Windows 8 freezing up

Associate
I upgraded to Windows 8.1 a couple of weeks ago. It ran smooothly for 2 or 3 days, then i started getting freeze ups after around an hour where explorer & other apps would just stop responding.

I initally thought it was down to something with 8.1 - tried a reinstall anyway & nothing changed - tried going back to just 8.0 ,got myself back to where i was just before the 8.1 install & find that 8.0 was now freezing up as well.

I thought this was now down to a hardware fault now & have rulled out my GPU , memory & ssd so far (nothing is overclocked & temps are all low). So that leaves me with motherboard & cpu & PSU.

What out of motherboard & cpu & PSU is most likley to be the dodgy part, causing the freeze up - I'm thinking PSU myself - but would jusy like some other opinions on this & also is there anything else worth while looking at ??

Thanks..

Associate
OP
Yes ,my first thoughts were to memory as well - i have 4*4gb gskill ripjaws sticks & i had done memtest on each stick & on different slots.

So all 4 sticks were passing memtest OK with each stick installed individuly in different slots, but when running windows i was still getting freezes after a bit.... so assumed memory was ok as all sticks were the same & showing no errors on memtest.

Back
Top Bottom