Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sorry, but... You shouldn't have been hanging on his shoulder like that. You may even have been in something of a blind spot, depending on how his mirrors were set up.

Was just about to say this. You're inviting trouble half wheeling the back of a car. Hang a safe distance back if you can't pass quickly and safely.

Man of Honour
That IS annoying! I probably would've just mounted the pavement and overtaken.

That reminds me. Some complete idiot went into me today. Only going slow because I couldn't quite go past them; my front wheel was by his rear wheel. And then they decided to turn in left into a car park without indicating and knocking me (didn't fall off thankfully). Didn't even stop to see if I was alright :mad: The car behind pulled over to see if I was ok though.

That was my first run-in ('scuse the pun) bike vs. car but even at such a slow speed it's still quite an impact (bike's undamaged fortunately; only just got it!). Made me realise how vulnerable we actually are on bikes with absolutely no protection. It's quite scary to think how much you could get injured going just 10mph, let alone 15/20/30mph.

Yes, it was extremely irritating :/ I actually shouted at the guy as I went past (which is a rare thing for me - shouting at cars, yeah, but not cyclists). The guy caught up to me as I dismounted to get some shopping and asked me why I called him what I did. It was a fun moment...

As others have said, you probably should have hung back a little but I'd say that this is an extremely easy thing for you to overlook. I think it's ridiculous that cars don't bother indicating - whether or not they can see someone they should indicate, even if the law doesn't really require them to. I always indicate as a cyclist even if I don't think anyone is behind me. It takes a second and it lets other people on the road know what I'm doing.

Man of Honour
due to the aforementioned dragon ride im doing this year ( in aid of the Tuberous Sclerosis Association http://www.justgiving.com/Tsa-drago...m_content=Tsa-dragon14&utm_campaign=pfp-share) yes that is me in the livestromng shirt looking a tad larger than i do now :)

I am currently trying to develop a decent diet and training plan, now although i have done a few other rides my training normally is basically what i can be bothered to do on any given day, no structure, no HRM no power training, my diet consists of calorie counting eating foods high in both protein and carbs, aiming to eat less than I burn off for weeks leading up to then carb loading for 2-3 days before a big sportive.

I have read lance armstrongs trianing guide ( I Know) and tried to implement a few bits of it on my training especially hill sprints, hill repeats etc which helped a bit, I also look at supplements to take but other than glucosamine / multi vits and Cod liver oil I wouldnt know what to look at in terms of whey protein, fat burners (if worth it) and any other supplements good for cyclists.

If anyone has any hints and tips in regard to training, nutrition, supplements etc i would much appreciate it :)

thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, but... You shouldn't have been hanging on his shoulder like that. You may even have been in something of a blind spot, depending on how his mirrors were set up.

Was just about to say this.

As others have said, you probably should have hung back a little but I'd say that this is an extremely easy thing for you to overlook.

Yeah I know that, probably should have said it differently/in more detail to clarify, as I'd never ride that close to stationary/slow moving traffic if I couldn't pass. I wasn't hanging around his rear wheel; I passed by the car immediately behind them, and went to pass their car but they moved slightly in a bit so I slowed, can't have been there for more than 2/3 seconds before he turned in.

Caporegime
due to the aforementioned dragon ride im doing this year ( in aid of the Tuberous Sclerosis Association http://www.justgiving.com/Tsa-drago...m_content=Tsa-dragon14&utm_campaign=pfp-share) yes that is me in the livestromng shirt looking a tad larger than i do now :)

I am currently trying to develop a decent diet and training plan, now although i have done a few other rides my training normally is basically what i can be bothered to do on any given day, no structure, no HRM no power training, my diet consists of calorie counting eating foods high in both protein and carbs, aiming to eat less than I burn off for weeks leading up to then carb loading for 2-3 days before a big sportive.

I have read lance armstrongs trianing guide ( I Know) and tried to implement a few bits of it on my training especially hill sprints, hill repeats etc which helped a bit, I also look at supplements to take but other than glucosamine / multi vits and Cod liver oil I wouldnt know what to look at in terms of whey protein, fat burners (if worth it) and any other supplements good for cyclists.

If anyone has any hints and tips in regard to training, nutrition, supplements etc i would much appreciate it :)

thanks

Lance's training guide... Supplements... Must... Resist...

Soldato
Trainer Road

Done the FTP test today, so what next?

looked through the workout list and the names are odd, I haven't a clue what each one does
I wish I could filter by type

like "climbing" or "endurance" or "sprinting"
etc

I want to do some ones dedicated to climbing, but no clue where to start

What do you think guys?

I would highly recommend following Intermediate Base I and then Base II after. I builds your endurance and II introduces VO2 max work that will improve your sprints and short burst power.

Associate
Somehow lost my Arundel Uno on last weeks ride, cant find it anywhere so it must have fallen off. My multitool and levers gone with with it. :(

Ended up ordering the small BBB tool bottle thingy from wiggle that fits in a bottle cage, hopefully shouldnt lose that :p

And after recently having a few punctures on my GP4000s tires and one with a gash in the sidewall, its onto Gatorskins for the winter

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
The massively compromised riding position and huge knobbly tyres kill your speed on a MTB.

I'd expect a road bike to be 30-50% quicker for the same power output.

Then you'd be wrong. Much of it is how a bike feels. In your head, the light weight and skinny tyres and position make a road bike feel much faster, but when you look at the physics it's just not the case.

Dont get me wrong though, a road bike is still much better for any sort of distance, because even small differences in efficiency and comfort actually make a big difference to how you feel on a bike, and therefore how far you can ride.

Here's an example, roughly simulating the OP's speed and power:

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

MTB 26lbs with 1.75" offroad tyres on a 1 percent slope and 5mph headwind @ 150W = 11.1mph

Road bike (hands on the tops) with skinny tyres 20.9lbs in same conditions @150W = 12mph

Same road bike on the drops = 13.4mph

Obviously there are more variables, and the more trained you become then the bigger the difference as the aerodynamics start to play a bigger part, but at the OP's current speed and power, 1 - 2mph seems about right.

Caporegime
Trainer Road

Done the FTP test today, so what next?

looked through the workout list and the names are odd, I haven't a clue what each one does
I wish I could filter by type

like "climbing" or "endurance" or "sprinting"
etc

I want to do some ones dedicated to climbing, but no clue where to start

What do you think guys?
I'd be interested to read a review of the software, I've long been tempted by Trainer Road. Which trainer are you using it with, and do you have a power meter or are you using their pre-defined lists?

My plan is to cycle up to work a couple of times at the weekend to get the route in my head, then commute a few times a week until I'm back up to speed. Strava challenges will get a whole lot easier once I'm commuting 100 miles a week :D
Welcome to the club, cycle safe (esp in London).

Lance's training guide... Supplements... Must... Resist...
:).

In other news, a friend has just bought an Endless Pool. He's about 5km away, so pretty damn handy for some triathlon training!

Soldato
9 reasons you shouldn't bike to work

2. What if it rains?

Thanks to umbrellas, sprinting from your car to your office, and sometimes holding a newspaper above your head, you haven’t gotten wet outside of your shower since 2007. Next thing, someone’s going to tell you that you have to carry a rain jacket in your bike commuting bag — maybe pants too. What the hell is this, a backpacking trip? You’re just trying to get to work on time.

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
I seem to recall you saying that you've tried BB7s in the past; how much better do you think the TRPs are? Is it a significant upgrade?

You're insatiable ;)

It's night and day. The TRPs are everything the BB7s are not.

This assessment is based on one 20 minute ride in the dry so I may change my mind.

The whole point if this bike is so that I can rationalise. My favourite bike at the moment is my steel SS but it's summer only. If I can get a winter SSCX that I like then I'm selling the Scott and the Burls.

Soldato
Then you'd be wrong. Much of it is how a bike feels. In your head, the light weight and skinny tyres and position make a road bike feel much faster, but when you look at the physics it's just not the case.

Dont get me wrong though, a road bike is still much better for any sort of distance, because even small differences in efficiency and comfort actually make a big difference to how you feel on a bike, and therefore how far you can ride.

Here's an example, roughly simulating the OP's speed and power:

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

MTB 26lbs with 1.75" offroad tyres on a 1 percent slope and 5mph headwind @ 150W = 11.1mph

Road bike (hands on the tops) with skinny tyres 20.9lbs in same conditions @150W = 12mph

Same road bike on the drops = 13.4mph

Obviously there are more variables, and the more trained you become then the bigger the difference as the aerodynamics start to play a bigger part, but at the OP's current speed and power, 1 - 2mph seems about right.

Position matters more than aerodynamics though. The more upright nature of an MTB means it's harder to deliver that 150w.

Man of Honour
[DOD]Asprilla;25260745 said:
It's night and day. The TRPs are everything the BB7s are not.

This assessment is based on one 20 minute ride in the dry so I may change my mind.

The whole point if this bike is so that I can rationalise. My favourite bike at the moment is my steel SS but it's summer only. If I can get a winter SSCX that I like then I'm selling the Scott and the Burls.

Which TRPs are they? I presume not the hy/rd ones? Hylex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom