2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
By the time you customise the base 15inch with extra ram and SSD with apple care it's about 90 pounds short of the model with the 750M you can get straight from store, so I caved in after numerous walks around town thinking about it one morning and thought I'll only regret it later so I think it was worth it.

I ran a 4K video, about 12 programs open at once and iplayer on both models in store.

The staff were quite happy to help out doing so.

I felt the 16GB of ram helped a lot as the more expensive one was completely smooth and not compressing any memory.

The only difference was an average of 9-14 minutes less battery power in every combination we tried.

Surprisingly the 15inch although bigger really didn't feel that much heavier in my backpack compared to my 13inch MBA which was a nice surprise. You can tell it's heavier, but not enough to upset anyone

grr now you got me thinking if i should get 15inch instead!

Associate
grr now you got me thinking if i should get 15inch instead!

I have spent all evening trying to decide 13 or 15, in the end I decided on 13 as the extra portability will make all the difference to me. I have the iMac for heavy lifting but this will be going everywhere with me. Now I am still sat here wondering if I should have gone 15!

Soldato
Remember EDU gets 75% of applecare and with the cash your putting down for this machine and the fact it's pretty much un repairable its worth it.

You get that on EDU without paying extra for AppleCare. The only difference in the HE Warranty and AppleCare uplift is the telephone support.

Caporegime
Starting to notice this lag more and more, especially after using my Air for quite a bit yesterday, it's much smoother, that's on Mountain Lion mind.

Need to know if this is likely OS related, as if it's going to be like this all the time i'll probably send it back :(

Permabanned
OP
Starting to notice this lag more and more, especially after using my Air for quite a bit yesterday, it's much smoother, that's on Mountain Lion mind.

Need to know if this is likely OS related, as if it's going to be like this all the time i'll probably send it back :(

Which model?

Mine is still not despatched, thats the one thing buying from Apple online, the wait!!

Caporegime
Which model?

Mine is still not despatched, thats the one thing buying from Apple online, the wait!!

13" 8GB Ram, 256SSD. I've just arranged a return & refund, to be honest it's unacceptable.

I'll wait and see if they iron the issues out and repurchase if they do, having the option to use my Air to test the difference is beneficial because you can feel the difference in choppiness, the Air is SO much smoother.

Caporegime
not good news

Such a shame, the screen really is a thing of beauty but I can't handle something that's not as smooth as it should be. I'd hazard a guess to say it's software related, but I can't really take that risk on something that cost me £1200, especially when I still have the option to return and see how it all plays out.

Soldato
You don't understand my logic? Your logic makes no sense.

You're comparing a MacBook Air to a Macbook Pro Retina which use different hardware and asking why one doesn't appear to have an issue and another one does which somehow suggests new rMBP have a hardware problem.

Software can be fine on one system and have bugs on another. Do you really not understand that?

Windows is completely irrelevant but it does receive different updates for and from various hardware/software vendors. Intel chips, GFX Cards and various other parts via Windows Update.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom