Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn

Soldato
So, I have played so many MMO's in my time, is this worth the punt? I am also a Final Fantasy fan, would that help?

Also, final question, this is £15 at Game, can it be had any cheaper over the next few days?

Associate
So, I have played so many MMO's in my time, is this worth the punt? I am also a Final Fantasy fan, would that help?

Also, final question, this is £15 at Game, can it be had any cheaper over the next few days?

It's a solid MMO that uses a lot of lore/classes etc from different FF games in the past and just feels the part, from the way battles start to the epic music. For instance the 24-man dungeon being added with the next content patch is the Crystal Tower from FF3, adapting old bosses and mechanics for an MMO setting. I'd say anyone that likes FF and MMOs should try this.

Soldato
Alright, I'll give it a shot, I can get it for under £10 from Game as I have a pre-order that needs cancelling and some reward points...

I LOVED Vivi in IX, is the Black Mage worthy of a punt? Is he the main damage dealer and does he get spells like Meteor and Firaga and super mega awesome flashy effects?

I also loved the Dragoon and the Magi-Tek Armour from VI, is the latter ingame?

What server do I join to annoy you guys :p ?

PS> BIG FF fan here...anything from FFVII in the game at all?

Soldato
I LOVED Vivi in IX, is the Black Mage worthy of a punt? Is he the main damage dealer and does he get spells like Meteor and Firaga and super mega awesome flashy effects?

I also loved the Dragoon and the Magi-Tek Armour from VI, is the latter ingame?

What server do I join to annoy you guys :p ?

PS> BIG FF fan here...anything from FFVII in the game at all?

I wouldn't say the main damage dealer (afaik that trophy goes to the Summoner, but that was during beta so it could have changed by now), but they are capable of some tasty damage, yeah :p Meteor is castable when you have a Limit Break in a group, it's awesome, but be prepared to fight others for the chance to use it!

The Dragoon armour from FFIV is received from some very easy quests at 45 and 50 (obviously only when playing as a Dragoon), and Magi-Tek mounts can be had as well, but I'm not entirely sure where you get that from yet.

There are references aplenty to most FF games in it, but you'll definitely see some enemies/summons make appearances from VII, as well as characters (not naming any names, but it should be obvious), materia, etc. Even some of the Limit Breaks of the Dragoon are the same as Cloud's ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Belated thanks to Jasseh Ocuk for getting me into White Wind on Odin (Una Viko) - been sus'd for the past fortnight so couldn't say it earlier! :)

Aha, didn't realise you made it onto our server in the end :D nice! Have you received an invite to the OcUK Linkshell yet? I can hop on and send an invite your way at some point if you haven't.

Soldato
Thanks guys, I got the game today, came up on the till for £19.99 but as my mate is manager, he price matched via trade-in (he gave me £5 for a disc copy of KOTOR which I was giving him anyway) and then I had £8 something on Reward points and £5 in pre-order monies...cost me under £2...

Installing now, will probably not be able to play properly until tomorrow, anything I should know first, other than create my dudes on Odin?

Soldato
Had a play tonight, now level 8 Thaumancer or something...

I will say, game is very slow to get going, but, it's Final Fantasy, who plays it for action and adventure? You play a FF title to get immersed in the fantastic world, the lore, the best stories ever written into game...you play it because it's Final Fantasy...

Soldato
That'd be great mate, probably won't be on until closer to the weekend mind. :)

That's most likely when I'll be on too, will keep an eye out for you :D

Installing now, will probably not be able to play properly until tomorrow, anything I should know first, other than create my dudes on Odin?

Nothing else springs to mind, I mean, you already made a wise choice ;) as above, should be online over the weekend so I'll send you an invite to the OcUK Linkshell (basically a chatroom that we can all be part of despite what Free Companies/Guilds we belong to) if you're on when I am. What's your character's name?

I will say, game is very slow to get going, but, it's Final Fantasy, who plays it for action and adventure? You play a FF title to get immersed in the fantastic world, the lore, the best stories ever written into game...you play it because it's Final Fantasy...

This. It's been a very long time since I felt so immersed in an MMO, I just love everything about the game world and can very happily just spend time running around exploring and enjoying the atmosphere. Age of Conan was the last MMO where I could easily just get lost in immersion - it just goes to show just how much a game's environment and atmosphere can make up for its shortcomings.

Last edited:
Associate
My Mage guys name is - Gabrial Strife

My Dragoon guy's name is - Hrodulf Beake

Not sure if you're aware of it but you can play all classes on one character (think it was level 10 or 15 on your first before you can change). I know some people prefer to have different characters anyway though for aesthetics.

Soldato
Not sure if you're aware of it but you can play all classes on one character (think it was level 10 or 15 on your first before you can change). I know some people prefer to have different characters anyway though for aesthetics.

My mage guy is a short little sod, would look stupid as a Dragoon :p

Also, I was not aware, so, does that mean I can be an awesome Black Mage and then just decide to swap to Dragoon and play and swap back? It sounds like the job system from, say, Final Fantasy 5...

Associate
My mage guy is a short little sod, would look stupid as a Dragoon :p

Also, I was not aware, so, does that mean I can be an awesome Black Mage and then just decide to swap to Dragoon and play and swap back? It sounds like the job system from, say, Final Fantasy 5...

Yeah, the class you are is determined by the weapon you have equipped once you've done the quest to unlock a class, which are found in each classes base of operations.

Soldato
Yeah, the class you are is determined by the weapon you have equipped once you've done the quest to unlock a class, which are found in each classes base of operations.

I see...but, I stand by the statement I made a minute ago...a short-ass Vivi looking duded would look so silly as a Dragoon...Or would he? Come to think about it...

Soldato
This game is pretty awesome. I actually feel like a cousin of Vivi's or something running around a land similar to FF12...

I haven't noticed anyone 'famous' yet although I have ridden a Chocobo Porter thing and instantly recognized the backing sounds from the Chocobo race in FF7 (I think that's what I heard, modernized though).

Anyway, is there a guild I can join and speak on Teamspeak or something with you guys?

Back
Top Bottom