Finance deals

Associate
Hi,

I walked into a local ford dealer today to look into finance options on the focus. This is not a finance vs purchase discussion please.

I have a written finance deal on the 125ps echo boost Zetec with a few extra options.

What is the best way of now trying to improve the deal? Will all ford garages offer basically the same deal as ford provide the finance? Are there any brokers I should look into online to see what offers they can do and try and push ford?

The dealer is offering 2k for my old fiesta aswell as a 1700 deposit contribution

It basically equates to 500 deposit and roughly 320 a month

No servicing etc included.

And help is much appreciated

Thanks

Soldato
Check prices on Carfile.net and broadspeed. See what other brokers can do, but accept paying a bit more for it being your local garage if you are desperate to do the deal with them.

I managed to get within about £200 of a car file price for my mum on her Ka that she bought a year ago, and for the ability to get the car locally, £200 worth worth it.

Things like Mats, Fuel, Tax, iPod cables/whatever are a total 'these are totally getting thrown in'. You have to be getting those.

Try things like Service packs. Tell them you don't care where they make up the money from (skiming profit off your part ex/profit in the car) if they say 'I can't discount XYZ'.

Associate
OP
Thanks,

Just checking the cost of the vehicle is £19,878.00

Car file offers the titanium x for £18,411 which basically is the above spec plus more

However does not mention finance options available

Soldato
The dealers can do it.

Try contacting carfile and see what they offer. Ask for it in writing to ready through with the wife.

Take it to your dealership. See what they can do.

Be willing to sign there and then. Helps push it through

Soldato
Get yourself into the firmest offer on cost to change first. Finance is irrelevant up to this point.

All the brokering sites offer finance btw - though it might not be at great rates.

Only once you've figured this out should you consider finance. Calculate the total cost to be repaid and look at the Apr (ignore whatever ******** the dealer tries to tell you) then just run some online quotes on the same loan sum and see if you can get it any better, whether this changes the deal you'll get from who ever you are purchasing the car from and take it from there.

Goes without saying but check paperwork before you sign. I had a pug dealer try to tell me an Apr of 9 percent was right despite us agreeing on closer to half that sum. Ultimately it was fixed and i got finance at a lower rate than i coukd anywhe else but i can guarantee they thought i would scribble a signature on without reading. Don't assume these guys know what they are talking about - most of their customers don't

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Many thanks for the helpful comments,

As mentioned the cost of the car ford quoted was £19,878.00.

For the same spec broadspeed show it as £15,530.

Ford have given me £2000 part x for my old fiesta aswell as a £1700 deposit allowance. Should I take this into account when summarising the total value of the car? Ie I should not expect the discount mentioned above if I can get them down to 15k something? Or should I still push for it?

Any help much appreciated!

Soldato
I think you need to do what the previous poster said and look at price to change.

If you go to a few garages and get part ex prices, you get a 'feel' for what it is worth. Granted, some garages will offer more, because there is more margin in the car you are buying off them, but it gives you a broad feel as to the car value. At a £2k part ex price, some garages just won't be interested in it and as such you'll get a poor offer.

£1700 deposit allowance sounds like £1700 off the sticker price.

I'd contact broad speed and they'll get a dealer to call you. I know someone on here got a 0% APR deal quotation through a broker on a Skoda Octavia VRS, and whilst it was slightly more expensive than the deal online without finance, it was a big enough stick to beat his local dealer down a fair chunk.

IMO, if you can get it for £15.5 with a broker - presuming no finance and part ex to deal with - and you are effectively being offered the car for £18.1 isn with this deposit allowance 'thing' you still have plenty more to come off the price at your local garage before you've got a good deal, irrespective of finance.

By plenty more, I'm thinking a 4 figure number doesn't seem unreasonable, but not knowing what finance you are looking at and your personal situation, I don't know if there will be a 1 or a 2 at the front. of this number.

Associate
OP
Many thanks, I get what you mean regarding the deposit allowance.

My fiesta is a 2001, coming up to 100k and not in great nick. So worth very little.

I have left my details on broadspeed and submitted a request. Anyone any experience on how long before you hear anything?

If I could get it to nearer the 15k figure, even inc part exchanging my vehicle I'd be happy. I think?

I'm probably hoping to pay around 250 a month with as small as possible deposit. To make my monthly payments of 250 using the current quote I would need to pay a 3k deposit

Soldato
Personally I'd aim for a maximum of the bs price less 500 including your car. Should you go the broad speed option you get 500 for it all day long ( realistically more but that's a minimum).

Just take in the broad speed price and tell them you'll need to get a better or matching deal from them overall or that's where you'll be going. In terms of finance you'll get good rates on a personal loan at that kind of amount just now ( assuming good credit) which is also worth considering.

Check at least one of the other brokers for price too

Obviously I don't know your options list but a 125 zetec is 13k with none from drivethedeal. A titanium x nav with cruise, rear park assist, part leather ( possibly std) and metallic paint is 17.3k.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It was a Zetec with the appearance pack and convenience pack. The titanium x is going to be a little to far away out of my budget, although I would have course love it!

Soldato
Just be careful with expectations of that value - £2k is not a figure you'll ever actually get even remotely close to for a 2001 Fiesta so they'll never give you the Focus for £15.3k less that. They were just dressing up what little discount you were being offered a different way.

If you mean the £500 then I reckon that's sensible, as per above

Associate
OP
Hi,

Yes I was going on the £500 figure, titanium appears to be not much more than what I spec'd however you do not get the parking sensors etc.

Thanks for the comments, I will contact the dealer tomorrow!

Soldato
Hi,

Yes I was going on the £500 figure, titanium appears to be not much more than what I spec'd however you do not get the parking sensors etc.

Thanks for the comments, I will contact the dealer tomorrow!

Does it have to be a ford? If you don't feel your getting the best deal, try and haggle with other dealerships in your area.

Your spending a lot of money, and no other dealership will want to fob you off. Its worth a try.

Soldato
We got a deal on a 1.0l ecoboost titanium x in candy blue for £15500 so they can do it. PCB's work better the less deposit you put in and the annual mileage can make a huge difference..

Associate
OP
Had the brokers ring me today and basically said what I was after. Also had the main Ford garage ring and basically said really like the car however, I've seen it advertised for circa the 15k mark and for me to be interested they would have to cut the price down a lot.

They said find a comparable quote and they will match it. I will forward them the broker information however its not a formal quote so I doubt they will accept that, but good signs.

ChrisCatt, that's a cracking price, was it for the 100 or 125ps? Do you mind if i ask when/from and what sort of PCB deal you are on?

Back
Top Bottom