Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hey, look on the bright side, in the top 10% on the winter hill climb on my first attempt....

Tesco pharmacies shut now though isn't it, ruddy Sunday trading, need some more large non stick bandages.

A pharmacy will normally have a list of which other shops open late night / weekends on the door.

+1 for visiting a walk in centre though - they can make you scream properly by scrubbing out the gravel :(

InQ

InQ

Associate
Swapped the Conti GP Force/Attack (summer tyres!) for some Vittoria Open Pave 25c for winter, best bike so wont be used in the wet though.

If i'm being honest the 25c in the Vittoria seems smaller than the 24c Conti i took off!

Associate
So I was having a nice ride, even saw who I think was Minty.

Then I fell off... going about 50-60kph downhill and it hurt quite a lot....

Rode up Winter Hill to Belmont and back again, coming back down cornering with the bike leaned over, hit a patch of ice and away it went. Hadn't expected anything like that as its been 8-10c today and it was damp to wet in places but nothing too bad, certainly didn't expect any ice.

Written off my Endura bibs, Rapha base layer, both have massive holes in, cut my Assos gloves and foot warmers.

Scuffed up all the shifters, cut through the bar tape and worn down the bars.

My leg, knee, hip, arm, shoulder and fingers are all bloody as hell and hurt like a mofo in the shower.

A couple of cars stopped and let me sit down in the warm for a few minutes, then the mountain rescue land rover randomly drove past, so they stuck my bike on the roof, bandaged me up and brought me home! Couldn't ride as the bars/shifters were all twisted and my knee/leg was gushing.

Ouch! Hope you're ok! And the bike too.

Must be the day for it, as i crashed this afternoon as well. Just as well I only paid £30 for that new jacket as it's got a bloody great hole in the elbow now! :(

My own stupid fault - should have stuck to main roads. Ventured up a back road to do a climb and hit some ice on the descent. Bike went down hard and i went sliding off down the hill. Elbow, knee and ass have some lovely road rash and i expect will be fairly bruised in the morning. Yet to really check the bike properly - it's not shifting great but it got me home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/94330318

Up until then i'd been having a pretty perfect winter ride.

Oh well. Stay safe kids.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ouch Berger - that sounds painful. Nice of the mountain rescue to bring you back down.

I've been meaning to pare my bikes down a bit because I've got too many. The dead Raleigh I had hanging on the shed wall got a lick of red paint, a heavy dose of iron filings in the surface and some rusty steel wheels I had taking up space. This is now wall art in the garden and, at the request of the other half, will be garden art with the herb pots growing on it next year. With a bit of luck it should 'age' quite quickly over winter with the iron filings and look the part for next summer.

Associate
UniQ ... wanted to ask about R5s in general as thinking of getting a 'summer' bike in addition to my CAAD8 commuter. Going to attempt to find a stockist and try one but may be able to get a 2012 frame for 1.6-1.7k. Its a 51 and I'm a short ar$e, only 5ft 6 and ride a 51 CAAD8 (got it on the cycle to work and feel its a bit big as no real seat - bar drop). What size are you and your R5 - any other frames comparable to the geometry?

Oh - and whats wrong with yours if you're thinking of selling it? My shortlist of 'summer' bikes was Cervelo/Bianchi/Colnago really so always have other options :)

PS - went a bit overboard on the hills today, should have stopped before Ide as had to stop halfway
http://www.strava.com/activities/94301741

Caporegime
I'm just 87 miles off my target of 3000 for the year. I should be able to knock that out over the next fortnight. It's been quite good as targets go - achievable, but challenging enough to motivate me to get out there.

I'll have to start thinking if my goals for next year pretty soon...

Soldato
Is that you done for the length of your stay? Is the bike fixable? Will you be fixed any time soon?

I'm here for two weeks, think I'm pretty busy till Wednesday or Thursday now with wedding commitments, it'll be Thursday or Friday at a guess until I've healed up a bit.

Bike seems ok just superficial damage, shifters, bar tape etc.

Soldato
Wouldnt have been me mate as i was remote control car racing today.

Hope your ok Berger.

Did you fall off on the road that is quite rough with potholes coming down from winter hill?

It was the Belmont / Rivington road, coming from the Belmont direction not far after reaching the top. Went past a turn around point then down and right, was a little rough but not too bad, could see where cars had bottomed out, just a shaded spot that mustn't get any light.

Soldato
Horrific weather for yesterday's ride but I had planned to do it all week so made myself do it http://app.strava.com/activities/94078374

Managed to outrun the rain for the first 2 hrs, then it followed me the rest of the way. The ferry at Gravesend didn't turn up on time either so I had to sit around for over an hour for the next one shivering my nuts off! Had to get picked up the other side as I had frozen solid!

Still a distance PB though. Looking forward to doing the full distance on a nicer day, and avoiding the A25 due to a wrong turn :/

Soldato
So I was having a nice ride, even saw who I think was Minty.

Then I fell off... going about 50-60kph downhill and it hurt quite a lot....

Rode up Winter Hill to Belmont and back again, coming back down cornering with the bike leaned over, hit a patch of ice and away it went. Hadn't expected anything like that as its been 8-10c today and it was damp to wet in places but nothing too bad, certainly didn't expect any ice.

Written off my Endura bibs, Rapha base layer, both have massive holes in, cut my Assos gloves and foot warmers.

Scuffed up all the shifters, cut through the bar tape and worn down the bars.

My leg, knee, hip, arm, shoulder and fingers are all bloody as hell and hurt like a mofo in the shower.

A couple of cars stopped and let me sit down in the warm for a few minutes, then the mountain rescue land rover randomly drove past, so they stuck my bike on the roof, bandaged me up and brought me home! Couldn't ride as the bars/shifters were all twisted and my knee/leg was gushing.

how well did MR patch you up? worn an area larger than the palm of your hand off? head to MIU (not A&E tbh) to get it checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom