2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
Sorry to say guys, but these new haswell machines are full of bugs

I have the top spec 15" model

1. Jerky (Yep, it DOES happen to the 15" model as well, not just the 13")
2. Kernel Panics https://discussions.apple.com/message/23719491#23719491
3. Fan noise 100% (happens to me when importing iphotos, but had it on desktop as well)
4. Hosted media streaming files, work one minute, buffer and crash the next

Checked on mac forums and there's loads of posts about various issues. I've done all the updates but still nothings fixed. £2,200 for this!!

This is my first mac (had one for a month 10 years ago which I returned due to constant spinning wheel), I was shocked to see they still suffered from kernel pacnis. Really liked this machine but as a power user, it doesn't deliver.

Going to contact apple tomorrow to get my name down, think I have 30 days to return? I'll see what they say but I can't be paying all that money on something which has issues, that may or may not be resolved.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
My Iris Pro only rMBP is running perfectly. It runs smooth and I have had zero crashes, I push it hard with windows 8.1 in parallels 9 plus a load of other programs open at the same time including aperture.

It seems to be the 750m machines that are having issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a 750M machine and it's been fine so far - no jerkiness, no crashes, no audible fan noise. I've used in for 8-9 hours a day for a week without any crashes. No video editing but I've been pushing it pretty hard with Xcode/Photoshop/Illustrator.

Soldato
Yeah it's very strange

If it was a software glitch, then Tunney would also be having issues. Since he's not, it sounds like hardware. Guess it's a return to apple then :(

Really don't want to return it, love this machine....just wish it was ok

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it's very strange

If it was a software glitch, then Tunney would also be having issues. Since he's not, it sounds like hardware. Guess it's a return to apple then :(

Really don't want to return it, love this machine....just wish it was ok

That's not even close to true. Just because you are and one person isn't or hasn't yet is no where near enough to be sure whether your experiencing a software or hardware problem.

It could easily be 3rd party software not ready for Mavericks. You need to do some real troubleshooting. The Kernel Panic message tells you what caused it. Console logs and activity monitor also help trouble shooting when fans spin up what else is running, using high cpu. How many photos are you importing, from where. etc etc. So many variables it's certainly not as clean cut as you're making out.

I suspect part of the problem is your unfamiliarity with the OS. IE You couldn't figure out how to right click trash items a few days ago etc.

But look if you're having buyers remorse (you have 14 days to return) then just return it. Otherwise do some troubleshooting.

Associate
Jonney: perhaps your particular config is backordered?

Mine has taken a different route: instead of China -> South Korea -> Kazakhstan -> Germany, it's gone straight from China -> Dubai -> Germany. Was expecting it to be in the UK by this morning, seems like it won't be the case though. Quite impressed that it was still moving on a Sunday though.

Soldato
What was the config and estimated dispatch to begin with? Most configs are within 24hr except those with 16GB which are 1-2 weeks.

If the set dispatch has been and gone and you still don't have a tracking number then give them a nudge via online chat support. Otherwise sit tight.

Soldato
That's not even close to true. Just because you are and one person isn't or hasn't yet is no where near enough to be sure whether your experiencing a software or hardware problem.

It could easily be 3rd party software not ready for Mavericks. You need to do some real troubleshooting. The Kernel Panic message tells you what caused it. Console logs and activity monitor also help trouble shooting when fans spin up what else is running, using high cpu. How many photos are you importing, from where. etc etc. So many variables it's certainly not as clean cut as you're making out.

I suspect part of the problem is your unfamiliarity with the OS. IE You couldn't figure out how to right click trash items a few days ago etc.

But look if you're having buyers remorse (you have 14 days to return) then just return it. Otherwise do some troubleshooting.

You are right about me being unfamiliar with the OS, that was actually one of the reasons for me buying it. It's new and fresh, and exciting. I really didn't want yet another PC. Definitely not buyers remorse, but yes, after spending over £2,000 I don't want to be left with a lemon (IF, that's what it is).

However, many of the issues I had with right-clicking wasn't down to user error. It resolved itself after a reboot. Maybe just one of those things. I'll keep my eye on it.

The fans are quite random. I wouldn't call importing a few photos (approx 300) from a USB3 external HDD to the internal SDD to be taxing. They don't always do it. That's the issue. I can be sat on the desktop and they will spin up like crazy. I've not got that much software installed, it's pretty much just Mavericks installed, iPhoto, iMovies, iWorks.

Sounds to me like it 'could' be a driver issue with the 750M (seems to be quite common on the mac forums. I wouldn't like to think 3rd party software could cause the OS to kernel panic and reboot. Mavericks should at least have a kernel on par with Windows. Yes, software crashes, but it shouldn't take the OS down with it. This is why I'm thinking it's down to a buggy driver.

If all else fails and it is hardware, I think I have 30 days to return. Like I say, really love the laptop, I'm getting on well with it so I don't want to send it back if I can help it.

Soldato
You have 14 days to return not 30. I would get yourself booked into an Apple store to speak to a 'Genius' if you can reproduce the issue they should be able to help you or at least advise you, if it is a hardware defect they'll get it swapped but if it's BTO you will have to wait for it to be dispatched again.

Or if you don't want to chance it just contact them via support and they'll handle the exchange for a new machine. But if you went via Quidco then you'll need to faff with returning and reordering :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah my quidco tracked already, still doing some research and chatting to other dGPU owners to see how they're getting on

Fan issues: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23743141#23743141
Could be normal, perhaps the dGPU just gets hot at idle causing the fans to spin to cool everything down. Just assumed the dGPU would be off when using the iris

I'll keep everyone updated in case anyone has a similar issue

Last edited:
Soldato
What was the config and estimated dispatch to begin with? Most configs are within 24hr except those with 16GB which are 1-2 weeks.

If the set dispatch has been and gone and you still don't have a tracking number then give them a nudge via online chat support. Otherwise sit tight.

dispatched bween 1-3 days and expected delivery from 14th-18th November.

should have tracking number by now?

16gb is the one i went for.

Back
Top Bottom