2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
I just want to say how much I love this 13" MacBook Pro. It's just incredible.
I even managed to play some WoW on it yesterday.

1680x1050 seems to be the best resolution for me giving a good balance between space and readability. It's fun to switch it in to 2560x1600 to show off though.

Got the same set up, I was not too sure at first but it is pretty amazing, even getting in some game like all my steam MAC games such as batman, some tf2, some minecraft. And it stays a lot cooler then my old machine, if I kick the fans up it stays below 70c which is really impressive for such a tiny frame.

Associate
Been keeping tabs on this thread for a while now. Currently on holiday in Asia, checking the prices of the macbook pros here, I've gone and ordered a 15' fully loaded.

Can't believe the price difference mainly due to tax I guess. Near enough a £900 saving.

Have to buy the AppleCare when I get back, will have to live without the '£' key. But I can cope.

Was umming and arring over the 13 or 15 inch dilemma. But the more I spec it up the more I save. Already using a 13 mbp, so give the 15 a go.

Suppose to arrive latest the day before I fly back. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got any sleeves for the 15" Retina model that they'd recommend? I've been thinking about getting one of the Incase sleeves (this)...

Soldato
jonney, trust me....you're gonna LOVE IT

You definitely made the right decision. Will this be your first mac? if so, man you're in for a treat :cool:

Not had a crash since I added my external HDD to spotlights privacy settings. It's really good now :D

Soldato
Nice one Glen, a Mac is not supposed to crash like you had!

No, whilst I still think there are issues (such as the 750M driver bug) and I hate to admit it, but I think the Kernel in W8 is better than Mavericks, I am really enjoying it. I can see the pros and cons in both, but at the end of the day, I do get the feeling that Mavericks helps keep the OS cleaner than windows. Can't see me having to rebuild the OS just to give it a clean-up :D

but yeah, I'm loving it, and it's nice to have a change after using windows since the days of 3.0. There are things that do seem a little long winded, but once I learn the keyboard commands I'll be wizzing around

contemplating if I need a 27" monitor hooked up?

Permabanned
OP
My 2.3Ghz, 16Gb, Iris Pro 15" 2013 rMBP is the best computer I have ever owned and I have owned a few!

I am sat on my sofa working with the following open...

Safari - 14 tabs
Outlook 2011 - Exchange
MacMail - 2 Accounts open
Evernote
Wunderlist
iMessage
Tweetdeck
Spotify Premium playing music
Numbers
IA Writer
Excel 2011
Word 2011
I keep opening Parallels 9 with Windows 8.1

I have been sat here an hour, everything is snappy and smooth, the laptop is only slightly warm and I have 92% battery left with 7 hours remaining. All with state of the art quad core Haswell, fast 0T command 16Gb Ram, PCI Express storage, great stereo speakers, 2880x1800 screen and fast integrated graphics. Amazing.

I am continually blown away by this thing and I have been using computers since the ZX Spectrum in 1982. It such a joy to be able to work on battery like this without worrying that I will need to plug in within 2 hours. Used to hate the whole battery anxiety thing and its finally gone :)

I know I sound like a fanboy but I take my hat off to you Apple for putting in the effort with these computers.

Caporegime
My 2.3Ghz, 16Gb, Iris Pro 15" 2013 rMBP is the best computer I have ever owned and I have owned a few!

I am sat on my sofa working with the following open...

Safari - 14 tabs
Outlook 2011 - Exchange
MacMail - 2 Accounts open
Evernote
Wunderlist
iMessage
Tweetdeck
Spotify Premium playing music
Numbers
IA Writer
Excel 2011
Word 2011
I keep opening Parallels 9 with Windows 8.1

I have been sat here an hour, everything is snappy and smooth, the laptop is only slightly warm and I have 92% battery left with 7 hours remaining. All with state of the art quad core Haswell, fast 0T command 16Gb Ram, PCI Express storage, great stereo speakers, 2880x1800 screen and fast integrated graphics. Amazing.

I am continually blown away by this thing and I have been using computers since the ZX Spectrum in 1982. It such a joy to be able to work on battery like this without worrying that I will need to plug in within 2 hours. Used to hate the whole battery anxiety thing and its finally gone :)

I know I sound like a fanboy but I take my hat off to you Apple for putting in the effort with these computers.

I'm buying one of these very soon.

Any chance you can play a HD file from youtube or iPlayer for like 5 minutes and see what effect it has on the fans? (I know OS X and adobe flash don't play nice, just want to see if extra oomph in the CPU and GPU and Mavericks have helped in this regard).

rp2000

Soldato

Any chance you can play a HD file from youtube or iPlayer for like 5 minutes and see what effect it has on the fans? (I know OS X and adobe flash don't play nice, just want to see if extra oomph in the CPU and GPU and Mavericks have helped in this regard).

rp2000

I watched a 35GB BluRay ISO on it and the fans never came on

That said, when importing a handful of photos in iphotos they did :confused:

That was pre EFI update so not sure if they fixed it. Still, video watching seems solid as far as fans are concerned

Permabanned
OP

rp2000

Was watching 1080p Xbox One videos on YouTube full screen for ages last night. Hardly got warm and the fans did not kick in.

rMBP 2013 is much improved from last year.

Soldato
jonney, trust me....you're gonna LOVE IT

You definitely made the right decision. Will this be your first mac? if so, man you're in for a treat :cool:

Not had a crash since I added my external HDD to spotlights privacy settings. It's really good now :D

o man i am loving it and yea it is my first mac.

i used the previous gen version though for a contract gig i did with the BBC and was bloody amazed but it was works laptop not mine.

I now have my own and i am absolutely in love with this bad boy.

That looks sweet!

Pics or it doesn't happen :D

are you able to view the images below?

1470092_10202480989490642_437834082_n.jpg

1466118_10202481572825225_1174667230_n.jpg

Associate
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but can anybody recommend a decent hardshell case to protect a 15" RMBP?

My 2010 MBP got quite a battering through not having it protected and really I'd rather not have my rMBP receive the same treatment!

Soldato
Just got my 15" delivered this afternoon. Looking forward having a play on it tonight after only really getting to see it properly instore.

I'm after a sleeve too, and whilst the Incase one looks and feels nice (the inside is incredibly soft) I've read that it's not a particularly snug fit given it also fits non-Retina versions?

Back
Top Bottom