NETGEAR's R7000 "Nighthawk" Most powerful Router

Soldato
Why have the Dark knight when you can have the Nighthawk ;)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

• AC1900 Wi-Fi: 600+1300 Mbps Speed
    First to market: 1GHz Dual Core Processor
    Beam forming+ improves range & performance
    High powered amplifiers & antennas to extend your Wi-Fi range
    Advanced features for lag-free gaming

Free automatic backup software for Windows PC & Time Machine compatible for Macs
    Manage your home network with NETGEAR genie
    Prioritized bandwidth for streaming videos or music

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/R7000.aspx#

image.jpg

Netgear_R7000.jpg

From what I have read about it so far, its Big and very fast, beats pretty much anything from Asus routers including the new Asus AC68U Router also.

Its $199.99 in US

Its been out for sale in USA for past few weeks, no ETAs mentioned on the UK front as usual or UK price.

Soldato
OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsV38qqIB9Q&feature=youtu.be

Still cheaper and faster then Asus latest and best offering

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/AC1900?rank=6

Some guy on the smallnetbuilder forums mentioned how he tested the slanted and angeled design of the router, and confirmed its slanted to allow heat to push out of the unit quicker. So its not just a funky shape for no reason.

Of course however software and optimisation is what counts big time. DD-WRT is supported also, but just basic setup and features for now since its new.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I wouldn't trust a Netgear router to work properly even if you just wanted to use it as a paperweight.

Why? I've had the WNDR3700 v2 since not long after release and it's been solid since day 1. The only reason I will look to upgrade in the near future is .AC support and the extra wireless range.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Why don't they ever make these top-end routers with adsl built in?! :confused:

Yeah this surprised me also, wish these high end routers came with adsl modems built in. Seems bulky having to add a separate router to it and more messy with higher power usage and more wires.

Still guess cable bb users are use to it and the speed difference is so great all is forgiven.

Caporegime
So what's your sob story?

Why? I've had the WNDR3700 v2 since not long after release and it's been solid since day 1. The only reason I will look to upgrade in the near future is .AC support and the extra wireless range.

Tbh hes not far wrong with what he said about netgear routers, i had one for home with my adsl2 connection and it gave me no end of problems ie overheating etc and stupid drop outs every 30 mins or so. Tried updating the firmware but that didnt help matters much.

Strange thing is that the same router im using at the office and so far no problems with it...perhaps it didnt like my BE connection before i jumped to plusnet fibre at home.

Associate

Mainly because they are aimed squarely at the US and Asian markets that have high speed connections more readily available than here, most of those present on RJ45 rather than ADSL.

Still shame it's not available over here yet, would make a cracking AP.

Soldato

I have had the WNDR37AV which is the same router and it's been rock solid since day 1 and has one of the best wireless range of most routers ive tested, granted I set to Canada for extra boost :D

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

There's a relatively high-end ASUS model with built-in ADSL2+ modem.

I have no issue with Netgear routers. The Web UI is clean and easy to navigate. My DG834G was able to sync at 2.2Mb/s on an extremely long line

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Got a DG834G which I have used now for over a year not any issues, don't even remember ever resetting it.

Asus NT-R16 however bricked and died by simply unplugging it !

Still I have had linksys gear drop and be problematic and had another highend netgear which was fine for 3 years before giving some issues.

Seems hit and miss now aday's with any router brands.

I always hear tomato is stable and great but hear DDWRT is more supported and popular overall but more buggy in general....

Hopefully the DDWRT gets more optimised and better, and tomato support is added.

Either way I think the netgears great, its about time someone gave Asus a run for there money and we need some healthy competition in the router market!

Back
Top Bottom