Stop using CNET for windows software

Soldato
Probably old news now, but CNET appears to be now forcing you to use their "Secure Download" option to download software form their site. Just installing CPU-Z I had three adware programs installed on my machine :( Got rid now thankfully.

Never had a problem until now. Shame I used to use it all the time.

Associate
"Direct download link" is directly below the download button.

If you click that one instead, you'll avoid the CNET BS.

edit: wow not anymore, thats horrible :( will be joining you in avoiding them.

Soldato
if the original software maker wants to bundle crap in their own software, that's fine with me so long as it's prompts you on install and doesn't do anything by stealth. as they're providing their software for free, they deserve to earn some money.

but these hosting providers can ****ing do one. i never used cnet but it's a shame to see sourceforge taking this route.

Associate
On installation of 99% of software even from CNET now you get these added downloads like Google etc. but you can either remove the tick from installing the added software or to decline it at install. you will still install the software package you want it just means you have to decline everything else. The law says they have to give you a choice or they cannot offer you it in the installation. Even CNET knows this. Even this weeks question crosses the same threshold on preventing your browser being hijacked.

Soldato
On a related note has anybody else had the recent Flash Player download experience? Even if you opt for the Flash Player only option the installer fetches Google Toolbar and Chrome in the background regardless and starts installing. You opt out by cancelling the installation while it's happening. I left Google some stinking feedback on their automatic feedback page every time I had to uninstall the stuff I didn't ask for. I'm glad I wasn't on a metered connection.

I don't know whether something was "broken" and whether it has been fixed or changed since but I was not impressed. You cant seem to get anything these days without scrutinizing it for junk add ons.

Associate
All free downloads come with some type of add ons now because that actually pays their bills more than the software itself. Remember free advertising on Google and a prime position in the advertising market on a search engine gets you and them more custom. So in other words its like the Ass shaking the Donkey's tail.

Back
Top Bottom