• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780Ti official review thread

Soldato
The Tech Report Review
Based on the totality of our results, I'd say the GeForce GTX 780 Ti has returned the single-GPU performance crown to the green team's trophy case in a controversial split decision. Perhaps more importantly, the GTX 780 Ti achieves these performance levels while running at much lower temperatures and noise levels than the R9 290X.

Soldato
I like the idea of a 780Ti, but theres a niggling feeling i get when i look at the price then look at the AMD offerings and their prices and how close they are in performance. Sure they are hot and loud but the performance is so close for so much less money.

Then i think Ok there will be the non-ref versions soon of both cards, prices will change slightly on each, still think AMD is the better offering once the non ref versions land with better cooling and higher clocks, sure the NVidia offerings will again be faster, but theres no denying the price difference is substantial enough to make anyone with common sense think twice.

And then theres the rumored mythological world ender that is Mantle coming, who knows if its going to make the cards better or not in certain games, but you can garauntee one thing, if it does happen to increase GCN cards in certain games, if you happen to have a non ref 290/290x at this point, your probably going to be laughing, as you have the new fastest single card at a much cheaper price than its rivals, albeit for those games only :)

Caporegime
OP
You can't argue with 8packs results. Although the 290 is already faster than the 780, once it gets off that reference cooler it will pull further clear.

fltv.jpg

You can :D (and then leg it) but I do ask why the 780 was clocked at 1123Mhz? All the 780's I have seen will happily sit at 1200Mhz and over all day long in games.

Not cherry picking, this is the 780TI official review thread and no one had posted this one.

Spot on and I will add to the OP cheers :)

Associate
I'm surprised the 780/ti/titan advocates cant see that AMD have deliberately used a thermal ploy to nerf the 290's so nvidia show their hand.

Really do they honestly believe a card running 95oC isnt going to clock by circa 30-40% when correctly cooled.

When Asus or MSI release the non ref 290/x its gonna be totally amazing and most likely still cost 300 quid for a 290 and 440 for an X derivative. Both should attain non overclocked 780ti fps. Im not sure they will match the overclocked performance of 780ti which is 19% better fps, unless of course mantle is a miracle.

Caporegime
Agreed but even you can see the very conservative clocks of the 780?

I doubt it will make much difference tbh.

8pack said this about that

"The 780ghz given its phenomenal boost clocks out of the box (1123/6000) had no overclocking headroom to speak of sadly. |I tested two different manufacturers cards with the same results. For a plug and play card showed a good set of benches. I could not prove at least for the 780 ghz SKU that Nvidias claims of B1 stepping cards offering more overclocking to be true. They are just optimized to be fast out of the box."

Then said...

290X stock cooler yes.

The one we used could only manage a 6000MHz memory overclock, which meant the R290 Pro which had a 6400MHz memory overclock was giving more or less same performance as R290X.

The R290 Pro is the real bargain king.

We shall update the results at somepoint in the future with a decent clocking R290X.

So with a better clocking 290X its possible that 780TI might get de-throned.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If I bought a 780 and it hit 1123Mhz max, it would be returned. DSR FTW and you would do the same Matt :D

Ohhh and just looked at those benchs you supplied and man do they look dodgy :D

410c7ad1110cab75a414d0354193d0d5.jpg

They look worse than [H] :D

No AA anywhere and pretty pointless. How long did it take you to find these skewed results? ;)

Associate
So with a better clocking 290X its possible that 780TI might get de-throned.

Its possible but likely only when compared to a standard non overclocked 780ti. I've just read a review where a 780ti can overclock by a huge margin..(mem nearly hits 8000Mhz qdr)

"Maximum overclock of our sample is 1120 MHz GPU (base) clock (28% overclocking) and 1975 MHz memory (13% overclock).

GPU overclocking potential is VERY impressive. It's been a while since I've seen a GPU do almost 30% OC on launch day. Memory overclocks well, too, thanks to the fast memory chips, and reaches typical levels for 7 Gbps GDDR5"
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780_Ti/30.html

Caporegime
That 280X is probably the Sapphire toxic, if so it looks about right. The toxic trades blows on occasion with a stoick 780. Those results are without any AA so id suggest they're probably right. I expect if you look at the results with AA it will look more akin to what we normally see.

Caporegime
Its possible but likely only when compared to a standard non overclocked 780ti. I've just read a review where a 780ti can overclock by a huge margin..(mem nearly hits 8000Mhz qdr)

"Maximum overclock of our sample is 1120 MHz GPU (base) clock (28% overclocking) and 1975 MHz memory (13% overclock).

GPU overclocking potential is VERY impressive. It's been a while since I've seen a GPU do almost 30% OC on launch day. Memory overclocks well, too, thanks to the fast memory chips, and reaches typical levels for 7 Gbps GDDR5"
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780_Ti/30.html

Aye its good but all that overclocking, 41% worth only translates to 18% more performance. I'd hazard a guess that a overclocked 290X will gain more performance from overclocking. That's how it worked with Tahiti anyway. The overclocking boost scaled 25%+ in performance on my 7970 card and i could only go up to 1250/1823 in games so far from golden territory.

Soldato
A week later, the 290 is launched and what a launch, it is so good, it makes the 290X look rubbish in comparison. So we have the 290 that is the 7950 bargain of last gen butttttttttttt the 7950 was ~£200 and the 290 is £300, so now it doesn't look so tempting and especially with the rap of the cooler/noise.

I dunno Greg.
Those £200 7950's haven't been at that price for that long really, and that was only a select few models for a while. Most were still in the £250 range until very recently.

Sure, it was 6 months ago or so, but I got my reference 7970 for £310 (well over a year after launch) which is around the price of a ref 290 at launch. That makes the 290 look like a bargain to me.

It is a complicated one and I'm probably missing the point. Anyway... :D

Fwiw right now, if I wasn't on water, I'd rather take a 780 with a nice quiet cooler for £400 odd over a ref 290 for £320 odd.
Being on water though, 290+block = price of 780 so I'd take a 290.

/ramblings...

Soldato
Fwiw right now, if I wasn't on water, I'd rather take a 780 with a nice quiet cooler for £400 odd over a ref 290 for £320 odd.
Being on water though, 290+block = price of 780 so I'd take a 290.

/ramblings...

Hit the nail on the head there Pete :)

If water cooling the 290/290X is choice to make

Unless you want Nvidia specifics

Back
Top Bottom