Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Beugh!! Had one of my least enjoyable rides ever today.

Got drenched in the space of 20mins at about the 1hr 50m (moving time) mark. It was all down hill from there...

Seemed to dry up a little once we got to Macclesfield, the sun came out. So we decided we would continue to do the Cat and Fiddle anyway. About 10 minutes from the top the heavens opened again, wind, hail. It was horrendous.

Okay, so the fastest route home was opted for. The wind didn't relent. Soaked gloves and biting wind turned my hands into what felt like balloons. I couldn't change gear. No strength in my fingers. I had to use my whole hand to move the gear triggers. Eughhh.

Got back into my home town and the roads were dry. Such a joke.

http://app.strava.com/activities/92962191

Makes me want to spend £100s on clothing.

Soldato
What do we reckon to the new Planet X winter bundle? Still worth a go? My current winter gloves are cheap aldi ones from last year that have shrunk a bit, my bbb overshoes are coming apart, I don't have a hat for under my helmet and I usually just wear two pairs of socks when it's really cold... I'd be tempted if the gloves are any good.

I wore the gloves for the first time today in dry but cold and windy weather. They were comfortable, good grip, fairly flexible and with my gore undergloves my hands were nice and warm. Not tried them on their own or in the wet, but so far they seem pretty decent.

Soldato
Get latex tubes and you can pump them up every day ;)

Haha.

Well, after a quick clean yesterday, quick test on the road today and the gears are just about ok. Rear are fine, front's clunky (will need to tighten it a bit) but usable. If the weather's nice tomorrow morning I think I'll go on a nice long ride to test out my first outing on a road bike! :)

Soldato
Beugh!! Had one of my least enjoyable rides ever today.

Got drenched in the space of 20mins at about the 1hr 50m (moving time) mark. It was all down hill from there...

Seemed to dry up a little once we got to Macclesfield, the sun came out. So we decided we would continue to do the Cat and Fiddle anyway. About 10 minutes from the top the heavens opened again, wind, hail. It was horrendous.

Okay, so the fastest route home was opted for. The wind didn't relent. Soaked gloves and biting wind turned my hands into what felt like balloons. I couldn't change gear. No strength in my fingers. I had to use my whole hand to move the gear triggers. Eughhh.

Got back into my home town and the roads were dry. Such a joke.

http://app.strava.com/activities/92962191

Makes me want to spend £100s on clothing.

I have endured some gruesome conditions up on top of the Cat, it's so exposed up there that the weather can turn really quickly. I remember one day where it was sunny and relatively warm in Macc but there was sideways snow and hail up there.

Soldato
I like the elevation graph on that :D

The descent was great - sadly my mate, who normally descends like a demon - was struggling with his braking on the hire bike he was using, so I had to keep slowing down for him.

Only worry now is the seat on the hire bike isn't exactly comfortable. My right glute is in some pain today. Going for a short, flatter ride tomorrow and then back up Teide for a longer one Tuesday.

Associate
Wet ride this morning. The weather report said it would best in the morning and bad in the afternoon. Totally the opposite ! Pretty wet and cold.

Thinking about a cx bike. My winter triban 3 is fine, but brakes are pants even with swissstops.

Cx bike will allow me to race in a league and also winter riding with discs.

Thinking about

Boardman cx team 2013
Caadx tiagra disc 2014
Planet X xls.

What you got and views welcomed :)

Soldato
Wet ride this morning. The weather report said it would best in the morning and bad in the afternoon. Totally the opposite ! Pretty wet and cold.

Thinking about a cx bike. My winter triban 3 is fine, but brakes are pants even with swissstops.

Thinking about

Boardman cx team 2013
Caadx tiagra disc 2014
Planet X xls.

XLS has the best kit :) but boardman is 200 cheaper.. right now with the 10% discount.. :o

Soldato
Soldato
Just got this email about tomorrows club night:

Following tea, coffee and chat, the agenda will be as follows and start at 8.30pm:

1. Kicking the tyres! – Danny Cox – 20 mins
Danny will lead a discussion on tyres in order to understand why we use the tyres we do.

Good timing after yesterdays tyre discussion :p

Soldato
What meter are you using Touch? 200w and 140bpm isn't to be sniffed at!
How does the trainer compare to on the road power wise?
Its a powertap hub.

Trubo trainer feels harder because of the heat (and sweat) that builds up. Its much easier to ride at a specific HR/power zone though. Hills make it very difficult, i need to crawl up them at walking pace to keep HR low enough and spin like crazy on the way back down to keep HR up.

fraseredwards said:
Thinking about
Boardman cx team 2013
Caadx tiagra disc 2014
Planet X xls.

I have the PlanetX XLS. Did my first CX race on it today, and its a nice bike. Comfortable over the rough stuff and quite stable through the corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom