2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Associate
Anybody else suffering uneven colour distribution on their new 15" rMBP screen? On my device the left hand side part of the screen is yellower than the right. Thought it was just my eyes but have noticed this now quite a lot, especially on white backgrounds.

Caporegime
I tried the older 13" retina, new 13" retina and 15" retina today in store.

The lag now is clearly down to the hardware, the old 13" retina still lags a lot even on Mavericks, the new 13" retina lag is a lot less, sites like the the verge are super smooth now which is great. However there was some lag during animation, for example, in about my mac when you switch between the hard drive tab and the display tab it lags. The 15" retina had no such tab that I could notice. The model I tried had the iris pro 5200.

It seems the 5100 is really good but just not enough still. I will wait a bit and also try my 13" but I have a feeling I will return if it's not good enough.

Main areas I noticed lag was, as you say in 'About my mac', launchpad (animations when loading say Terminal), general swiping between screens, minimising and maximising apps from the dock.

Just in general, the whole OS felt laggy to me compared to the 12' Air. Much nicer experience, sure the screen isn't anywhere near as impressive but to me smoothness > screen.

Associate
Spent a good amount of time yesterday playing with my new 13" base model (2.4/4GB/128GB). This is my first Mac and I'm thoroughly impressed by it so far.

I was a little worried 4GB wouldn't be enough but even with Photoshop open, about 6 tabs in Chrome and playing music it handles very well.

Eventually I'll try Bootcamp with Windows 7 but for now I'm happy with OSX and it's a great learning experience.

For some reason I have the idea in the back of my mind that an Air maybe would've been better for me, but I have 14 days to decide whether or not I want to stick with the Pro.

Man of Honour
Anybody else suffering uneven colour distribution on their new 15" rMBP screen? On my device the left hand side part of the screen is yellower than the right. Thought it was just my eyes but have noticed this now quite a lot, especially on white backgrounds.

Haven't noticed anything on mine.

Once you get use to the retina, you wont go backl!

It's actually depressing using anything else now :/

Soldato
yea it is. i just want apple to announce that they will fix the 13inch issues and i will press the buy button

They will fix the freezing, but I doubt they can do much about the stuttering. Have a feeling it's down to the iris not being able to keep up with the retina screen. You can hold out some hope for a better driver I guess but still.

Soldato
They will fix the freezing, but I doubt they can do much about the stuttering. Have a feeling it's down to the iris not being able to keep up with the retina screen. You can hold out some hope for a better driver I guess but still.

grr their really is no perfect device :(

i dont want the 15inch as it is too large to be portable :(

why couldnt apple slap on a 750m nvidia gpu on it?

Soldato
I'll never understand UPS's crazy courier routing.

Last iPhone went China -> Hong Kong -> Alaska -> Cologne -> London

My 15" rMBP has so far gone China -> Seoul -> Kazakhstan. :confused:

Soldato
grr their really is no perfect device :(

i dont want the 15inch as it is too large to be portable :(

why couldnt apple slap on a 750m nvidia gpu on it?

I really don't know, perhaps it was a space issue. Maybe they can't get another GPU on the board with sufficient cooling.

The thing is, the iris and iris pro are identical apart from the extra DRAM on the pro. I'm wondering if the sheer resolution of the retina display requires this extra memory. It's not unheard of, but since the graphics take its memory from system RAM, you'd think it would be ok.

The fact that the previous 13" suffered from this, and apple never resolved it doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Associate
I'm surprised at the amount of people who say the 15inch isn't portable, I carry it every working day and have no issue with it. Yes it's heavier then a MBA that I used to carry but no where near the 'back breaking' claims that many seem to make.

If you are after real portability in those type of scenarios then why the heck don't people get a tablet.

Same as people who want to game on the buss or train,,really?!

Associate
Wow, that's a really nice setup you have!
Are those all iMacs or are they the cinema displays?
I guess from your first post the new standard iris graphics is fine then for lightroom and Photoshop?
Really considering a macbook pro now, probably sam spec as your 13".
Just wasn't sure if i needed the better graphics of the 15"

Nice ship photos too - you work on them?

Hi ajf, answer to your question one imac, two thunderbolt displays and one with a mac mini. Thank for your comment about the photos my hobby is photographing cruise ships.

Back to the 13" or 15", if only one computer/laptop I would have the 15inch. But with a imac or a mac mini at home, the portability of the 13inch works out great. I've been happy at the speed of my haswell retina when creating lightroom previews at 1:1 using raw files from my Canon 5DMKIII, which previously with my air mac was a slow hog. So far so good. :)

Soldato
well I have just received some good news so I may be buying the top spec mac book pro after all.

Just had an email from the director at EDF Energy saying I don't have to pay any bills between 1st June and 11th November. My account is £600 in credit which is going back to my bank account. WHOOP!

Back
Top Bottom