Froch vs Groves

Associate
I think it was only going one way, but he should have been given a standing count to see how he recovered - catch him again then call it off...

Permabanned
I think it was only going one way, but he should have been given a standing count to see how he recovered - catch him again then call it off...

Depending on the rules of the bout there is sometimes no standing count... Just like the 3-knockdown rule.

I have no idea which rules were in effect during the bout but if the ref had the option to give groves a standing count he should never ref another match again.

Soldato
The point is, Groves was still throwing them, the big one Froch landed came straight after Groves caught him again, let them fight it out, it's a fight after all.

MY POINT , was Froch to take them blows is something else, was a dodgy stoppage but the point I was trying to make was his chin must be made of granite or something like.

Caporegime
You wonder how much belief Groves will have for a rematch.

Groves fought to the absolute best of his abilities and although ahead on points, he couldn't stop Froch. Even if it wasn't stopped early, he was done and it would have been over eventually.

Before the fight, he genuinely believed he could knock Froch out or stop him. Now he's tried and failed. Can he truly make himself believe again that he can overcome Froch?

Soldato
What about after a minute when Froch was on his arse ? Was that leaning in Frochs favor ? Or the 7 rounds after that when Groves dominated.

The ref saw an opportunity to give Froch the win so he did.

Bull.

Only bull is your post.

Biased presenters have rounds to Groves but Froch had it down. Don't get me wrong the call as it was was horrific, terrible, bit regardless Frich was going to win.

Have a rematch but there will only be one winner.

Permabanned
You wonder how much belief Groves will have for a rematch.

Groves fought to the absolute best of his abilities and although ahead on points, he couldn't stop Froch. Even if it wasn't stopped early, he was done and it would have been over eventually.

Before the fight, he genuinely believed he could knock Froch out or stop him. Now he's tried and failed. Can he truly make himself believe again that he can overcome Froch?

If there is a rematch Groves should feel he can win it. I was amazed with how easily he won the jab war and if he stays out of trouble (which he is more than capable of doing) then he can out-box Froch to a points win.

Soldato
Epic night in there tonight, highlight is either the entire arena singing you fat ******* to Naz, or the 'Oh ****' moment from the crowd when Froch went down, I can't pick between the two :p.

You could see how badly hurt Froch was even from in the crowd, that's one of the hardest shots I've seen that didn't finish the fight. Another 30 seconds in the round and he would probably have gone.

I felt the fight was close but with Groves ahead, and the same as most people I thought the stoppage was a very poor one. Saying that, having now watched back the Box Office broadcast, I do believe Groves would almost certainly have been stopped had it continued anyway, but it's hugely disappointing that he didn't get the chance. I don't really see how you can ask two people to go to war, then pull one out the first sign of real trouble :confused:

As more of a neutral, I didn't really go with the idea of lets boo Groves and cheer Froch at the beginning, so was happy when by the end Groves had flipped the whole arena, was nice to see him get the recognition that his performance most certainly warranted.

Soldato
Yes stop the fight early if he was losing 6-7 rounds but not when he was easily winning in a title fight...

The lad needed a few more seconds.

By the time the rematch gets round froch will be a year longer in the tooth and groves will be stronger. Match shows froch ain't as good as everyone thinks but my god he us an animal!!

Anyways how come you see Mexicans matches these days when the fighters are almost on their knees and they still let the match go on?

Permabanned
MY POINT , was Froch to take them blows is something else, was a dodgy stoppage but the point I was trying to make was his chin must be made of granite or something like.

YOUR POINT is great, I was merely pointing out why the fight shouldn't have been stopped.

Associate
Stoppage was terrible, one of the worst I've seen, but it was a much closer fight than the commentators were making out. If Froch didn't get the late stoppage he may well have won it on points...

Rematch will be interesting but I have no faith in Boxing's officiating.

Associate
Paper reports I was reading this morning suggesting Froch suffered a fractured jaw in the 1st round knock down. That would certainly explain why he held his head funny.

If true, even more props for lasting out.

Permabanned
Stoppage was terrible, one of the worst I've seen, but it was a much closer fight than the commentators were making out. If Froch didn't get the late stoppage he may well have won it on points...

Rematch will be interesting but I have no faith in Boxing's officiating.

They had the judges scores on SSN earlier, Groves had every round bar one I think it was.

Soldato
Brilliant fight ruined by a very poor decision by the ref.
He should have given Groves a standing count in that situation imho.

**Edit** Just found out no standing count in Pro boxing, that said should have let it go on for a little longer as Groves wasn't that badly hurt and his come back to k.o an opponent before when his been hurt far worse

I love Froch but he was utterly out-classed in that fight

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom