Buying Macbook in another country

Soldato
Hey all,

I'm moving to Canada for 12 months soon and I've been planning on upgrading my Macbook Pro to the latest Retina models that were announced yesterday.

So I've been thinking about getting the Macbook while I'm out there as it doesn't look like I'll be able to get it delivered here before I go :(

So I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer - Hopefully someone else on here has done this or something...

1. If, when I return to the UK, I run into any issues with the Macbook - Will I have any problems going into an Apple store in the UK and getting help?

2. Customs - What's the deal with this for when I return?

3. Is there any difference between the UK model and the Canadian model?

4. When I return - If I wanted to sell the Macbook at some point, could I just get a UK power adapter and sell it no problem?

Thanks,

Marky

Soldato
I can't see there being any warranty, afaik it's worldwide. I also doubt customs will give a toss so long as you're not carrying it in an shopping bag still boxed up. The only difference I know would be the power adaptor and the return/enter key being a different shape, really not a big issue.

Associate
1. If, when I return to the UK, I run into any issues with the Macbook - Will I have any problems going into an Apple store in the UK and getting help?
No - it will be treated in the same way. However, a replacement may have the UK keyboard instead of the US layout you'll get in Canada.
2. Customs - What's the deal with this for when I return?
Provided it's not boxed up, no - they have bigger fish to fry :p
3. Is there any difference between the UK model and the Canadian model?
Plug and keyboard layout.
4. When I return - If I wanted to sell the Macbook at some point, could I just get a UK power adapter and sell it no problem?
You just need the UK power plug to fit on the adapter. And specify that it has the US keyboard. But shouldn't be any issue whatsoever.

PS. You're much better buying it in Canada anyway - it's even cheaper than UK Education discount pricing.

Last edited:
Associate
you can determine the keyboard differences here:

UK and US

I moved from the UK to New Zealand, so the Macs are Australian imports and the keyboard is the same as US. Actually prefer the US layout; you can still type £ using ALT+3.

Soldato
Technically if you were stopped in customs for a random search, or because you were clearly carrying a lot of stuff, they would go through everything. As such, if you have packaging materials and a receipt, then you could find yourself paying the tax.

I don't think its that common to get stopped though, especially if you are a British Citizen entering the Nothing to Declare channel.

Soldato
OP
you can determine the keyboard differences here:

UK and US

I moved from the UK to New Zealand, so the Macs are Australian imports and the keyboard is the same as US. Actually prefer the US layout; you can still type £ using ALT+3.

Ah thanks for the images - It doesn't look too bad really...

It made me laugh that almost all the symbols are changed for actual text on the US keyboard layout :p

Technically if you were stopped in customs for a random search, or because you were clearly carrying a lot of stuff, they would go through everything. As such, if you have packaging materials and a receipt, then you could find yourself paying the tax.

I don't think its that common to get stopped though, especially if you are a British Citizen entering the Nothing to Declare channel.

I've never been stopped before, so I guess it's just pot-luck... If I did get searched and they decided it had to be declared, is the worse they could do is slap me with the tax cost? There isn't any chance they'll take my precious away from me or something? :p

Soldato
Ah thanks for the images - It doesn't look too bad really...

It made me laugh that almost all the symbols are changed for actual text on the US keyboard layout :p

I've never been stopped before, so I guess it's just pot-luck... If I did get searched and they decided it had to be declared, is the worse they could do is slap me with the tax cost? There isn't any chance they'll take my precious away from me or something? :p

"I bought it 12 months ago whilst living in Canada, it's my own property that I'm bringing home with me"

Where do they draw the line with this sort of stuff? It seems largely arbitrary.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

There is exactly zero chance you would get stopped, unless you had multiple brand-new still-in-sealed-boxes devices. Just think how many gadgets you travel with: phone, laptop, tablet, camera(s), etc. If they ever started stopping people, then effectively you would have to travel with proof of purchase for everything you took with you on the trip. And that currently isn't the case.

Soldato

From HMRC:

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.
If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free.
If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit.

Buying a MacBook is over £390, so legally you are supposed to declare that. They won't take it away though, as that only applies to banned and restricted goods, along with certain items that have limits imposed on them, such as tobacco and alcohol.

There is exactly zero chance you would get stopped, unless you had multiple brand-new still-in-sealed-boxes devices. Just think how many gadgets you travel with: phone, laptop, tablet, camera(s), etc. If they ever started stopping people, then effectively you would have to travel with proof of purchase for everything you took with you on the trip. And that currently isn't the case.

There isn't zero chance you will get stopped, that is a completely false statement. You could be pulled up at anytime if HMRC Officials decide to do spot checks, or have any reason to believe they want to search you.

I've mentioned it in a similar thread on OCUK before, when I was returning from Florida once as a child, customs randomly stopped us and did a full search through all our suitcases. They also went through every single receipt that my Father had. You also only need to watch one of those Customs shows on TV to see that they do just as I've described.

People don't usually want to throw away receipts and any important packaging for expensive items, so I have seen people suggest before that it might be worthwhile posting them home instead.

Again though, if you are buying one laptop, its highly likely you will get away without declaring it. But to say that there is no chance at all is a fallacy.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

There isn't zero chance you will get stopped, that is a completely false statement. You could be pulled up at anytime if HMRC Officials decide to do spot checks, or have any reason to believe they want to search you.

I've mentioned it in a similar thread on OCUK before, when I was returning from Florida once as a child, customs randomly stopped us and did a full search through all our suitcases. They also went through every single receipt that my Father had. You also only need to watch one of those Customs shows on TV to see that they do just as I've described.

People don't usually want to throw away receipts and any important packaging for expensive items, so I have seen people suggest before that it might be worthwhile posting them home instead.

Again though, if you are buying one laptop, its highly likely you will get away without declaring it. But to say that there is no chance at all is a fallacy.
It's a figure of speech.

The HMRC are welcome to stop me and search my bags. The simple fact is that they have no way of proving that any given item in my bags is due for tax or duty, and until something changes that forces all of us to carry every last purchase receipt everywhere we go, then my above statements are accurate*. The reason I say zero chance, is that at that point it is a very slippery slope. Again, as I said above, if you are carrying brand-new, sealed boxes, then that in my opinion constitutes proof to the HMRC that these items were purchased overseas and they are entitled to have a go.

You are right that it is our responsibility as citizens to report such things. However, given how much I disagree with how the UK government spends my tax money, I could potentially not declare them, as a minor act of civil disobedience. A form of protest, if you will.

* My statements are intended for a reasonable audience. I am not actually guaranteeing that you won't be stopped by the HMRC; all sorts of weird, illogical and unreasonable things happen all the time, and they are not within my control.

Soldato
I've got a Israeli rMBP so the keyboard is in Hebrew. Not as annoying as you would think...and then my virtual machine uses a English style layout but I remember what keys do what, so no biggie.

I've just purchased uk power cords, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom