Custom Offsite back

Associate
Hi,

I have some data that I want to backup about 1-1.5TB of data and this could easily grow to 2-3TB over the next year. I cannot find what I seem to consider a cheap decent offsite provider.

So I have come to the conclusion of creating their own offsite backup...

The Data is stored on a Mac and so I could use a NAS such as the Drobo which supports time machine backups. The Mac's site has a VPN so the NAS would sit at my home with a VPN connection to router at the Mac's site.

Has anyone done anything like this and how could I connect the NAS such as a Drobo to the VPN at the Mac's site?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Dazza

Associate
OP
Both of those suggestions looking interesting. There is something I don't trust about Crashplan it seems to be good to be true and there are people reviewing it saying that sometimes it can be slow... But hey it is cheap!
If they were to discontinue the free P2P backup then that wouldn't be great or imposed limits...

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Both of those suggestions looking interesting. There is something I don't trust about Crashplan it seems to be good to be true and there are people reviewing it saying that sometimes it can be slow... But hey it is cheap!
If they were to discontinue the free P2P backup then that wouldn't be great or imposed limits...
I have been a paid customer of CrashPlan for over 4 years (I just renewed a couple of months ago), and it is just an amazing system. Basically it just works, you never have to think about it, and you can be confident that it is keeping everything backed up. They have several commercial offerings (both for individuals and companies), so I wouldn't worry too much about them withdrawing the free P2P backup (it doesn't really affect them to continue to offer it).

Associate
OP
I have been a paid customer of CrashPlan for over 4 years (I just renewed a couple of months ago), and it is just an amazing system. Basically it just works, you never have to think about it, and you can be confident that it is keeping everything backed up. They have several commercial offerings (both for individuals and companies), so I wouldn't worry too much about them withdrawing the free P2P backup (it doesn't really affect them to continue to offer it).

You may have just swinged it for me to try out crashplan.

Also crashplan may withdraw the P2P syncing as M$ once had a client that could sync but withdrew it when their 7GB skydrive came out.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Also crashplan may withdraw the P2P syncing as M$ once had a client that could sync but withdrew it when their 7GB skydrive came out.

Huh? Crashplan already has a premium offering.

If you're that paranoid, use BitTorrent sync. It will always be free.

Back
Top Bottom