Burger pattys..

Associate
I've tried multiple times using multiple methods/recipes for making burgers and always left disappointed and i'm 99.9% sure this is down to supermarket mince

Unfortunately theres just no butchers around here that I can visit conveniently outside of working hours.

The actual premade supermarket burgers normally turn out nicer than using supermarket mince...

Does anyone have any suggestions? specific mince/supermarket/method?

Man of Honour
Get mince with lots of fat in it - don't bother with lean mince.

Don't go crazy adding tons of stuff to it. You can pretty much add nothing and then salt it at the end and get good results.

Experiment with salting the mince before forming the patties and only adding salt to the patties after formed. Some people strongly prefer one or the other method.

Make sure you put a dimple in the middle of both sides of the patty so when it expands during cooking you end up with a nice disc.

edit: if you need to add egg to bind you're doing it wrong

Last edited:
Soldato
I've made burger patties with supermarket mince before. Though I've only cooked them on BBQs.

I use steak mince. Just mix it with egg white, seasoning and dust them with flour. Refrigerate them before cooking.

I can't see why they wouldn't be as good made indoors. I've never bothered as I don't eat burgers at home other than when the barbie's on.

Soldato
Couldn't they have thought of a better word than "patty" to describe a raw burger? We are men, cooking meat, we should not have to call things "patties".

Caporegime
Use 80-20 mince beef (20% fat), lightly season with salt and pepper. The trick to coherence is to slap the balls of meat into your hand at high speed and then squish together as hard as you can. If you do this step right your palm should sting from the slap.. Otherwise use a burger press. Basically you need to get rid of the minces beef strands and have the meat fibres compress into a coherent mass, using the fat to bind the burgers. Rest in the fridge for an hour if you have time

No egg needed at all, and is a sign you are doing it right or you dont have enough fat in your mince

You need at least 20% fat to give a good moist tasty burger. BBQ the burger (love my gas BBQ for this kind of thing), most of the fat will drip out anyway and what is left is nice and healthy

Soldato
MMM Made some lovely steak mince burgers in the past (bbq though)

Never used an egg just used some nandos chilli sauce to bond it. along with herbs, onions, chilli etc.

They were epic.

Soldato
Soldato
Use 80-20 mince beef (20% fat), lightly season with salt and pepper. The trick to coherence is to slap the balls of meat into your hand at high speed and then squish together as hard as you can. If you do this step right your palm should sting from the slap.. Otherwise use a burger press. Basically you need to get rid of the minces beef strands and have the meat fibres compress into a coherent mass, using the fat to bind the burgers. Rest in the fridge for an hour if you have time

No egg needed at all, and is a sign you are doing it right or you dont have enough fat in your mince

You need at least 20% fat to give a good moist tasty burger. BBQ the burger (love my gas BBQ for this kind of thing), most of the fat will drip out anyway and what is left is nice and healthy

Fat content IS healthy. :confused:

Associate
the best ive found,

500g mince, not to fatty
1 slice of bread grated
salt and pepper
1 fresh chillie finely chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 egg yolk

form into 4 burgers on a tray nad leave covered in the fridge for 5 mins or so before cooking

tried all sorts of recipes, this is by far the best and easy to make, the family love em! :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've tried multiple times using multiple methods/recipes for making burgers and always left disappointed and i'm 99.9% sure this is down to supermarket mince
I think you're right. Supermarket mince does seem to have a lot of sinew minced into it and it appears to be minced to the bare minimum they can get away with and it makes a tough burger. They don't actually specify what cut is used even when they describe it as 'lean steak mince' but I'd suspect it's something like a mix of belly (brisket) and other 'stewing steak' cuts that they otherwise don't sell enough of. Even if you were to mince you're own out of cheap cuts, I suspect you'd do a better job yourself and it would taste better.

Does anyone have any suggestions? specific mince/supermarket/method?
I actually go against what is said about about using high fat content mince. I usually use supermarket 'lean steak mince' because it's got a softer texture when cooked than the cheaper ones with the higher fat content. I add quite a lot of salt and squeeze it all together with a small sprinkle of dried white breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs soak up a lot of juice and stop it coming out the burger when you cook it. Cook it hot and fast to get a bit of char on the outside and don't overcook it or it'll dry out.

D.P.'s suggestion about pressing the patty: I saw an awesome method on DDD - place the patty between two sheets of greaseproof paper and give it a good hard smash with the bottom of a heavy saucepan. It works brilliantly :D

You reminded me I need to buy a meat mincer.

Back
Top Bottom