• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
Please run firestrike benches and post them in the official thread.

OK will run one now.

Also just reconfirming that the 100% GPU load issue has not come back since uninstalling GPU-Z =D

I'm loving this card, heat & noise I really don't care about - I've got a 2.1 Denon system that I'll just crank up to 11 ;) and no joke I didn't have to put the heating on last night, and the room was cold before I started benchmarking this monster!

The 290X is proving a worthwhile upgrade from my 580 3GB and I am very happy with it so far. Will be more happy once I have flashed Asus bios and decent drivers get released over the next few weeks. Then even more interesting when Mantle update is released for BF4 in December, as after all BF4 is what I bought this card for (even though my 580 coped extremely well at ultra settings)

Associate
Guys from my Polish forums asked me to record cooler at 100% since no one was crazy enough to buy one of those cards :p

This is no word of a lie , i can't hear the video sound over the noise my 290x's are making :(

Its actually louder than my hoover , the people in my house think its hysterical

Associate
These things seems to really need water. I mean 40% yeah is fine but the ramp up to even 55% is a great increase in volume. Any higher i would say you would need to be deaf to run it. Now then better start designing my water loop for it.... Better design it for 2 just in case....

Associate
Sorry if this has already been mentioned i haven't read every post of the 15 pages.

Has anyone removed the cooler and reapplied a decent thermal paste to see if that helps with the temps?

Soldato
These things seems to really need water. I mean 40% yeah is fine but the ramp up to even 55% is a great increase in volume. Any higher i would say you would need to be deaf to run it. Now then better start designing my water loop for it.... Better design it for 2 just in case....

Or just a good air cooler - the other thread with the aftermarket cooler is getting just 50C and silence. The high GPU core temp with the reference cooler doesn't mean anything really.

Permabanned
ATM only thing that REALLY bothers me is artefacts at 1050mhz can it be bios or card i got got more issues than memory clock jumping like crazy.

Anyhow with minimal settings i could do on sliders card idles at 56c.

Soldato
Mine arrived this morning but I had so many errands to run I've only just had a chance to sit down.

QksePkA.jpg

59uNjDP.jpg.png

S2cDtYb.jpg

edit: There is no physical button to change from quiet mode to uber mode is there?

Also I'm running b6 drivers, I've had one BSOD so far on 7 64.

Turned radeon pro off now.. hoping that was the cause. I don't have msi after burner or gpuz installed.

Everything stock it is sitting at 51c 20% fan speed

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wrapping up testing now. Coil whine on my card is fairly bad. And I'm not normally one to moan about it TBH. Sure it will bed in. It's an awesome card for the money and ample for 1440p.

Power mode button is on the front to the left frenzy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
ATM only thing that REALLY bothers me is artefacts at 1050mhz can it be bios or card i got got more issues than memory clock jumping like crazy.

Anyhow with minimal settings i could do on sliders card idles at 56c.

Are you on an Asus card or Asus BIOS - I'm using Asus card (not flicked BIOS switch).

I only get artefacts with the memory over 6000-6100 or so - core speed seems to crash back to desktop or locks-up if its too high. Fan on 40% max is audible but nothing major and only slightly more than my H100i

My current 3dmark/3dmark11 scores are :-

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1485479
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7376957

at 1075/6100 on 4770k @ 4.4

Back
Top Bottom