iPad buying advice.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Hi Guys

total apple newcomer here, looking to buy an iPad for mrs rjk at Christmas.

I have done a fair bit of googling but cannot seem to find any decisive info,

essentially, i am wondering if a new model is due any time between now and christmas. don't really want to go and spend £400+ and it not be the latest model. not looking to buy any time yet but wanted a definitive answer really.

thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Soldato
Yep, new full size and mini due soon. Most likely announced next month but will definitely be before Christmas so hold fire for now.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
ok brilliant. i assume apple will do what they have historically done and put the new model in at the pricing of the current gen unit?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
that suits me down to the ground then.

thanks for the info guys.

last question, any sites you guys would suggest for keeping an eye on things like this?

not an apple guys so a bit clueless when it comes to all this.

Soldato
A Media Event is rumoured for 15th October, which I would say is fairly concrete...

New iPads will be announced and released within the week.

Soldato
Yeah I think it'll be event on 15th, pre-orders from Fri 18th with delivery on Fri 25th.

Prices are generally like-for-like with old models but the 5 and 5S prices did creep up a little so the iPad may too. There's also speculation whether they may drop the 16GB model which could see the prices for the higher capacities drop a little. All conjecture atm though.

Soldato
There's enough parts leaked to mean it can't be long till the actual thing is released - right now the main questions are more along the lines of stuff like "will the Mini 2 be Retina?" (seems unlikely if the rumour mill is to be believed), and whether the fingerprint scanner will make an appearance on both models (more likely). The next gen-iPad takes design cues from the Mini so thankfully it'll be thinner, lighter and with less of a bezel.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
sorry to bump the thread again.

am I correct in thinking the iPad Air is the new flagship product for the foreseeable future?

Associate
I'm not sure how long the foreseeable future is as far as Apple are concerned! I'm certainly looking forward to the new Air as my iPad3 is getting on a bit.

I'd not bet against an iPad Air2 in March with the fingerprint stuff like the new phone has. It seemed like quite an omission that it wasn't on the Air.

Soldato
sorry to bump the thread again.

am I correct in thinking the iPad Air is the new flagship product for the foreseeable future?

If they did another model, yeah it would include the fingerprint stuff and might have A7x CPU. So it would be a small upgrade to the Air which is due out this week.

I be picking an Air myself has my Ipad 3 battery isn't as good as it used to be.

Soldato
I'm waiting to see Three UK's prices and plans for the iPad Air and Retina Mini. As far as I can see the Retina will have a better pixel per inch so text might look better. Decisions, decisions.

Soldato
To be honest I doubt you'll see a huge difference between the two in day to day usage (and possibly not even when they're side by side). We don't yet know if there are any hidden differences (RAM, speeds etc), however it is unlikely/differences will be negligible.

This year it comes down to whether you want a bigger or smaller display. Even though the resolutions are the same, there is still a good case to have a bigger device.

Soldato
If they did another model, yeah it would include the fingerprint stuff and might have A7x CPU. So it would be a small upgrade to the Air which is due out this week.

I be picking an Air myself has my Ipad 3 battery isn't as good as it used to be.

It's looking very much like the Air does actually have an A7X but just badged as an A7.

As for replacements, I can't see Apple releasing a replacement in under a year tbh. They did it with the iPad4 simply because it was what the iPad3 should have been to start with, the latter only being released "prematurely" because of market forces/reasons, when the hardware wasn't quite up to the job. That's not the case with the Air.

Back
Top Bottom