HTPC Build

Associate
Putting together a HTPC. Will just be for media / internet streaming rather than any gaming etc. Planning on running XBMC with windows underneath for drivers and vpn (back to UK for iplayer) etc.

Currently looking at AMD setup given the price. Case will take mATX boards and have found a Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3 for £45 - seems like a good buy.

Cpu I was looking at AMD A6 6400k.

It's been so long since I looked into the Intel / AMD cpu's and not up to speed. any recommendations to change the above?

Associate
I'm looking into exactly the same thing and have read that the A6 will handle 1080 HD no problem. I was told the A6 5400K Black edition should do the job and is only £47.99 on overclockers.

on a side note i was planning on using OpenElec is Windows NEEDED for VPN

Associate
OP
I was also looking at the 5400. The 6400 has a better graphics card. I don't know if this will make any difference for media though?

Looks like you can use vpn on openelec. Will maybe give that a go. Windows will give me more options etc so can revert to that if get any issues.

Soldato
Even the A4 5300 would do dude. The A6K has a better IGP and is unlocked for overclocking but you need the A75 (or higher) chipset for that to be possibubble. That GB mobo is very good for the price BTW.

I've used the A8K a lot as it's a decent all rounder for generic home PCs, I did a mini-itx build for a buddy of mine last month with the A6K and the MSI A75IA-E53 mobo. It's a plucky lil bit of silicon, it handles HD playback and I only paired it with 4GB of 1600Mhz RAM

Associate
OP
Is the extra graphics benefits of the 6400 not going to be a benefit or does it not matter for playback? Will be streamed to 55" + tv.

The board has the A88 chipset so does seem like a good buy for the money.

Back
Top Bottom