• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has my 7950 died? :( HIS IceQ Turbo

Associate
Hi all,

I've got an HIS IceQ 7950 Boost (about 6 months old), turned my computer on today and nothing came on screen. Turned off and back on and it booted up... Great, no problem, so I thought.

So I installed Battlefield 4, fired it up, got about a minute into the intro video and off goes my monitor (no input), turns computer off and on, again no input...

Left for about 5 mins, turned on again, display comes on and then about 1 minute into windows... Off it goes again!

Now nothing and I've given up...

What do you think?

And if it is the card, can I send it back to Overclockers or what?

Cheers.

Associate
OP
Cables are all definitely connected.

Idle card is 28-30, no idea at load as it dies and goes off...

But it did go off at idle in windows anyway.

I've never touched the voltage on it so whatever stock is.

Soldato
The problem you describe fits a malfunctioning PSU much better than the GPU. Usually if the PC shuts down like that its because the psu is overheating or is broken. If it turns out its not the PSU i would consider checking up on the CPU thermals. If that is fine it might be the GPU but normally when a gpu dies it stays dead meaning you wont get a picture again or it would artifact like crazy(indicating a near departure to GPU heaven)

Get a second PSU if you can around 500watts if you can.
Test your GPU in another system if you can.
Test the thermals of the CPU.
Report back.

Associate
OP
It came back on so I turned the GPU settings to default and fired battlefield up, loaded and it went into the game passing the intro...

Can't be bothered looking at it tonight now so turned it off.

Will try again probably Monday now.

I haven't got any other parts to swap it out with and no one else I know has a decent PC, just consoles...

Dunno what to do to work out whats wrong now.

Soldato
Just thought too, when the screen originally went off when playing the battlefield intro, the speakers were still going as though the game was playing, just bugger all on the screen.

Alright that narrows it down. How many watts are your PSU and what brand? and do you have any other games you could test at high settings to see if you can dupe the effect?

Associate
OP
It's a Corsair GS600w PSU

The PC isnt even used that much to be honest, usually takes me about 3 months to complete a game!

I took the side off the case and noticed the fan stopped spinning on the psu (as it does under low load) once the screen went off.

Soldato
If it's ok at stock surely it's just an unstable overclock. I was getting a problem in BF4 where the screen would just go blank and i would have to alt tab out of the game and it turned out to be my OC. Added a bit more voltage and all was well despite passing Heaven for about an hour with lesser voltage.

Soldato
If it's ok at stock surely it's just an unstable overclock. I was getting a problem in BF4 where the screen would just go blank and i would have to alt tab out of the game and it turned out to be my OC. Added a bit more voltage and all was well despite passing Heaven for about an hour with lesser voltage.

He said that it has always been at stock, so that shouldn't be the case. I would want to test the psu as well. Where are you based? Might be a friendly member nearby?

Soldato
He said that it has always been at stock, so that shouldn't be the case. I would want to test the psu as well. Where are you based? Might be a friendly member nearby?

True, though it is a boost card. Perhaps all he needs to do is up the power limit to +20% in catalyst control center.. its been seen before.

Associate
OP
I live in Sunderland.

I've never adjusted the voltage on the card but have moved the slider for the power upto +20.

This morning I reset my BIOS to default and the GPU settings to default, game loaded and stayed on for about 5 mins (all the time I had).

Will try it again tonight and start overclocking it again from scratch if all goes well...
So still no further forward apart from at least it's staying on

Soldato

I read it as voltage was stock. He doesn't mention overclock does he? He also mentions it being fine when clocks reset, implying an overclock had been applied and was the cause of the issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah the card was overclocked, but I've not adjusted the voltage, just used the Control Centre thing, bumped the clock and memory up and moved the power slider to +20.

Has been faultless on anything Ive thrown at it and nothing had been changed apart from trying BF4 and it starting to give that black screen and then not boot after.

Back
Top Bottom