2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
I'm buying one of these very soon.

Any chance you can play a HD file from youtube or iPlayer for like 5 minutes and see what effect it has on the fans? (I know OS X and adobe flash don't play nice, just want to see if extra oomph in the CPU and GPU and Mavericks have helped in this regard).

rp2000

They fixed that a while back. My 2011 MBP stays on integrated graphics and doesn't utter a murmur with CPU running at 5-10%, where my older machine had the fans screaming after a minute or so.

Caporegime
I watched a 35GB BluRay ISO on it and the fans never came on

That said, when importing a handful of photos in iphotos they did :confused:

That was pre EFI update so not sure if they fixed it. Still, video watching seems solid as far as fans are concerned

Was watching 1080p Xbox One videos on YouTube full screen for ages last night. Hardly got warm and the fans did not kick in.

rMBP 2013 is much improved from last year.

They fixed that a while back. My 2011 MBP stays on integrated graphics and doesn't utter a murmur with CPU running at 5-10%, where my older machine had the fans screaming after a minute or so.
Thank you all! It's replacing an early 2008 mbp :)

rp2000

Associate
Had a play with the new retina MBP 13" at Apple store and one word WOW!

I'm going to order mine within the next 10 days, can't wait.

What's the waiting time like?

Last edited:
Associate
Had a play with the new retina MBP 13" at Apple store and one word WOW!

I'm going to order mine within the next 10 days, can't wait.

What's the waiting time like?

It can depend on which option you choose. My mbpr 13 2.4/8/256 was showing as despatched within 24hrs on the site. I bought on a sunday night and received thursday morning

Don
Is anyone else getting high CPU usage in Chrome while watching videos or scrolling web pages? Safari is fine though.
I'd use Safari but I can't seem to find certain extensions that are useful for moderating this forum of ours.

Soldato
Is anyone else getting high CPU usage in Chrome while watching videos or scrolling web pages? Safari is fine though.
I'd use Safari but I can't seem to find certain extensions that are useful for moderating this forum of ours.

How high are we talking? Unfortunately Chrome uses much more power than Safari, so you'll find that battery life will be a fair bit worse under Chrome.

Associate
Also went for the 13 2.4/8/256 and loving it, although still kind of wondering if I should've gone for the 16GB.

Only complaint so far is Skype seems to absolutely nail the battery! Had a 50 min video call last night and it used about 40% of the battery with nothing else running and screen brightness around halfway! CPU load was going crazy, fan kicked in and the area around the vents got seriously toasty.

Associate
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but can anybody recommend a decent hardshell case to protect a 15" RMBP?

My 2010 MBP got quite a battering through not having it protected and really I'd rather not have my rMBP receive the same treatment!

I've used Speck hard shell cases for my last two MacBooks. I like them. And will buy another for my next one.

Associate
I've used Speck hard shell cases for my last two MacBooks. I like them. And will buy another for my next one.

I had considered the Speck cases and am a bit of a speck fan myself as I've always used their cases on my iPhones, however I've seen reports that they crack around the edges after a while? Have you ever noticed this issue at al?

Associate
My 16GB 13" which was originally delayed for 1 month (shipping 12th December) is now 'preparing for despatch' with a delivery date of Monday 18th Nov. So it looks like the RAM modules came through quicker than expected.

Back
Top Bottom