Roughly how much will a body shop charge to spray these trim pieces?

Caporegime
Hi guys, does anyone know roughly (just a ball park figure as im totally clueless) a body shop would charge to spray the bumper strips, side strips, lower bumpers/valances, mirror shells and 2x door handles on a VW Polo 9N?

Spray colour would be VW LA7W Reflex Silver.

I'll just do it myself if it will be too much.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you strip them off and do the rubbing back yourself then you could probably get it done for 100-150. I wouldn't want silver being painted without them having the car though, its a horrible colour to get right

Associate
If you strip them off and do the rubbing back yourself then you could probably get it done for 100-150. I wouldn't want silver being painted without them having the car though, its a horrible colour to get right

Agree with this, like also mentioned Silver is tricky to match. I would do the above for best results. Unless your spray painting level is high then you could try yourself and if it is not right then get a a garage to do it.

Caporegime
OP

And cheers for pointing out that silver isn't easy to match, I just made an incorrect assumption :p

Bits of the bodywork have been repaired and resprayed or replaced with other silver parts over the years and while you can tell the difference between the colour and texture of the paint if you really look for it, I never really notice it.

The parts I mentioned are currently textured black plastic.

I have been advised to degrease them, sand the texture away, use high build primer then a few coats of silver and then lacquer.

I wouldn't be able to go any further than just using the 'same colour' when it comes to 'colour matching' though :/

Last edited:
Associate
It depends how fussy you are overall on the finish, but with what you have said:

Bits of the bodywork have been repaired and resprayed or replaced with other silver parts over the years and while you can tell the difference between the colour and texture of the paint if you really look for it, I never really notice it.

That being the case I would give it a go myself.

Iirc some people also do a wet sand with very fine wet and dry between colour coats. or is it between colour coat and laquer...... I've forgotten (a while since I have done this!) someone will be along soon to advise!

Associate
As rough guide I'd look to: Sand the part using 120 grit (depending on the 'texture' you may be able to start with 240, or you may have to go for 80), then using a flat block work through the grits to about 400 and fill any flat spots that might've developed. Clean the panel and spray one/two coats of high build primer and you may have to sand with 400 grit and reprime any defects. Then flat the panel with 800 grit. Again every time you apply paint wipe the panel down and make sure your in the least dusty environment possible. Then apply colour coats, if it's metallic you must go to clear, if it's solid you can sand any imperfections using 1200 grit and recoat again and again and sand to get it perfectly flat. Then apply lacquer, several coats then wet sand 1200 grit, 1500 grit and 2500 grit before moving through the polishing compounds like G3 or use the 3M setup.

Thing is (especially so when your an amateur) most of the work in painting is the prep and not the actual painting, because if your really talented you can skip a lot of the final sanding stages if you get a great finish out of the gun and the you'll do very little (if any) sanding of coats because you'll manage to lay the paint on without orange peel or runs etc. Having said that even if your in less than optimal conditions with and have minimal tools you can get pro results but the trade off is lot's of time invested!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom