Do I need an ESTA?

Soldato
Hi,

Do I need to obtain an ESTA for the following travel?

1 - UK to Vancouver by air.

2 - Vancouver to Seattle by road.

3 - Seattle to New York by air.

4 - New York to UK by air.

My initial research says no up until point 4 where I am at a loss. Do I need an ESTA to travel out of the USA internationally.

I am a British citizen.

Thanks!

Soldato
I would say you don't need one (assuming your flight is direct and doesn't stop in the us)
but the flipside is that it costs $14 and lasts for two years so might be value for money if you want piece of mind! US border control are a pain in the...

Caporegime
let me google that for you
first result for "canada to usa esta"
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1094/~/do-i-need-to-apply-for-esta

there you go ;)

I am a citizen of a VWP country and am visiting the U.S. from Canada or Mexico?

If you are coming by land, you do not need to have ESTA authorization, however, you should return your green I-94W card upon departure. If you are arriving by air or sea, you do need to apply for ESTA. You should return your green I-94W to the airline representative prior to boarding your flight.

Man of Honour
You do NOT need an ESTA for this. I did exactly this 2 months ago without issue. You will be sent to secondary screening when you reach Peace Arch crossing just south of Vancouver where you can fill in an I94-W form and be on your way after about 20 minutes.

No big deal, don't buy an ESTA because it's of no use to you.

An ESTA is an authorisation to board an aircraft or a ship bound for the USA. You are doing neither of these things so will not need one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom