Corsair h100i, have I killed the rad

Associate
Hi,

I have just finished installed the h100i rad into my Corsair 540 case.

I checked things over and realised the screws are about 2mm too long and have entered into the fins, causing them to cave in a little.

I can only power on tomorrow when my psu arrives. Have I killed the rad, is this normal.

Why have they supplied screws too long causing this to happen, doesn't mention anywhere in the instructions to check clearance. I mean a pre built system should surly have this already accounted for.

Associate
Be very careful. Maybe run it out of the case to start with and see if anything leaks. Don't overtighten the screws. I borked my first rad doing this. All seemed fine, powered up and it ran great. About 30 mins later there was a pool of water. Not good.

Associate
This is normal for the h100i.

Many threads on corsair forums about it, their official stance is that since it does not affect the operation of the rad at all, it does not matter.

Indeed, the screws only hit the fins a little bit, not the actual "veins" where the water is.

Do not worry, mine is probably the same. I just can't see it due to it being.. you know, screw'd on.

Associate
The reason the screws supplied are 'too long' is because cases are not all made out of the same materials or thicknesses thereof. The product obviously has to be a fit for as many cases as possible.

I had an Antec Kuhler at one point and same thing occurred there when I fit it to a Lian-Li case, which had really thin alu panels. A few washers sorted this out.

As has been stated, water goes not through the fins of the rad themselves (these are just for dispersing the heat) but through a set of 'veins' running between the fins. I don't think Corsair would build it in a such a way that the screws would ever come into contact with them.

Rads for full watercooling set ups (in my experience so far) have a small plate between the thread and the fins to protect them, but I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom