Spec me some fun

Associate
Hi chaps,

Looking to get something a bit fun to replace my Civic sport I've had for a few years now.

Criteria:

~£8000
Ideally a coupe or convertible - 2 seater
Reasonably fast.

I'm considering:

Nissan 350z
BMW Z4

But would like to get some other opinions.

As I work from home on average 4 days a week my mileage is quite low and therefore don't need something massively economical.

Thanks,

David

Soldato
I know it isn't a two seater, and i know it's more than reasonably fast - but since you're already looking at 290bhp cars - i would be looking at an E46 M3 if i had £8000 now. Should get a 2002-2004 plate one with 70-100k miles - although getting a good one is a bit of a minefield.

I get the feeling you are just after been after a semi-fast car around 6-7 years old, but just an option in case i was wrong or you hadn't thought of yourself in an M3.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll get flamed for this, but from what you have said, I'd go MX5 over S2000.

You are saying pretty fast, from a Civic Sport which probably does 0-60 in about 10 seconds. An MX5 will feel like a decent step up.

I think the S2000 will be too focused for you. I'm saying that as a total s2000 fanboy. You can really grow your driving skill in an mx5. You'll end up binning an s2000. Plenty on here have done the same.

Soldato
I know it isn't a two seater, and i know it's more than reasonably fast - but since you're already looking at 290bhp cars - i would be looking at an E46 M3 if i had £8000 now. Should get a 2002-2004 plate one with 70-100k miles - although getting a good one is a bit of a minefield.

I get the feeling you are just after been after a semi-fast car around 6-7 years old, but just an option in case i was wrong or you hadn't thought of yourself in an M3.

I think an M3 is way a above what the op wants.

It's also in a totally different class to the 350z, irrespective of bhp.

Associate
OP

You are saying pretty fast, from a Civic Sport which probably does 0-60 in about 10 seconds. An MX5 will feel like a decent step up.

I think the S2000 will be too focused for you. I'm saying that as a total s2000 fanboy. You can really grow your driving skill in an mx5. You'll end up binning an s2000. Plenty on here have done the same.

The only issue with the MX-5 i have is the looks, it's far too....feminie for my tastes. Then again when I last looked it was a few years back, maybe they've beefed it up since then.

Soldato

Whilst I see your point, something like an mx5/mr2 won't feel like any sort of power step up - particularly if he has already driven any of the cars mentioned. Its definitely an option but it would need to be taken eyes open r.e how much get up and go it has

I couldn't pass up on a 350z or z4 3.0 for an mx5, but if I were spending a bit less it ( or rather the mr2, I don't like the Mazda) would be an option

Soldato
Define fun for you, this is an important factor.

Do you want a drag machine that will monster the straights?
Do you want a lightweight agile handling machine to attack B roads?
Do you want a loose slidey chassis?

Associate
S2000, you can get a well sorted and looked after example for 8k no problem, my mate is selling a very low mileage one for in 5.5K I believe. Lovely cars

If that doesn't tickle your fancy deffo an mx-5. Wouldn't look at a z4 tbh

Soldato
Mx5 or S2000 get my vote (I have had both, crashed my s2000 nearly a year ago though and find the mx5 much more affordable given insurance costs now!)

The Mx5 will be newer for your budget and work out a fair bit cheaper to run. The s2000 is a bit more hardcore, lacks steering feel and the brakes arent as good as the mk3 mx5...but performance wise its a whole level above the mazda and the engine is truly something special, doubt we will see a relatively affordable road car with an engine like this again. Coming from a civic sport even the mx5 will be a huge upgrade in driver enjoyment though.

The mx5 is very benign in terms of handling for a rear wheel drive car, whilst still feeling very balanced and fun, and also has DSC to help keep you pointing the right way and provide you with a bit of a safety net. The s2000 has no such electronic assistance fitted to most models and will merrily spit you off the road if you are a bit too keen and inexperienced with a powerful rwd car...as I found out to my cost.

Soldato
Will I like your MX5, it looks great. The guy is right though, MX5 are very feminine.

OP, 2 seater, fun, pretty fast, looks great, sounds great... 350z.

I do like Z4's though but I would go for the 350z as they are less common.

Sure, there will be some other fast German metal but they can cost a bomb if things go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom