Worth getting a shredder?

Soldato
theres a video of a cow going into one of those.

I think they are used to destroy diseased cows , pretty sure in the video I saw a few years ago that the cow was still alive

I saw a video of a local abattoir that was shut down that had one of these. Literlary walking them up a ramp into the thing. I am all for eating meat but that was beyond cruel.

does shredding hamsters not get a little messy?

A little, but its a lot quicker than mincing by hand.

Soldato
We've currently got a 9mmx2mm cross-cut shredder - does 12 sheets of paper at a go and fills the 33L basket in ~15 minutes. Generally fill 4-6 black bin bags a week (lots of paperwork delivered to home due to work)
I should say that we've worn three others out over the last 17 years.
Started on a straight-cut 5mm width as that was what was generally available. Not recommended for securely shredding
Next was a cross-cut with a 20mmx5mm size shred. Bits still too big
Next was a cross-cut with a 14mmx4mm size shred. Good enough, but not if you are paranoid!

Basically, get one with a good motor, decent duty cycle (> 15 min) and as fine a shred size as you can afford. It's amazing what gets shredded once you start!

Soldato

I think they are used to destroy diseased cows , pretty sure in the video I saw a few years ago that the cow was still alive

I saw a video of a local abattoir that was shut down that had one of these. Literlary walking them up a ramp into the thing. I am all for eating meat but that was beyond cruel.

This is what gets done to male chicks in the egg industry.

Soldato

Pretty sure they're dead in the video I saw. The machine was a Haarslev PB30/60, which apparently is the same machine that the IRA used to dispose of Captain Robert Nairac's body.

Associate
At the moment I just rip it up or burn it, but I will get one soon. Whether it's worth it or not depends on how paranoid you are though :D

Caporegime

Yea you must be pure evil to do something like that or even ignore the fact that it's happening and do nothing.

even if the cow is diseased it's still animal cruelty surely? unless it is dead already hopefully by humane methods that make it quick

Soldato
I don't understand how shredding a diseased cow into a million pieces is a good way of disposing it?

Surely having bits of it's flesh flung around creates an unnecessarily large surface area for flies and stuff spread the disease. Surely leaving the skin intact and just burying it in one piece is better?

But yeah probably a good thing I'm not in the mad cow disposal business.

Caporegime
eww tried googling to find out why they shred diseased cows but didn't want to click most the links.

then saw a forum discussing it and someone mentioned another machine called the "chick pulp" I guess thats where chicken nuggets come from because in a video the guy sticks what looks like a thermometer in the pulp at the end

Soldato
Pretty sure they're dead in the video I saw. The machine was a Haarslev PB30/60, which apparently is the same machine that the IRA used to dispose of Captain Robert Nairac's body.

Nope. The one i started to watch made a bit of a noise when a forklift was loading it in then a horrendous sort of scream as it was dropped in. I turned it off then. Not nice

As already said, surely a diseased animal is just going to spread disease if its minced up in a grinder!

On paper shreddind - i think i may get one

Associate
Yes best get one cos if u want rid of old bank statement or card expire then safe is shredder cos if high risk of thief if u throw in the bin as people can pick up too easily.. i have my own shredder included for plastic card and cd disc.. it danger if u dont shredder any of ur own bank statement, catalog form with yer name and info, receipt,etc.. it best to use shredder

Soldato
Yes best get one cos if u want rid of old bank statement or card expire then safe is shredder cos if high risk of thief if u throw in the bin as people can pick up too easily.. i have my own shredder included for plastic card and cd disc.. it danger if u dont shredder any of ur own bank statement, catalog form with yer name and info, receipt,etc.. it best to use shredder

They're also good for running forum posts through too.

Back
Top Bottom