**XBOX ONE** Official Thread

Soldato
I thought it was all about next gen graphics? and consoles catching up with mid-high end pc's for the most part but they seem miles away if forza5 is anything to go by.

lets face it the majority of pc games graphics have been stagnating for years and most of us were happy about the new consoles expected them to bring on the push for higher res textures , lighting effects , shadows etc but it appears it won't be the push we were expecting

i got 60 solid in time trial and around 30-40 with over 12 cars , 60 odd cars dropped me down to the low 20's but that might have been mainly because I was using an amd x6 1055t @ stock back when I still had a toolpack to it

how are you playing that game, is it an open beta or something? kinda wanna give it a try despite not being into car games :/

Man of Honour
I wasn't aware PS4 had commands till you have just stated that. Shows how much Sony value the voice feature. Kinect has been a major selling of the Xbox One. The performance in the Polygon stream of the voice commands is unacceptable for a console at the specified price and for the attention Microsoft have given it in terms of O/S integration and marketing.

It be fine if it worked and can view many uses for it, but it's just not functional.
And yet Eurogamer stated that for them, it worked over 90% of the time. I imagine it's just learning how to use it properly: speaking clearly, speaking at a certain speed, things like that. I watched a video with an IGN guy constantly speaking too fast, yet wondering why it failed. When he slowed down for his second attempt, it worked every time.

Soldato
And yet Eurogamer stated that for them, it worked over 90% of the time. I imagine it's just learning how to use it properly: speaking clearly, speaking at a certain speed, things like that. I watched a video with an IGN guy constantly speaking too fast, yet wondering why it failed. When he slowed down for his second attempt, it worked every time.

Do you want to slowly talk to your games console though? Voice commands should be used as an accessibility feature and leave it there in my opinion lol.

Associate

I think you should use the live stream and see that the people are speaking normally, so why is it not functioning correctly I wonder?

Over 90% of the time? So not all the time then? How many commands did they give it in total? Intriguing.

Perhaps you are exactly right that a person has to speak slowly and clearly when talking to the XboxOne. As a result, this means its totally useless when friends are over, at parties and other social occasions.

Maybe it's easier to use the controller. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the 'snap' feature. Sadly, it's too inconsistent for me and I assume many others to part with my money for this console.

Caporegime
how are you playing that game, is it an open beta or something? kinda wanna give it a try despite not being into car games :/
it was done like a kickstarter and you could buy into the alpha but you can't any more.

hopefully it comes to next gen consoles so we can get a good idea of what they might be capable of.

what worries me is all that ram and so far from the limited videos I've seen there not making use of it for textures

Man of Honour
Do you want to slowly talk to your games console though? Voice commands should be used as an accessibility feature and leave it there in my opinion lol.
I don't mean speaking slowly like you're talking to someone foreign and you hope that if you leave several seconds between each word he'll understand you ;) On the IGN video, all the guy had to do was have a split second pause between the word "Xbox" and then the rest of what he wanted to do.

There was a great video earlier in the thread showing someone using it pretty much perfectly (bar the odd hiccup). I'll find it and quote it again.

Associate
Furthermore, if a user has to speak clearly for XboxOne to recognise the vocal command then how does that affect games such as Call of Duty, Battlefield or other games that may have vocal commands? I say this because when I play games and imagine using vocal commands instead of controller, by the time I've spoken a particular word 'slowly and clearly' then my gaming character will be shot dead.

Man of Honour
Furthermore, if a user has to speak clearly for XboxOne to recognise the vocal command then how does that affect games such as Call of Duty, Battlefield or other games that may have vocal commands? I say this because when I play games and imagine using vocal commands instead of controller, by the time I've spoken a particular word 'slowly and clearly' then my gaming character will be shot dead.
Watch the video above.

Soldato
Damn that sure seems like a whole catalogue of games and this gen has only launched LOL. Argh I completely forgot about Killer Instinct and everything I've seen so far regarding it makes it seem a very worthwhile purchase.

Which was why when ubisoft announced they were delaying watchdogs I was so happy :)

I also have project spark and Titan fall on preorder as well.

I also picked up a day one live sub as well as that gets you an additional KI character (shadow jago i think)

I just hope it is as fun as I remember as fighting games seem to have very technical of late.

Soldato
The current gen didn't look that much of a leap when they cane out and look what they achieved down the line, launch games never look that good they will improve .

Soldato
So my ATV2 has died...which means I can't watch my films and shows on my TV anymore in a convenient way.

I could either get another small box device to play them or could the XB1 do this? I only want

1 - Plays MKV files
2 - play them at 1080p if possible
3 - Dolby 5.1 or DTS (this is important)

It won't play that format.

A better bet would be the WDTV Live for £50. That plays absolutely everything, can stream over network. Does MKV at 1080p with DTS / 5.1 without an issue.

Because Sony and MS don't seem to want to let us play other video formats outside of their store, I looked elsewhere.

Soldato
Don't quote the troll please - Davey

Aside from the terribad crowds, and comparing to bullshot videos, people have compared the gameplay at E3 and the release version and there are also some upgrades..

I was starting to think they'd really messed up, but watching the DF High bitrate videos, it is still next gen, awesome looking game..

I am going down to pick up my brothers XB1 tomorrow, if they have any XB1s spare, I m may impulse buy, as I want both consoles anyway, and the leap in quality over this gen looks good to my eyes.

Caporegime
Let's drop the graphics comparisons please, that's not what this thread is for.

Exactly, it's for email delivery status ;)

Come on though it's far more relevant to the console and games than 'my door bell hasn't rung yet'.

Listening to this weeks bombcast on the way in this morning, sounds like they are really enjoying the new xbox. As I thought they say the initial layout is a mess so quicker to use voice commands.

One area MS seemed to have tried to tighten which will end up a nightmare is game saves and system storage. You no longer have any control and everything is pushed to the cloud. That sucks.

No longer being able to 2 stage save where you back up a save just in case. I could write a book on the number of glitches in games that backing up a save to stick etc has saved me woes. Or like Gears where everyone backed up online progress to cloud of mem stick so you could roll back if you got server side reset. This has happened a lot.

I look at achieve guides a lot and the number of times people have glitched saves etc and you are warned to back up a save has been a high percentage of the games I have played.

I do not like not being able to exit and back up a save. It's saved me so many times, even on xbla games like cloning clyde. I do not like being limited to the latest save that will push to cloud as you exit the game.

On the whole the system and voice stuff sounds so much better that I thought. Going to order one to come before xmas from game with Ghosts I think.

Back
Top Bottom