So, a Lexus IS250?

Associate
OP
I have an IS300 but liked the look of the newer IS, so I took an IS250 for a test drive, I was really disappointed from a performance point of view, it felt totally gutless, just about seemed to get going if I really revved it round. My IS300 felt incredible on the way home.

Think I'd rather have the GS300, I know it's a lot bigger but on paper the performance looks better.

I have briefly looked at the GS. I personally think the IS looks better, all variants (other than the hybrid) have a tax brand bracket in the >£400/yr mark & there's only a couple under £6k, and most are £7k+ which is more than I was wanting to spend (especially then having the more expensive road tax)

Soldato
Not all variants are in the higher tax bracket, my GS300 wasn't as it was built just before the new tax brackets.

As Nick has said, I would consider a GS300 too. I had one and they gave me an IS250 loan once. It was almost identical inside with the GS being better overall and better specced with many more treats :) The engine in the GS is much better though, the 250 is smooth enough but pretty gutless. The GS feels much better and fuel consumption was no different.

I wouldn't dismiss them without a test drive to compare.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I didn't realise you could get them in the lower bracket. I assume the emissions are the same, it's just limited to bank K because it was first registered before 1st March 2006? I think I'm going to have to go and try them. Hopefully I can find a dealer with one of each to make it easier!

Soldato
I just had a quick look at insurance for a GS...

I think that's made me decide to stick with an IS :p

Insurance for me in an IS is about £1.3k, in a GS it's £1.7k :(

That's a huge cost and difference in price. I'm only a year older but it only costs £30 more. Interestingly both cost more then my old modified VX220...

Soldato
I just had a quick look at insurance for a GS...

I think that's made me decide to stick with an IS :p

Insurance for me in an IS is about £1.3k, in a GS it's £1.7k :(

WOW.. Its just over £440 for my GS450H :eek:

After having my GS for getting on for a 21 months now the only IS I would go to would be the IS-F and is the car that I am looking into getting next. :)

Associate
Post code will make a huge difference as well. I had my IS when I was 22 with 1 years NCB and a licence for 5 years, it cost me around £800.

Back
Top Bottom