• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 280X awful performance on BF4

Associate
Guys

Radeon 280x vapour, tried in 2 different rigs now, all show very very low performance.

Tried latest drivers, can't think of anything else to try.

Its like the framerate is low and the card only operates at 50% usage, very slow and sluggish.

Other games seem to work fine however.

Any ideas?

Caporegime
Guys

Radeon 280x vapour, tried in 2 different rigs now, all show very very low performance.

Tried latest drivers, can't think of anything else to try.

Its like the framerate is low and the card only operates at 50% usage, very slow and sluggish.

Other games seem to work fine however.

Any ideas?

CPU?

BF 4 multiplayer needs some serious CPU power to get the best out of it.

Soldato
Multiplayer or Singleplayer? If you playing on busy 64 player servers unless you have a Core i7 or 8320/8350 highly clocked CPU frame rate will be a struggle or at least that was my experience from BF4 BETA.

Associate
OP
Guys CPU is I7 920 @ 3.6

We have tried it in my system also which is i7 920 @ 4ghz

Both systems same problem, framerate is awful, and only pulls 50% gpu usage, and its all over the place, honestly looks like its running at 30 fps!

My gtx 670 however pulls full load on both systems and is smooth and keeps a nice framerate.

Just cant see how a new card would perform so badly

Metro and the new batman run fine no frame issues and smooth as silk.

Associate
OP
Run GPU-z or something in background to see if clocks are being set at the right level. It may be forcing a lower speed due to driver issues.

I think its this, why would other games pull 99% usage and BF4 is at 50% dipping up and down to 30%.

Must be a driver issue but its so annoying seeing as AMD tout this to be a BF4 card!

Caporegime
Guys CPU is I7 920 @ 3.6

We have tried it in my system also which is i7 920 @ 4ghz

Both systems same problem, framerate is awful, and only pulls 50% gpu usage, and its all over the place, honestly looks like its running at 30 fps!

My gtx 670 however pulls full load on both systems and is smooth and keeps a nice framerate.

Just cant see how a new card would perform so badly

I have an i7 930 D0 @ 3.8Ghz and a 7870XT@ 1200 / 1550 , running 1080P at all Ultra / Low post AA and 2x MSAA my minimum FPS are 45 and no less, i don't know as i have not paid that much attention to it: i might be getting 'some' bottlenecking from the CPU, but not much 'if indeed any' certainly i rate the performance of the CPU in BF4 as very good, nothing i have ever been concerned about.

Nor should you be, your CPU is not it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Tried everything guys, as said, the card has been tried on two different systems, each system runs with a GTX 670 fine, smooth as anything.

Put the 280X in and it runs like a complete dog on BF4, its like the card is running at half power/speed.

Other games work fine so it must be a AMD/driver issue.

Not happy as said above, AMD should really sort their drivers out before touting cards as "BF4" friendly.

Soldato
It's not a driver issue as there'd be a lot more people complaining about it :)
As said, what drivers are you using and have you done a thorough uninstall of the old drivers?

Either the card is faulty or there's another issue here IMO.

Soldato
Is your PSU up to the job?

The stock R280x is rated to 250 W, where as the GTX 670 is 170 W.

Given the overclocked i7 920 is certainly pulling a lot as well.

Associate
OP
PSU is 700w

We have put the I7 back to stock and it does the same thing, games like batman and metro pull 99% gpu usuage so the drivers must be isntalled correctly as these games run perfectly.

Fire up BF4 and it runs like a complete dog, with gpu spikes everywhere.

Just dont know what else to try.

rest of the system is

Gigabyte EX58 UD3
6GB Ram
Win 8
I7 920

It also does the same thing in my system.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you try un-parking the cpu cores?

I had to do that on the i7 860 as bf4 was stuttering really badly with a 7970 matrix.

Try disabling hyperthreading first though in the motherboard bios and if that works, then un-park the cores with one of many guides on the net.

Associate
So other games run fine, this indicates software/driver issue.

Have both these systems been wiped, the only relation I see between the two systems is that they both run nvidia cards prior to you testing this card.

If either of the systems has not been wiper I'd suggest this being your next step.

Back
Top Bottom