Viewing shared folders on Android

Associate
Missus has just moved to a Note 10.1 instead of a laptop, and i'm sorting out the network storage for her.

Currently, she's space on the network which is available through ES File Explorer within the LAN section, but requires some work to get it (3-4 folders deep in the tree).

Is there a way I can set up ES or another file system so that upon opening the app her shared area is the first thing visible?

Secondly, I have folders on there that I want to keep hidden, and in time when the kids have tablets i'll want to hide the age-limited movies etc. I was doing this by using the $ at the end of the shared name, but it appears that Android displays hidden shared folders. Any idea how I can share folders but not have them displayed in ES or similar?

Associate
I use Root Explorer, so YMMV.

When I set up a SMB location, I can specify the folder I want (IP/share/folder)

For the hidden folder bit, name things .name rather than name$ (or perhaps .name$ so things are hidden in both)

Associate
ES file explorer can create desktop shortcuts to folders that are on the phone, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a network folder, but I'm not at home so I can't try.

1) Go on to your network through ES file explorer so you can see the folder you wish to create a shortcut to
2) Hold down on the folder so that it becomes ticked.
3) Press the Menu button and select the More option
4) Select Add to Desktop

Selecting the desktop shortcut should open the folder with ES File Explorer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom