows 8 by not supporting cpu's that worked perfectly well with win 8 in 8.1 :rolleyes:

Might as well have stuck with windows 7...

That's Wintel for you.

What AMD processor do you have? As luckily my Core2Duo is still trooping along all these years later.

Soldato
I have a problem i think.

Before i updated i used my i5 gpu for my second screen, so i could watch movies etc while gaming, and so it wouldn't put additional load on my PCIE gpu.

Now Windows 8.1 doesnt seem to recognise having my second monitor plugged into my i5 gpu, but its all good with my main screen which is using my PCIE gpu.

If i plugged my second screen into my PCIE gpu, it works fine, but that's not how i had my system set up before.

Seems silly that they would change this feature, i thought it was the Intel drivers at first, but they have been updated recently for 8.1.

So i have no clue what's going on. :confused:

Soldato
Well I tryed and failed

The system rebooted and got to the point where it was "setting up new devices" BSOD, reboot, and did the same again. It automatically reverted back and now it's failing to even start the process again.

So much time wasted, going to see if one of them leaked ISO will do the job insteasd

Soldato
Can't grab the update myself as I got my W8 key from TechNet which I no longer have access to. Enterprise version can only get from MSDN or TechNet.

Soldato
That's Wintel for you.

What AMD processor do you have? As luckily my Core2Duo is still trooping along all these years later.

opteron 175/x2 4200+ s939... cpu's are fine, plods along nicely with everything I throw at it, even windows 8 :rolleyes:

Luckily I've got the intention of upgrading at some point (to intel) but still... looks like my 'motherboards will die' when the time comes as I'm not paying out for win 8 again now it's basically better to go back to windows 7 lol

sweet all done now, issues resolved.

love having the start button back, makes more sense, it's a very signature part of windows so it's good to see it there, not that i ever felt the need for it before but it's like removing the windows logo from a retail box, doesn't really do anything but it's nice to see.

loads of small changes, like everyone of them. nice to have smaller or larger tiles in particular.

Back
Top Bottom