Gifts for newborn ?

Soldato
I'm going down south at the weekend to see my brother and his Girlfriend as they've had a child together last week and I was wondering if it was customary to arrive bearing gifts?
I was thinking bunch of flowers for the Mum maybe some beer for my Bro :D should hopefully do the trick but not sure if there was a particular thing you are supposed to do on these occasions.

Oh and if my Bro reads this, a weight bench and weights is not an acceptable gift :p

Man of Honour
I took a small gift, a knited dinosaur ( a red triceratops). That was all though.
Think ill get him an engraved pewter mug for christmas, something he can keep and use when he's 18. It'll be engraved but not with name, something family orientated, but slightly funny, will have to think about that.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is considered good luck to put a silver coin (50P etc) into the foot of the crib/basket when looking for the first time.

Otherwise, I'm sure practical gifts would be much appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Ahh, should have said..... Second child

So he will be on a lot of hand me downs already..

Don't remember going to see the first one when she was born :o

Soldato
Please don't get them a soft toy, they are the most pointless things ever.

For baby - A 3-6 month outfit so they can grow into it, or nappies and wipes. They always come in handy.

For mum - She just pushed a baby out her foof, so a posh bottle of bubble bath or bath bomb to enjoy when she can finally have a bath uninterrupted.

For dad - A manly pat on the back.

Caporegime
Ask if the parents are starting a savings account for their offspring, if they are contribute to that. If they aren't, dunno - maybe get some premium bonds in the child's name or something.

Back
Top Bottom